Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 19:48   #1
Points: 1,294, Level: 19 Points: 1,294, Level: 19 Points: 1,294, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

See through Scope Rings for Ranch Rifle?

http://www.opticsplanet.net/millet-see-thru-mounts.html

I am looking for EXACTLY this scope ring style that can mount up to the Mini's awkward receiver scope mounts. Those stupid scallops / clams / half moons. Anyone know of anyone whose got these?

Shoot 'em in the face!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:51   #2
Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47
Last Achievements

Not the greatest, they dont fit as well as the "stock" rings. Also the "see thru" is limited at best, you can only barely see the sights with most scopes (the "flare" obstructs view). I suppose a straight scope would help but still, I was not so happy with it. On the bright side, at close ranges the open sight rings can act like crude iron sights themselves. You wont be getting any great groups, but if you're looking through both rings you'll be able to hit a center mass at 25 yards np. Sort of like a tubular red dot with no batteries.
GDKPIKPWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:55   #3
Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47
Last Achievements

Btw, have you looked at these?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/19902-34.html
more expensive, still not great visual of rear sight, but I've heard very solid, plus it makes easier to mount whatever you want.
GDKPIKPWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:00   #4
Last Achievements

See what I'm going to ATTEMPT is a 3x9 scope on an elvated setup that I can see through and a red dot on the forward weaver mount. Gotta b a way to do it, and if there isn't ill figure it out

Shoot 'em in the face!
Old 10-08-2010, 18:10   #5
Points: 7,277, Level: 56 Points: 7,277, Level: 56 Points: 7,277, Level: 56
Last Achievements

And could probably open up the no cheek weld can of worms. Maybe a rail off to the side a little for the red-dot would give you the best of both worlds.
pbrktrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 20:03   #6
Points: 1,508, Level: 22 Points: 1,508, Level: 22 Points: 1,508, Level: 22
Last Achievements

I'd like to start this answer by being a nice guy. Weaver makes a set of see-through rings that fit the Ruger integrated ring setup. I wasn't able to find them listed on Optics Planet or on Weaver's website, but they're shown in this thread here:
Weaver See Through Rings for Mini14 Ranch

And now I'll end this answer by being a smartass. See through rings are generally understood to be for beginners, tacticool mall-ninjas, or the overly paranoid. As a beginner, you are often led by the overly paranoid into believing that optics fail constantly and that you MUST have a backup that doesn't require you to do anything; this is why you see dorky side-mounted red dots and removable iron sights.

Those of us that use scopes regularly, even to an expert or professional level, would never use see through rings - it's just not an enhancement to our program. It ruins the cheek weld, ruins your parallax, and weakens your scope mounting - even introducing flex. Plus, we have no reason to see our irons during that time. A REAL scope user, a snob perhaps, will recommend you find the sturdiest base and rings possible.

In the middle of my smartass answer and my kind answer, I'd leave you with this compromise: avoid see-through rings at all costs. No matter what, it's still a sure sign of your lack of dedication as a rifleman. Rather, find a QD mount that you like, and should your optic fail, you always have the option of simply removing the malfunctioning hardware and relying on the iron sights. This compromises nothing for your optic, compromises nothing for your iron sights, and certainly maintains your reputation as someone who, at least for the time being, looks like he knows what he's doing.
MinusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 22:53   #7
Last Achievements

Please.

Sir I've been shooting since I was 5. I use 300 and 380 ultramags to sling rounds 800 - 1000 yards shooting at ravens (we call them crows here) beer cans, and on a lucky day a rabbit I saw at the base of a tree one day (950 yrd cold shot, no wind, 380 ultramag happened to wander in my scope, nothing left of him). I am #1 a long range shooter and I mean that litterly. I've won several local gunclub "Long Arms" Bolt Action Shooting Competitions.

Please don't assume that just because I would like to have a red dot and a scope I'm an idiot. I am a farmer and when the coydogs, bobcats, and the ocasional mountain lion / bear get INSIDE my coops pens or stalls its not nice to have no close range sights.I would much rather engage these potentialy dangerous animals at range but I currently don't have a pistol permit and carrying two guns in the truck/tractor is not exactly my idea of fun. That's why I bought a ranch rifle. Plus itd just be plain cool.

