Perfect Union banner
2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  OneMini 
#1 · (Edited)
Took the Plunge - Tech Sight

Took the plunge and ordered a Tech Sight Mini200 sight and IRAS aperture system for my Mini 30. I'll post some pics n such when they arrive.

Smling Bob :D

#3 ·
gj10,

My 581 series Mini 30 still wears the factory front sight. Previous owner had the barrel threaded and installed a Shrewd screw on muzzle brake. The sight was moved back slightly and repined. I plan to thin the blade a bit one of these days or figure a way to adapt a M14 front sight base. Told the folks at Tech Sights I would glady be a beta tester if they decide to develop a front sight for the Mini.

Smiling Bob :D

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks compadre. Nope made that strut myownself. The clamps are TacStar UMB-1.
Here's links to the particulars n such:
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/459152-post11.html
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/466741-post17.html
It does tighten up the groups and acts as a heat sink to keep the barrel cooler.

I realy do like the winged front sight, other than the blade thickness, as it aids in the sight picture in combo with a peep sight. Just like the miltary learns ya.

In the pic she's wearing a wood stock. Currently have her in a OD Hogue stock that I added a front sling swivel stud to sos I could install my 1 1/4" Turner 1907 sling. I like the look of the wooden stock with the stainless but the wood in the forend is a little on the thin side. Down the road I think I'll remove the 1" factory sling swivel from the gas block and drill out the hole to accept a QD swivel.

#6 · (Edited)
Received my MINI200 sight on the 5th but could not post as the website has been down for the past couple days.

Here's my impression of the sight:

The finsh on my sight was ok. Did have some white residue near the windage lnob dial not sure what is was but it cleaned off q-tip dipped in denatured alcohol. The windage knob dial on my sight was difficult to turn. I used a penny to turn sloted side (a cartridge rim worked also). They do have a $5 sight adjustment tool available. In my opinion this sight should be readily adjustable without a tool. They should have used a windiage drum (that's adjustable with a bullet tip) like they have on thier AK100 and AK200 sight but a little smaller in diameter on the sloted side, or a knurled dial like a Garand sight on the detent side (see attached pic for a crude sketch illustrating my idea). As the sight is just now hitting the market if there is enough interest and input maybe Tech Sight could offer early purchasers an improved windage dial as an upgrade and make future versions of the sight with this improvement in place. (I have seen this happen when they first released thier AK sight and it had bugs) The elevation dial in not readily adjustable without a tool, I used the tip of a bullet to turn it. I also purchased the IRAS (Insert Ready Aperture Sytem) that consists of 3 urethane inserts in .086", .062", .042" aperture hole size and aperture stem with a .125 unthreaded hole size. The urethane inserts seem kinda cheesy and I'm doubtful of their durability if they were inserted and removed very much. Was thinking of using my XS threaded aperture stem on this sight but the thread size is different. I was impressed with the sight picture using the IRAS aperture stem sans the insert. Getting the installed aperture stem out of the sight was fairly straight forward but installing the IRAS stem was a real PITA, I finally got it in by holding my mouth right and simultaneously pushing the elevation dial in against spring pressure with one hand turning it with my other hand and holding the aperture stem with my other hand till the threads catch (in reality I had my wife hold the stem) Overall the sight is (with some bugs worked out) drastically superior to the pre 2005 OEM sight and better (more windage adjustment posible and has tic marks on sight) than the post 2005 OEM Ranch Rile sight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.