Newly Merged Police/LE/Corrections/Military Use of the Mini-14 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2005, 21:23   #1

Newly Merged Police/LE/Corrections/Military Use of the Mini-14

I don't think the looters would want to see one of these comming their way.....

funny thing is, its not even a GB.
eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 21:23   #2

Newly Merged Police/LE/Corrections/Military Use of the Mini-14

I don't think the looters would want to see one of these comming their way.....

funny thing is, its not even a GB.
Old 08-31-2005, 21:48   #3

wow, is that a real LE or just a volunteer?
with ranch mounted hunting scope, pinned-on brake, and 40rd mag?
Old 08-31-2005, 22:24   #4

I would think that in order to walk around with a weapon you would need some type of credentials. Look at the guys waistband, there is a badge of some sort, marshal of some kind it looks like. They do need help, but they still arent going to let just any joe walk around town with his mini/AR/ak ready to rock. Odd setup though for a LEO IMO. I would think that an AR would be a officers first pick with the options available today, and the ones this guy has chosen for his mini.
Springfield Mil Spec 1911A1
Ruger Mini 14 - Leupold Compact 3X9X33
wolfORACLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 22:41   #5

meh I don't know if its a real cop or not.

would think that an AR would be a officers first pick with the options available today
maybe he still wants a working firearm in case he accidently drops it in the muddy water!

look at these dudes. whats up with the backwards hat. Is he trying to look cool or something?

Old 08-31-2005, 22:51   #6

A Ranch rifle with a Choate stock, pin-on brake and big scope is almost surely not department issue. I'm guessing the guy is with a Sheriff's dept from a smaller parish. It's not uncommon for those guys to carry personally owned weapons. A buddy was a deputy for a small county and at any given time had in his trunk a Mini, a Remington 25-06 (he was sniper trained) and/or a double barrel 12ga (with lead-filled butt, helped with recoil and clubbing).
Shoot! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:24   #7

I would think that in order to walk around with a weapon you would need some type of credentials. Look at the guys waistband, there is a badge of some sort, marshal of some kind it looks like. They do need help, but they still arent going to let just any joe walk around town with his mini/AR/ak ready to rock.
Maybe in California, but "the right to keep and BEAR arms" is still the right of the PEOPLE in most states, hopefully including LA. Although he does appear "official", if I were trying to get my family out amid all the violence, you better believe I'd be "bearing" one of my AR15s, as would my wife.

look at these dudes. whats up with the backwards hat. Is he trying to look cool or something?
What... you never saw the TV series "SWAT"? That's what you DO when you go "into action"... turn your hat around!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:09   #8

I wonder if he's a conservation officer given the green garb and green pick-up in the background??

btw, I was about to post the same pic! Glad I checked first.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:31   #9

I know that Prison gaurds have mini-14's and that they have prisoners that had to evacuate could he be guarding prisoners?

Goeth27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:36   #10

Maybe in California, but "the right to keep and BEAR arms" is still the right of the PEOPLE in most states, hopefully including LA. Although he does appear "official", if I were trying to get my family out amid all the violence, you better believe I'd be "bearing" one of my AR15s, as would my wife.
I understand what your saying, but that looks to be a more downtown/office building oriented area, not a neighborhood area. I don't think they would have an issue with you guarding your own property, but with the situation down there I don't think they would want you out patrolling around unless it was set up by the neighborhood watch etc. They don't need vigilante peacekeepers getting into gun fights over TVs coming out of walmart and stuff like that.

Also, like I said in the first post, look at his waistline, there is a badge of somesort just behind the butt of his rifle.

maybe he still wants a working firearm in case he accidently drops it in the muddy water!
lol!
Springfield Mil Spec 1911A1
Ruger Mini 14 - Leupold Compact 3X9X33
wolfORACLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 14:20   #11

i would say the hat is turned around because the brim would block your upper visablity incase someone leaned out a window or something fell.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
Albert Einstein
Dorkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 17:59   #12

LAST NIGHT ON THE NEWS THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT GOING OUT SIDE OF LOCAL TOWNS AND PARISHS TO GET FIRE ARMS DUE TO THE LACK OF NOT HAVING ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE TO BE WELL ARMED FOR THE PROBLEM AT HAND. I WOULD WANT TO BE ON HIS SIDE OR HIM ON MY SIDE
Old 09-01-2005, 19:22   #13

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here too... After all this horrible mess is over with, I have a BAD feeling about what the anti's AND even the fence riders will say about the OVERWHELMINGLY negative things we hear being done with AKs and other firearms...

It will be EASY for GW to speak out against those "evil assault weapons" used to hijack mail trucks and hospital supplies and TVs and nurses and well, you get the picture.
Old 09-01-2005, 19:30   #14

Maybe next time when they try to pass new gun control laws, people will actually do something about it.Unlike 1994 and 1989 a few people complained but most just went along with it.
WhiteWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 19:52   #15

Problem is though, right now... guns in civilian hands are BAD in New Orleans... I've not heard any stories of an armed civilian "saving the day" with his AK47, but I've seen "Orly" on Fox saying over and over about all the "armed thugs" and "looters with AKs"...

Unless positive stories come to light that involve semi-auto weapons in the hands of civilians SAVING MANY lives, I'm afraid even LESS people with complain about the NEXT proposed legislation. The way things are going now, it's going to be EASIER the second time around.