Also just because I'm a redneck farmer doesn't mean IDK the internet. What your doing is passive agressive slamming / flaming. I.E. Your breaking the rules. Also your post was absolutly non constructive and just plain wrong. Anyone whose ever had an optic fail on them in a situation where your not shooting paper WILL tell you that having some kind of backup. Wether it be a pistol, another optic, or even a knife, if you don't have a backup your chances of getting screwed by MR. Murphy has gone waaaay up.

For example, my son drops my Springfield 30 odd 6 and doesn't tell me. 5 days later I find my self 100 yards away from a ****ed off black bear. I shoulder and lay three rounds into the neck/ head. All 3 miss. Luckily I had OPEN scope mounts and kept calm, switching to iron sights I got two more rounds off dropping the bear 20 paces from me. If I had been using a standard mount I'd either be ugly or dead.

To top it all off I've never seen any problems on a single open optics ring, not with my ungodly over powered 380 ultramag or anyone of my .22. Want to make a statement why something junk? tell me why you think that, idc if its a story you have, ill be more prone to believe you than saying "Ur dumb, open mounts suck!" And DEFENATLY don't question someones ability to handle a weapon because 5 bucks says I'm better.Force recon riflemen have a hard time shooting with me. Born with a rifle in my blessed hands.

Shoot 'em in the face!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:40   #8
Points: 9,366, Level: 65 Points: 9,366, Level: 65 Points: 9,366, Level: 65
Activity: 70.5% Activity: 70.5% Activity: 70.5%
Last Achievements

Like, GDKalphabet said, it's gonna be tough to do what you want to do with a scope that flares out on the objective end. My BIL had a 3-9X mounted with a similar set of mounts on his 742 and the big objective end of the scope made the iron sights just barely useable, only if you had time to line them up, no field of view to speak of. None at all vertically. A scout rail mounted red dot would have been less than useless. Hope this helps.
higgite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:00   #9
Not The Owner
Points: 29,217, Level: 99 Points: 29,217, Level: 99 Points: 29,217, Level: 99
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by MinusB View Post
I'd like to start this answer by being a nice guy. Weaver makes a set of see-through rings that fit the Ruger integrated ring setup. I wasn't able to find them listed on Optics Planet or on Weaver's website, but they're shown in this thread here:
Weaver See Through Rings for Mini14 Ranch
MinusB: He asked where to find them, not for opinions on whether they were better or worse than other options. Your first response is a great one, and can be left at that.

Peacemaker: Your reaction was over the top as well. There are better ways of dealing with people who have opinions you disagree with, ignoring them is one option.

Let's keep it friendly, folks, on all sides.

Find me here instead:
http://blog.plein.org
http://pureguntalk.com
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:50   #10
Points: 1,508, Level: 22 Points: 1,508, Level: 22 Points: 1,508, Level: 22
Last Achievements

Bill, I wasn't the first to offer an opinion. And isn't that what discussion boards are all about: finding information, getting opinions? I gave the answer he was looking for and offered my two cents as to why I wouldn't recommend them. I'm a colorful speaker but nothing was meant to inflame. I disagree with you that my opinion wasn't done in the right place or that it was done in the wrong way.

Peacemaker, if you took my reply as flaming, you read too much into it. I stand by everything in my reply - you wanted to find the rings, I tried to do some homework for you and even showed you a link so you can do some research on your own. You're welcome. As for my opinion, I never once slighted your ability to shoot, merely pointed out that I wouldn't chose that setup based on my real-world expert advise. It was my opinion, and you aren't expected to like it; you have your own opinion on this and I appreciate you sharing it with me. Obviously, my solution doesn't work for you.

I won't apologize for what you thought was flaming. I did what I will always do to give anyone a complete answer: answer the question and provide resource material, offer my supporting thoughts on it in case it mattered to you, give you a real solution, and leave it alone.

