Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 13:27   #1
Points: 2,626, Level: 31 Points: 2,626, Level: 31 Points: 2,626, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Ruger mini-14 Target, 5828 vs 5808

So Ruger has a "new" adjustable harmonic dampened(and all around improved) mini-14, the Ruger mini-14 Target. I have seen youtube videos as well as reviews testifying to its sub moa accuracy out of box. I don't doubt it one bit after reading about what is capable with extensive accurizing of the base model. My question concerned the difference between the the two Target models. In all the videos and reviews the 5808 has been used. I personally like the looks of the 5828. I was wondering if anyone knew of a performance difference between the two models.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Mini14Target.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z89nJ5zA4bI

as a follow up...the heres the story behind my question:
I'm looking to buy an intermediate round hunting rifle(with tactitical abilities), I have considered and eliminated the AR, for its lack of ruggedness and cost, the AK for its lack of accuracy, the SKS for its size and lack of accuracy.
the mini-14 seems perfect if i could get away with sub-moa accuracy without putting much if any money into it. so the second question is: Does the Target model sacrifice ruggedness for accuracy and if so how much; would it be as temperamental to sand as say an AR15?
Proving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 18:40   #2
Banned
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Proving View Post
as a follow up...the heres the story behind my question:
I'm looking to buy an intermediate round hunting rifle(with tactitical abilities),
Have you ever held a Target model Mini? They're heavy as hell and kind of unbalanced. I wouldn't ever want to have to carry one in the field. Its a bench rest shooter. I'd take my M1A scout over it as far as handling and weight. I wanted a target mini cause i thought, hey finally an accurate mini. Then I held one and decided to go with the NRA mini. By the way my modded NRA shot a sub moa 5 shot group at 100 yds, so they can be tuned to shoot well.
Mini_Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 19:03   #3
Points: 3,077, Level: 34 Points: 3,077, Level: 34 Points: 3,077, Level: 34
Last Achievements

I have a target model and they are heavier. It is the same gun besides the barrel, so they are just as rugged. I have yet to shoot mine long range yet got it in the middle of the winter. I have looked at the new flash hider model and have though about trading mine for one of those and doing some mods to it? I like my mini but it is a bit large to carry around.
buckeyetarget14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 22:02   #4
Points: 2,626, Level: 31 Points: 2,626, Level: 31 Points: 2,626, Level: 31
Last Achievements

I have not held the target model only the NRA and a 580. Which Target model have you used?

5814 - 6 7/8 lbs
5802 - 6 3/4 lbs
5805 - 6 1/2 lbs
5808 - 7 lbs
5828 - 8 lbs 6 oz
5847 - 8 lbs

it seems the Hogue OverMolded stock weighs the most as the 5847 and the 5828 both have it.

may i ask which mods you have done to the your NRA mini and the respective accuracy increase. Would you recommend purchasing the cheapest 580 series I can get and work from there replacing the barrel, bedding the stock, and brushing?
Proving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 17:01   #5
Banned
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Proving View Post
I have not held the target model only the NRA and a 580. Which Target model have you used?

5814 - 6 7/8 lbs
5802 - 6 3/4 lbs
5805 - 6 1/2 lbs
5808 - 7 lbs
5828 - 8 lbs 6 oz
5847 - 8 lbs

it seems the Hogue OverMolded stock weighs the most as the 5847 and the 5828 both have it.

may i ask which mods you have done to the your NRA mini and the respective accuracy increase. Would you recommend purchasing the cheapest 580 series I can get and work from there replacing the barrel, bedding the stock, and brushing?
The rifle I held in a store was Hogue Target mini in Stainless. I wanted a dead accurate Mini14 just as anyone and thought the target was the way to go. After holding it I passed. If I was you i'd suggest handling one before you make the decision, especially if you want a "tactical" rifle. The Mod's on my NRA rifle is, Choate M14 flash hider bored out to fit my rifle, choate hand guard, home made strut, fire lapped barrel, trigger job, scope, home made buffers, and a wood stock. As we speak I'm bedding my M1A scout squad and am going to pass on the Mini. The Mini fits so tight in the wood stock that I have to tap it out with a punch which is the kind of fit you look for when bedding a rifle. If I was going to build a rifle I wouldn't buy a 580 series then strip it of the barrel, and all that stuff. If you buy a thick barreled 580 series, you're paying for the barrel. If you're going to rebarrel a Mini, might as well buy an older model Ranch rifle since you're going to strip the old barrel anyways.
Mini_Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 16:39   #6
Points: 2,625, Level: 31 Points: 2,625, Level: 31 Points: 2,625, Level: 31
Last Achievements

hi guys new to the site. anyway i have a 580 m14 target , and i intended to use it for coyote hunting . yes its great out to 300 yards . but in close its just to heavy to move around . can never aquire a dog up close without fighting with this beast.looking to getting it cut and turned down. i hope. i agree with the other lad get a nra and stuff it in a new sparta stock. and youll have a great killing machine.
calaber40 is offline   Reply With Quote