On the other hand, after watching all this, I've become "one of them"... I am selling my Beretta storm to fund this "truck Mini" project, full force, along with the purchase of (I can't believe I'm saying it) a few cases of MREs and a rotating stock of water. (yep, I said it out loud)

Next thing ya know, I'll want to move out to the country, sink some concrete pipes into the ground and have a fallout shelter...

P.S. - After I pay off the Mini and buy 2 cases of MREs and 3 mags, I am donating the remaining funds (should be around $100) to either Red Cross or Operation Blessing...

Nope, didn't say that to score cool points or get any "attaboy"... But if you feel like JOINING me, then it was worth saying
Old 09-01-2005, 21:18   #16

My wife and I are pondering either the red cross or our church, We think the Presbytery USA will have a fund on sunday.

As for good stories, I have heard of a fella in I think Mobile running off dead body looters in his neighborhood. One of those split into a field of sticks with nothing left.

I also heard on talk radio today that a woman said her brother is in the disaster area, I cant remember where, and family came to his place from New Orleans, but his neighborhood was hit hard too, with looting and such, she said that he told her that they took turns on the porch standing gaurd with a rifle.

Unfortunatley with the reports of shooting at choppers and people being shot for their boats, people might turn against gun ownership.
On the other hand gun owership is up, many people I have heard say to me that they would not be unarmed in a situation like that.

Even people that dont like guns know when they need one. My friend worked in LA during the Rodney King riots and his coworkers were a bunch of Libs, they knew he was a rugged individulist, so a few of them asked to borrow a gun when the riots hit.

By the way an AR will still work after droped in muddy water. I know from experience. Mine was laying in the back of my army jeep when I forded a muddy stream. When I emerged, every thing had silt over it. I thought for sure it would jam but decied to wait to clean it to test fire it. I emtied two mags once we got to the camp site. No jams. Then I dissassembled it and cleaned the silt out, there was more than I thought there would be.
Old 09-02-2005, 14:32   #17

The libs will find a way to paint guns as evil no matter what, so I don't see much point in worrying about whether positive stories on gun use will emerge from this situation. Besides, given the nature of the lamestream media, do you really expect any positive gun stories to emerge, regardless of the facts? Just keep the faith and keep fighting the good fight like you've always done.

As for the backwards cap, I once had an ex-SWAT guy tell me the reason was to prevent the bill from giving away your position when going around corners while clearing a house; the bill forward protrudes around the corner before you do. He also said that's why so many kids from gang neighborhoods first started wearing their caps backwards; they had seen the SWAT guys doing it. I don't know whether all of that is true, but it makes sense.
Old 09-02-2005, 20:37   #18

As long as they keep talking about how bad the looting is it will be good for gun ownership, how late the feds and state were to respond to the crisis. After the LA riots the gun ownership went up and crime went down. I don't know how N.Orleans was as far as guns in the city but there may be more ARs and minis around for the next SHTF!! It should be painfully obvious the law abiding citzens that were there on high ground did not have enough guns.

-tri
Old 09-03-2005, 09:18   #19

I just saw on Fox News another Mini-14 in the hands of a police officer guarding the refugees in NO. It was a stainless model with a small scope and no flash hider. The officer wore a vest with "Police" marked on the back. He also had several of those plastic tie handcuffs that riot police often carry. The stainless Mini seems a perfect choice for this salt water environment.
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:38   #20

Originally posted by Nobody@Sep 3 2005, 08:18 AM
I just saw on Fox News another Mini-14 in the hands of a police officer guarding the refugees in NO. It was a stainless model with a small scope and no flash hider. The officer wore a vest with "Police" marked on the back.
I just saw an additional Mini-14 on FOX News being carried by an officer in New Orleans wearing a black t-shirt with the word "Police" on it. The Mini was stainless with a composite stock & had what appeared to be a 40-round aftermarket mag sticking out of it. There was a close-up of the end of the barrel; you could even see the ring around the barrel between the front sight & the muzzle.

sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:36   #21

I predict more sympathy for gun ownership by the silent majority of onlookers. Imagining themselves in the same situation they will have empathy for the law abiding, fear the looting animalistic gangs, see that law enforcement is a joke (in this situation), and want to protect themselves. But, maybe I am misjudging the country. I hope not. The govt, on the other hand may want to curb gun ownership to try to prevent this sort of situation, it amazes me how scared they appeared to be of the NO residents.
Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:00   #22

This thread has clearly been hijacked. I'll create a new thread.
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:01   #23

Probably what the government might do is do a "no gun or ammo sales during disasters" law. I heard some local governments already have a similar law.

What that means is you need to have the ammo already in place. I know some folks don't like Wolf ammo, but it comes in sealed cans which are perfect for stashing as these cans keep ammo fresh for decades. I've bought 7.62x54mm ammo made in the 1980s in these "spam cans" that was still factory fresh. These spam cans are vacuum sealed like a can of coffee. And cheap. You could stash a few thousand rounds for very little money. The spam cans are waterproof, dustproof and darn near crushproof. They're stackable and portable. And UPS delivers them right to your door from places right now!
Old 09-04-2005, 18:06   #24

what type of stock is that

farmerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:40   #25

Farmer-

If you are referring to the stock in the first picture, it is a Choate pistol grip stock. Lots of people like them, lots (including myself) don't care for them much.

Here you go...

Choate Pistol Grip Stock
You might be able to find one in the For Sale area of Perfect Union. Seems like someone is always selling one.
"In life, we can never escape the rain...the rain must fall." -Myron Carter
adaman04 is offline   Reply With Quote