Last edited by MinusB; 10-10-2010 at 07:17. Reason: Spelling, punctuation
MinusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:49   #11
hostilenativelibertarian.
Points: 22,591, Level: 93 Points: 22,591, Level: 93 Points: 22,591, Level: 93
Activity: 42.4% Activity: 42.4% Activity: 42.4%
Last Achievements

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!
peacemaker-I've used the upper/lower -scope/iron setup for years with no known problems-except for people that don't like that configuration.My situation is a little different tho.I have the old style minis (not RR) and these had a "special mount"called a wasp sighting system(no longer manufactured) where the peep was part of the mount.Now I have a Ranch rifle but it was custom built by ASI and has no irons.I did however get the ruger rings with it and have always thought that if someone purhased the "taller" rings then a little work with a rule and a drill press-would make a useable rear peep.If not ruger rings then warne,or many other after market types.Maybe try it on a cheap pair of aluminum rings before attempting the more expensive types.And the weaver/millet see thru rings......lets just say my personal opinion of them is great on a 10-22,but not on something that is prone to being abused and then required for tough situations.I believe your best option is to "do it yourself"-heck maybe you can sell the patent to the sight companies if it works well!

...Just take the shot...
Don't bother me-I'm reloading!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 22:43   #12
Registered Member
Points: 1,187, Level: 18 Points: 1,187, Level: 18 Points: 1,187, Level: 18
Last Achievements

Peacemaker - I enjoyed your reply to MinusB. I laughed out loud. I don't know why anyone would bother to answer a question about scoping a Mini unless they'd done it themselves or some good information about how to do it. Anything else seems to be a bunch of snotty posturing. anyways... I'm the proud owner of a new Mini-14 Ranch rifle chambered for 6.8 SPC. moreover, today I bought my second Bushnell 3x9x40 scope. The open ghost ring peep sight works amazingly well. The improvements to the late model Mini's have improved the accuracy, and the high-dollar ammo I've used has helped some as well. At my age, my eyesight is getting poor, but I'm sure I can take any deer effectively within 50 to 75 yards with the iron sights. Anything farther will require a scope. I have a Mossberg 500 12 gua. with see thru sights and they work perfectly over the open sights. The see thru mount is cool because I can get a decent cheek weld for the open sight, and with a slight tilt of my head, I can pick up the scope sighting. I wouldn't trade this setup for anything and I've used it for almost 20 years. So, don't take any crap from anybody who doesn't prefer the dual sighting system. It gives me a lot of confidence when I'm in the field. When you're in the tree stand at noon, iron sights are perfectly fine, but when you're still there at dusk, you need a better sighting system. Anyways... to answer your question, there are a few side mounts for the Mini, which I'm investigating. The picatinny or weaver rails mount in the left side port door with a thumb screw. The question is: will this mount be secure enough to handle potential recoil and slamming of the bolt??? I'm hoping that see thru mounts can be bolted to the Mini's crescent moon rail system. I am determined to find the answer to this puzzle and I'll be visiting the gunsmith tomorrow who fixed up my Mossberg years ago to get his opinion. I'll keep you posted.
rosshalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 16:09   #13
Points: 3,084, Level: 34 Points: 3,084, Level: 34 Points: 3,084, Level: 34
Last Achievements

Peace;
Have you considered mounting a mini red-dot (like this: Sightmark Mini Shot Holographic Red Dot Sight 1x 4 MOA Dot Matte - MidwayUSA) atop your scope? Using something like this: http://swfa.com/Burris-Xtreme-Tactic...Tops-C652.aspx

By putting the red dot over the scope, you don't screw up the cheek weld. I like that option better than those I've seen with the holo mounted on a 45-degree rail off the side.

Last edited by tobnpr; 11-19-2010 at 16:13.
tobnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 18:29   #14
Points: 5,723, Level: 48 Points: 5,723, Level: 48 Points: 5,723, Level: 48
Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8%
Last Achievements

Had a set, tried them and yep cheek weld was an issue

Originally Posted by pbrktrt View Post
And could probably open up the no cheek weld can of worms. Maybe a rail off to the side a little for the red-dot would give you the best of both worlds.
I sold them. I think my current solution, a set of quick detach rings, is way better way to go. plus it makes cleaning a lot easier.
P15-D24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 21:03   #15
Registered Member
Points: 1,187, Level: 18 Points: 1,187, Level: 18 Points: 1,187, Level: 18
Last Achievements

