Perfect Union banner

Steel cased ammo vs. brass cased

12K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  Grant 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever seen any research that proves or disproves the idea that steel cased ammo is harmful in that the steel causes excessive wear in the chamber area. Since brass is softer than steel this would seem to hold some truth but has it ever been scientifically tested?

#2 ·
Considering that most of the larger militaries have used steel cased ammo, including the US...................
The steel used is a dead soft alloy, much softer than barrel metal (and not any harder than full hard brass)
Personaly, I wouldn't be concerned about using Steel Case in any quality firearm (which is why the Jennings/Bryco and AR guys hate steel cases)

#4 ·
This Mini-14 and AR owner loves steel cased ammo in my AR. Not so much in my Mini. I shoot Wolf poly coated in my AR a lot, no problem. I tried it in my Mini for the first time last week. It locked up solid on the 22nd round. Had to drive the case out of the chamber with a rod. Nothing but brass for my Mini from now on.

#3 ·
Brass expands when you fire off the round. It swells and forms a gasket in your chamber.

Steel rounds do not expand like brass. Hench when you check the chamber after you fire off several steel cased rounds, you will find the back blast from the shell will put a carbon buildup in 50-60% of the chamber.

The backblast (Heat) of the steel shells going off can erode the chamber over time.

#5 ·
I would only use steel case ammo when the funds are tight or as a SHTF situtation. Steel case ammo will void the warranty with a lot of manufactures. A chrome lined chamber helps with the steel case ammo. The US doesn't use it because they concluded that it damaged the chamber after a period of time. I shoot it from time to time and haven't experienced any problems.
My son has a AR15 that doesn't like it at all. The manufacturers can tell if you have been shooting steel case ammo.

#6 ·
I don't have my manuel with me but it seems like I read in there not to use steel ammo, or use brass cased ammo only. Something to that effect. Given the cost of the rifle, it's not worth it to me to take the chance just to save a few bucks. Brass only for me. (unless of course it's an emergency).

#9 ·
Yeah, I figure that there just isn't as much blow back with Wolf in my AR as in my Mini. It was the first steel ammo I have tried in my Mini and was surprised, and disappointed, that it won't handle it like my AR. But, to console myself, I put 60 rounds of Black Hills remanufactured through the Mini today without a hiccup. :D I almost cried when I saw the $19.95 price tag on the box of 50, though. It was some old stash. I think it's running about $35 a box now.

#10 ·
dixokai said
I don't have my manuel with me but it seems like I read in there not to use steel ammo, or use brass cased ammo only. /QUOTE] I have reviewed the Mini-14 Instruction Manual and found no reference to steel case ammo. The manual states that only "Use only clean ammunition of the proper caliber manufactured to U.S. Industry specifications, in good condition." I personally have used steel cased ammo with no malfunctions. It can be a bit dirtier than some other ammo. I clean the chamber and bore after every shooting session. In fact some of the steel cased ammo i.e. Silver Bear, shoots as well or better than some of the less expensive bulk ammo. For me it works quite well.

#12 ·
I have only about 100 rds of steel case 5.56 left.Its shoots ok for blasting ammo,but not too impressive for accuracy.I used to use a lot of it at MG shoots along with copper washed steel 7.62 ammo in the belt feed M60.When it would start sticking in the chamber I would just spray the mags and belts down with WD40 and run it though with no problem.Almost all of my 5.56 is brass case,plus most of these brass cases are reloadable.I think I saved about 7000 5.56 emptys of LC and TZZ.Most of my 5.56 is handloaded with 55 fmj,55 sp or 60 sierra Hp.

#18 ·
Disposable Mini? (Tongue-Firmly-In-Cheek)

Price being equal, few would argue that brass is best. However, for me, there is a price differential at which I'll opt to go with the cheap option (so long as it appears to work), even if it is a shorter-term solution.

Up here in the great Republik of Canuckistan, my Mini-30 represents one of the holy grails of firearms: a relatively affordable, reliable, semi-auto rifle in a huntable calibre, for which there is a cheap ammo option and plenty of parts available. With the installation of a Wolff hammer spring, my stainless Mini appears to happily eat the ubiquitous (at least in my neck of the woods) 127 grain Sellier & Bellot steel-cased Czech milsurp all day long.

