Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 12:08   #1
Points: 2,861, Level: 32 Points: 2,861, Level: 32 Points: 2,861, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Options for reflex sights with irons on a new Mini-14

I'm considering buying one of Ruger's new "tactical" Mini-14s. I'd like to mount a reflex/holographic/red-dot sight on it while still retaining the ability to use the iron sights.

If this were an earlier model Mini-14, the obvious choice would be an Ultimak rail and an Aimpoint, as I read that an Aimpoint on an Ultimak will cowitness with the irons. However, the 580-series Minis use a different barrel contour for which Ultimak does not yet make a mount.

There are other forward rail mounts that are supposed to work with the new Mini barrels, but do any of those leave the iron sights visible or (better yet) permit cowitnessing optics and irons?

There's also the option of see-through scope rings and a tubular red dot, but from what I've seen, the see-through rings put the scope very high up, and may necessitate the use of a cheek pad; can anyone comment on this?

Finally, buying an AR or an older Mini-14 aren't options, since they don't fit my purposes or tastes for various reasons. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Candiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 14:28   #2
Points: 7,491, Level: 57 Points: 7,491, Level: 57 Points: 7,491, Level: 57
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%
Last Achievements

Amega Ranges has a scout rail that allows use of open sights when optics are removed, but don't think cowitness is possible. They have a model for new Mini's:

http://www.amegaranges.com/mini14_new.php
Old 02-04-2009, 09:28   #3
Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32
Last Achievements

You can not co-witness with anyhting on the Amega Ranges rail. The bare rail does allow use of the iron sights, but anything mounted would not.

It's a great rail and I have a Doctor 3MOA sight on my Gun Doc modified 6.8 Mini. I am going to change to a scope after a few hundred more rounds through the mini to take full advantage of the 6.8 range cpabilities to 200+ yards with proper ammo.

Good luck.
chopperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:57   #4
Points: 9,411, Level: 65 Points: 9,411, Level: 65 Points: 9,411, Level: 65
Last Achievements

The best thing to if you want the ability to use both irons and electronic sight is to use a quick detachable rig on your optics. Its not exactly what you're looking for, but it gives you a quick ability to use either or very quickly if a situation calls for it.

Sorry that there's not a better option. But I would like to have a co-witness ability too for my new Tactical Mini. I even wrote to Aimpoint and asked them what I could do, but their response was not very helpful.
Texas Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 15:37   #5
Points: 5,149, Level: 45 Points: 5,149, Level: 45 Points: 5,149, Level: 45
Last Achievements

There's also the option of see-through scope rings and a tubular red dot, but from what I've seen, the see-through rings put the scope very high up, and may necessitate the use of a cheek pad; can anyone comment on this?
Not exactly the same, but similar. I've got a C-more style clone and tried putting it on a rail with mounts for the Ruger ring slots. It obviously blocked the iron sights, but it was also so high that a simple cheek pad wouldn't have done the trick. I returned the rail.

My sense is that the rail was lower than see-through rings, but the holo sight itself might be higher than a tube style so that the net result with the tube would be about equally bad.
Bill_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 17:42   #6
Points: 2,870, Level: 32 Points: 2,870, Level: 32 Points: 2,870, Level: 32
Last Achievements

I've also been kicking this around without any real luck. I've been thinking about using the picatinny rail that attachés to the integral scope ring bases and the Amega Ranges product. Then I've been tinkering with the idea of using the picatinny mount front/rear folding iron sites that you can get for the M4 flat rail AR's. They should all be on a close enough level to use with a reflex sight and co-witness. I'm still looking but I may go that direction.
dickc is offline   Reply With Quote