Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 00:08   #1
Points: 2,161, Level: 28 Points: 2,161, Level: 28 Points: 2,161, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Cheapest online mini14 price?

Thinking about getting into a mini but local gun shop prices are CRAZY! So wondering if you all had come upon any good deals out there online?
I'm in CA. so a big no on CDNN
jeffrice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:11   #2
Points: 3,644, Level: 37 Points: 3,644, Level: 37 Points: 3,644, Level: 37
Last Achievements

Just my thoughts - Most important, I like to keep things in perspective. I could have saved, maybe, $50-75 on an on line purchase, after the transfer fee. To me, that's nothing in the life of a rifle. Consider, I plan to put thousands of $s of ammo through it. Ammo, I do buy on line.

I personally try to support the local gun shops. Here on Long Island there are few and they have a tough time. Ranges are closing and there are fewer and fewer places to shoot, especially centerfire rifles.

In my case, I spent about $739 (+tax) on my new All-Weather Ranch. Not the best price, but fair. What's also important to me is how I'm treated by the establishment. I had a slight problem with my Mini, I brought it back and they made it right. A very pleasant experience all around. The kind of place that makes me want to give them more of my business.

South Shore Sportsman, Merrick, NY
BLAMMO!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:44   #3
Points: 2,289, Level: 28 Points: 2,289, Level: 28 Points: 2,289, Level: 28
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements

Take a look at Davidson's(Gallery of Guns). I have bought three guns from them. My local gun shop does the paperwork and gets wholesale price, and I pay a fair price. I also wait for guns that go on sale adding to my savings. Davidson's also has a guarantee for life deal, that I have never had to use.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Default.aspx
Wheelrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:14   #4
Points: 42,140, Level: 100 Points: 42,140, Level: 100 Points: 42,140, Level: 100
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%
Last Achievements

You might try this place also.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php
Old 04-03-2010, 07:40   #5
Points: 2,870, Level: 32 Points: 2,870, Level: 32 Points: 2,870, Level: 32
Activity: 21.3% Activity: 21.3% Activity: 21.3%
Last Achievements

I ussualy find the best price I can online. Then call around locally and see who is the cheapest. When calling I always ask if they give a cash discount. The last several guns I have bought I paid maybee $10-20 more to buy local and not have to wait for my gun to be shipped. You'd be suprised at some of the deals you can get when buying with cash today. Gun dealers are like the rest of us, having a hard time in the current economy. Most are very happy to have a customer give them cold hard cash right now.

The sticker price at most gun stores is just the starting point. If you pay by cresdit card they loose 2-3% right off the top to visa or mastercard. If youput it on layaway they loose interest on the money they could hav ehad to begin with, or they may loose interest on the money they borrowed to buy inventory. A good deale rknows what cash saves them and is willing to discount cash purchases accordingly. At a minimum if paying with cash you can almost always get the dealer to knock off the tax. Unless thier prices are insane that should get you prety close to an online gun price by the time you pay shipping and transfer.
excatm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:02   #6
Banned
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by excatm76 View Post
I ussualy find the best price I can online. Then call around locally and see who is the cheapest. When calling I always ask if they give a cash discount. The last several guns I have bought I paid maybee $10-20 more to buy local and not have to wait for my gun to be shipped. You'd be suprised at some of the deals you can get when buying with cash today. Gun dealers are like the rest of us, having a hard time in the current economy. Most are very happy to have a customer give them cold hard cash right now.

The sticker price at most gun stores is just the starting point. If you pay by cresdit card they loose 2-3% right off the top to visa or mastercard. If youput it on layaway they loose interest on the money they could hav ehad to begin with, or they may loose interest on the money they borrowed to buy inventory. A good deale rknows what cash saves them and is willing to discount cash purchases accordingly. At a minimum if paying with cash you can almost always get the dealer to knock off the tax. Unless thier prices are insane that should get you prety close to an online gun price by the time you pay shipping and transfer.

Great post. We do need to support the local gun shops and paying cash as suggested will most of the time get you a discount and help the shop owner move his stock. Some wholesalers offer discounts when a dealer buys 5 or more firearms at one time. If your shop moves a fair amount of firearms, they are more likely to give a cash discount. You might also want to find a friend who is going to buy a firearm and both of you go in, more guns sold, better discounts.

Best regards, John K
dkac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 18:48   #7
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Last Achievements

Walmart has them pretty regularly now around here for $617.
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 20:59   #8
Last Achievements

Thanks for all the info!

I'm all about supporting local shops, just not going to hose myself in the process..........
Old 04-04-2010, 20:22   #9
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Spikester View Post
Walmart has them pretty regularly now around here for $617.
Ya, Wallmart & guns is a no go here in Ca.