Here's a solution Peacemaker

My expert gunsmith attached a pair of Weaver see thru scope mounts. They are Mini-14 Ranch mounts #49723. here's a link.
I've uploaded a couple of pictures so you can see how they look. I enjoy the open sights for close targets and for anything over 50 yards, I can use the scope.
Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
See through Scope Rings for Ranch Rifle?-nov-dec_10-037.jpg   See through Scope Rings for Ranch Rifle?-nov-dec_10-050.jpg  
rosshalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 15:50   #16
communism hater
Points: 10,450, Level: 67 Points: 10,450, Level: 67 Points: 10,450, Level: 67
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%
Last Achievements

my 30-30 is set up with see thru rings. if the critter is close enough i use irons, if not it gets the scope. I wouldnt worry about what other folks think. Do what you want to do. Trust me, there are plenty of experienced, solid, shur-nuff shooters and hunters that use see thru rings.
qwman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 19:52   #17
Points: 5,723, Level: 48 Points: 5,723, Level: 48 Points: 5,723, Level: 48
Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8%
Last Achievements

I had a set and tried it...

Cheek weld is a big problem plus the mount didn't seem as sturdy as the stock rings. I now use a set of Warn QD rings and it makes cleaning way easier!
P15-D24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 22:27   #18
Points: 8,705, Level: 62 Points: 8,705, Level: 62 Points: 8,705, Level: 62
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
Please.

Sir I've been shooting since I was 5. I use 300 and 380 ultramags to sling rounds 800 - 1000 yards shooting at ravens (we call them crows here) beer cans, and on a lucky day a rabbit I saw at the base of a tree one day (950 yrd cold shot, no wind, 380 ultramag happened to wander in my scope, nothing left of him). I am #1 a long range shooter and I mean that litterly. I've won several local gunclub "Long Arms" Bolt Action Shooting Competitions.

Please don't assume that just because I would like to have a red dot and a scope I'm an idiot. I am a farmer and when the coydogs, bobcats, and the ocasional mountain lion / bear get INSIDE my coops pens or stalls its not nice to have no close range sights.I would much rather engage these potentialy dangerous animals at range but I currently don't have a pistol permit and carrying two guns in the truck/tractor is not exactly my idea of fun. That's why I bought a ranch rifle. Plus itd just be plain cool.

Also just because I'm a redneck farmer doesn't mean IDK the internet. What your doing is passive agressive slamming / flaming. I.E. Your breaking the rules. Also your post was absolutly non constructive and just plain wrong. Anyone whose ever had an optic fail on them in a situation where your not shooting paper WILL tell you that having some kind of backup. Wether it be a pistol, another optic, or even a knife, if you don't have a backup your chances of getting screwed by MR. Murphy has gone waaaay up.

For example, my son drops my Springfield 30 odd 6 and doesn't tell me. 5 days later I find my self 100 yards away from a ****ed off black bear. I shoulder and lay three rounds into the neck/ head. All 3 miss. Luckily I had OPEN scope mounts and kept calm, switching to iron sights I got two more rounds off dropping the bear 20 paces from me. If I had been using a standard mount I'd either be ugly or dead.

To top it all off I've never seen any problems on a single open optics ring, not with my ungodly over powered 380 ultramag or anyone of my .22. Want to make a statement why something junk? tell me why you think that, idc if its a story you have, ill be more prone to believe you than saying "Ur dumb, open mounts suck!" And DEFENATLY don't question someones ability to handle a weapon because 5 bucks says I'm better.Force recon riflemen have a hard time shooting with me. Born with a rifle in my blessed hands.
Lots of questions from this post:

1) Who makes a .380 Ultra Mag? Never heard of it.
2) What is a "coydog"?
3) Why would carrying 2 guns in your truck not be fun and why do you need a permit to carry a pistol on your farm??
4) Can you really see a beer can at 1000 yds?
5) What did you do to **** off the bear? Was it actually charging you?
6) Where do you find all the "Force recon riflemen" (do you live near a Marine base), and why do they "have a hard time shooting" with you?
7) Did your mother require a C-section to deliver you and the rifle?

Ok. Let me just say it. I think you're full of crap. And BTW, I think see-through rings look pretty hideous on a rifle, especially on a Mini. There, we're back on topic.

Last edited by litefoot; 12-08-2010 at 22:30.
litefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:12   #19
hostilenativelibertarian.
Points: 22,591, Level: 93 Points: 22,591, Level: 93 Points: 22,591, Level: 93
Activity: 42.4% Activity: 42.4% Activity: 42.4%
Last Achievements

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!
WTF is this 380 ultra manglum?

