Perfect Union banner

581 target masen clip

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Father of Reds 
#1 ·
I bought 2 new John Masen 10 round clips for my 581 target. They will not feed. Called Masen and was told they will not work in 581 minis. I did some checking and found that the bottom of the clip lock retainer is .081" to high. This allows the clip to tilt forward enough to let bolt ride across the rounds in clip without picking up the shell. If you pull back on bottom of clip or push it up while firing it will work. I am going to have my son build up the bottom of the clip lock at his machine shop and fit to my gun. Will report how it comes out to you.
The Masen is on Left and Ruger on Right.
Automotive tire Cylinder Composite material Gas Rim

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a fix since you've already paid for them. Go to a muffler shop and have them run a very thin bead on the bottom of the rear catch, and then take them home, and file it to where it works.

That WILL fix it.

A bit of work but you don't have to throw them away.

#3 ·
I bought 2 new John Masen 10 round clips for my 581 target. They will not feed. Called Masen and was told they will not work in 581 minis. I did some checking and found that the bottom of the clip lock retainer is .081" to high. This allows the clip to tilt forward enough to let bolt ride across the rounds in clip without picking up the shell. If you pull back on bottom of clip or push it up while firing it will work. I am going to have my son build up the bottom of the clip lock at his machine shop and fit to my gun. Will report how it comes out to you.
The Masen is on Left and Ruger on Right.
View attachment 14717
Ruger (and anyone who is familar with firearms) does not call a magazine a clip. They are different.....

#4 ·
Most of us civilians over 50 yrs old in our neck of the woods grew up calling them clips, a magazine was something you read (guns and ammo), and pistols were all handguns. Handguns consisted of autos (1911) and revolvers (ruger blackhawk). That was what our Dads called them. Sorry getting to old to change my ways.

#8 ·
I've got a 580 and my Masen mags are a PITA as well. I have a ProMag 10 rounder that has functioned flawlessly since I bought it, but I can't seem to find any more. My Masens actually fits too tight, though. They barely fit into the well, and don't drop out like the Ruger or ProMag versions. If only Ruger made 10 rounders again...

#9 · (Edited)
This is from Merriam-Webster online Dictionary:
2 clip
Function:
noun
Date:
15th century
1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles ; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm 3: a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip

Found this looking around last night.

#11 ·
Note: Look where that dictionary is from- Think a place where guns are frowned upon. As they don't like them they are "ickie". Clip is just like the picture above. Magazine is the correct term. Clip is a Hollywood term that is wrong, just like taping two magazines together (see thread on this subject). The M-1 uses a clip. The SKS uses a clip. A Mini-14 uses a magazine ALTHOUGH you can use a clip to load the magazine. Other than Hollywood I wonder how incorrect terms become the norm. Culture in some way? Father of Reds (heads)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.