Will the steel casings cause more wear in the chamber than brass? Probably a little. However, once I've made my way through the first 1120 round crate of the steel-cased stuff, I'll have saved enough money to buy another brand new Mini.

If I make it through a second crate of the Czech milsurp, perhaps someone here will help me make the case to she-who-must-be-obeyed that I've now justified the purchase of TWO more Minis? ;)

#19 ·

7.62x51 STEEL CASE, Made by the Lake City arsonal in 1956 (not my cartridges)
45ACP steel case was made by the BILLIONS at the Evensville Chysler plant for the US army, they also made 30 Carbine in steel.
A very high percentage of the WW-2 German Mauser ammo was steel cased
Most (all) the MP-44 7.92x33 was steel cased

IOW the military dosn't care if it can be reloaded as long as it works (but they're not going to run something that puts excessive wear on the weapons either), and if you want to be honest about it neither do most shooters.

#20 ·
Hi,

I've been away for a while...I sold my Mini-14 ATI a while back and I now own a new 581 Mini-30. I always wanted the Mini-30 to go with my other 30 Caliber rifles but could never find one until last week...after over a year of waiting and watching all the local shops! A rare bird indeed! Now as for the ammo...I am a bit confused/concerned regarding things I read pertaining to the difference in the C.I.P. and SAAMI standards. All the numbers mean nothing to me but, one thing I have noticed is, Remington UMC ammo drops into the chamber tight...I have to dig it out with my fingernail. The Golden Tiger steel case Russian ammo drops into the chamber and will literally rattle around a few thousandths...it will fall out easily when I roll the barrel up. Is this typical of the steel cased stuff? I am concerned now because I just ordered 400 rds of MFS ammo from Cabela's. It is brass, boxer primed and reloadable. A good deal at $7.99/20 rds and free shipping over $150. The MFS ammo is manufactured to C.I.P. standards. My question, will anything, steel or brass, made to CIP standards rattle around in SAAMI 7.62x39 chambers? Another thing, the base just above the extractor groove is actually SMALLER on the Remington SAAMI case so, I assume the rattle is caused elsewhere?? They both seem to seat to the same depth. I actually removed the extractor/firing pin and when I tried to manually rotate the bolt closed on a round, the bolt encountered resistance at exactly the same point...the bolt on each would go ALMOST fully closed with thumb pressure on the boss for the op rod. And finally...the primer on the Russian stuff is seated consistantly .003" deeper than the Remington UMC...cause of misfires? ALL of these observations are without having fired a single shot through this thing! :huh: I am waiting for a rail and red dot to arrive.

Sorry for the long rambling post...I guess I'm bored. :)

Ed

Do the shoulders appear different?

Birds of a feather part two...

#23 ·
Just got back from my shooting my new 581 tactical for the first time. and man does she shoot. One thing to say on this topic: I fired 3 different kinds of ammo, White box 55g BT FMJ, Federal LC 55g FMJ, and some steel case Wolf. ALL the brass fired beautifully, and I was actually suprised at how accurate the stock mini was at 50 yards or so. I hit a couple cans at least three times in a row, with iron sights, this is with a fairly warm barrel. I shot the Wolf last and 3 shot into my 20 rnd factory mag, it jammed on an empty casing, (FTE, is that what its called?) it then proceeded to do this 3 or four more times before the mag was empty. Glad I only bout one box of wolf, and stocked up on the LC! Hope this helps....

Crowcifier

#29 ·
Are there any thoughts on this steel vs. brass cased ammo discussion relating to barrels chambered with the 5.56 specification reamer versus the
.223 Rem reamer? Does one or the other allow for better gas sealing? In other words, individual chamber dimensional differences could be the determining factor in one mini 14 easily digesting the steel cased ammo while another chokes on it. Jus' sayin'

#30 ·
Ain't really tried wolf...

I got 500 rounds, it wouldn't eject from my Mini until 3-4 shots were fired. Even then, it only grouped about 6" (When it was shooting good :lol:)

Since then, I tried it in my AR and it got 2 3/4" groups. I'll finish off the 400 rounds left and probably not buy any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.