...Just take the shot...
Don't bother me-I'm reloading!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:44   #20
Points: 1,336, Level: 20 Points: 1,336, Level: 20 Points: 1,336, Level: 20
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by litefoot View Post
Lots of questions from this post:

1) Who makes a .380 Ultra Mag? Never heard of it.
2) What is a "coydog"?
3) Why would carrying 2 guns in your truck not be fun and why do you need a permit to carry a pistol on your farm??
4) Can you really see a beer can at 1000 yds?
5) What did you do to **** off the bear? Was it actually charging you?
6) Where do you find all the "Force recon riflemen" (do you live near a Marine base), and why do they "have a hard time shooting" with you?
7) Did your mother require a C-section to deliver you and the rifle?

Ok. Let me just say it. I think you're full of crap. And BTW, I think see-through rings look pretty hideous on a rifle, especially on a Mini. There, we're back on topic.
I can't believe you didn't ask about the 30 odd 6...
TX expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:17   #21
Banned
Last Achievements

On my Mini, which does not shoot beer cans at 1000 yds, I have a long range scope and a Millet DMS-1 for close in work.

A rail is mounted on top of the rifle.
If I'm shooting long range, the scope goes on very quickly with QD rings, in all other cases and 95% of the time, the millet which also has QD rings on it is on the rail.

Set up right, you'll hardly every be off even an inch at 100 Yds.

If you want see thru rings, weaver makes them, but they are more trouble than they are worth . Just my 2 cents.

John K

I can't hit a beer can at 100 yds with my 380 and I'm a redneck and a really decent shot. What's wrong with me ? Dr Phil, oh Dr. Phil Help !!!!!!!

Last edited by dkac2; 12-12-2010 at 09:26.
dkac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 14:37   #22
Last Achievements

This is my first post on this forum....That being said, On the first new rifle I bought at age 14, a Remington 700 ADL, .243, I opted for a see thru scope mount for my 3x9. Even at age 14 I quickly deduced that you either use a scope or not. And with a variable scope you use either the lowest magnification or the highest and nothing in between, if you dial the scope deliberately. You always keep the scope on the lowest magnification for the closer shot. just MHO. This looks like a great forum.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 14:39   #23
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by dkac2 View Post
On my Mini, which does not shoot beer cans at 1000 yds, I have a long range scope and a Millet DMS-1 for close in work.

A rail is mounted on top of the rifle.
If I'm shooting long range, the scope goes on very quickly with QD rings, in all other cases and 95% of the time, the millet which also has QD rings on it is on the rail.

Set up right, you'll hardly every be off even an inch at 100 Yds.

If you want see thru rings, weaver makes them, but they are more trouble than they are worth . Just my 2 cents.

John K

I can't hit a beer can at 100 yds with my 380 and I'm a redneck and a really decent shot. What's wrong with me ? Dr Phil, oh Dr. Phil Help !!!!!!!

I used to daily shoot beer cans with my single six and Sauer .22 revolver. It's great to be from the South isn't it?
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:47   #24
Banned
Last Achievements

I could also hit a beer can @ 100 with the guns you have, but the sights on my Kel Tec leave much to be desired at 100 as does the accuracy.
It's just a back up, or one if the clothing you are wearing won't allow the Glock 21 that I carry.

Go get um dead eye.

John K
dkac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 17:27   #25
Points: 1,436, Level: 21 Points: 1,436, Level: 21 Points: 1,436, Level: 21
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by dkac2 View Post
I could also hit a beer can @ 100 with the guns you have, but the sights on my Kel Tec leave much to be desired at 100 as does the accuracy.
It's just a back up, or one if the clothing you are wearing won't allow the Glock 21 that I carry.

Go get um dead eye.

John K

Yeah John, it's all in the eyes now. Was a time, too many years back, that I proved I could keep all 6 on a silhouette at 100 yds with a Colt Detective Special. Was showing off to some grunts who were having a hard time keeping on at 25 with their .45s. First I did it with a K-38 Smith and the with the special. Don't think I could do it now with my custom Redhawk lessn I put a scope on top. Sigh

Dave
briflemn is offline   Reply With Quote