Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 09:25   #1
Points: 8,959, Level: 63 Points: 8,959, Level: 63 Points: 8,959, Level: 63
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Civilian Battle Rifles

There seems to be a lot of civilians buying weapons and adding 10 pounds of stuff to the so they look like what the see on tv and in magazines. It also seems to me that these same people think that they know everything about MOUT because they own a cqb type weapon and spend alot of time online, even though they cant see there feet and have never actually practiced clearing there own house.

Of course I cant claim to know the uses others will put their weapons to so I will talk about mine which I believe are pretty well rounded (at least for the country folk on this board).

I live on 16 acres in an old farmhouse and have several outbuildings within sight and my landlords house set out of sight. There are ducks and horses that I have been tasked to keep safe at night along with my girlfriends pet rabbit who lives in a coupe 50 yards outside my back door. The longest shot from my house is 200 yards but most around 50. The land is mostly swamp outside of the yards where 25 yards would be the average shot. The coyotes grow big around here, we have lots of foxes, fishercats and skunks. The 556 will take them all with some left over.

Most of the weapons I own could handle most chores around the house but I was looking for the ideal one. A SAW wasnt available and after a few years humping one of them around everything else pails in comparasent. I looked at ARs, AKs, SKSs, Saiga, M1As, etc, and finally minis. I chose a stainless mini (see pic on the pic page) because it was stainless(I like stainless weapons), it had good, rugged, sights, it is famously reliable, and I had read that the new ones shot well.

A good battle rifle needs very few things and the mini had them. I have since put a leupold 4x in warne qd rings and a muzzle brake+bayonet mount (its a grunt thing, you wouldnt understand.) I get good practical accuracy with a sling in field positions( as good as ANY gov M16A2 OR A4 I qualled expert with).

It is longer with the brake but as a civilian(ugh I HATE saying that) I no longer have to clear buildings. If there is an intruder in my house I will use my .45 or 12 gauge sawed off sxs(shoot one round of 556 inside and you will never willingly do so again). My tinitis is so bad(at 24) I cant aford anymore perferated eardrums. So an overall length of 42 inches is not a handicap. Beside the 556 needs every inch it can get. 16" barrels are a **** pore choice, shorter barrels are even worse (like .22wmr worse).

Besides I would never want to clear a building alone or withought grenades.

In terms of civil unrest I think that the mini is a good choice. I live 50 yards off a backroad, which is the closest I would let anyone get. A cqb type weapon is harder to shoot off hand past 15 yards due to the lighter muzzle so again the length actually helps accurate rapid shot. Also, if for some reason I must "take to the hills" the mini is still lighter than most ARs and all M1As.

556 ammo is "cheap" compared to 762 and everywhere. Factory mags are getting more available and cheap one are easy to fix.

So that is why I chose the Mini and why I'll keep the barrel lenght alone. Of course everything else is fair game.
usmcronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:07   #2
Isolationist Libertarian
Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
Last Achievements

http://perfectunion.com/vb/attachmen...3&d=1195418211

Well, ok, but I'm keeping the little flashlight, it's dark out here in the sticks.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09   #3
Points: 11,446, Level: 70 Points: 11,446, Level: 70 Points: 11,446, Level: 70
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by usmcronin View Post
It is longer with the brake but as a civilian(ugh I HATE saying that) I no longer have to clear buildings. If there is an intruder in my house I will use my .45 or 12 gauge sawed off sxs(shoot one round of 556 inside and you will never willingly do so again). My tinitis is so bad(at 24) I cant aford anymore perferated eardrums.

first, I thank you for your service
but
have you ever shot a .45 or a 12ga inside? I think you'll find your tinitis doesnt care what it is, after you've discharged either in close quarters.
if you're truly worried about the effects on your hearing of a .45/12ga versus a 223/556 discharge in your home, I would strongly suggest looking into a suppressor (if allowed in your state)
BuffDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:34   #4
Last Achievements

I do like flashlights too, they do have there place, and you might find one mounted on my weapon for the late night rounds.

the 556 creates a different type of signature than a .45 that does a lot more damage. Ive never seen anyone bleed from their ears because of a .45. I have seen many because of the 556, mine included. 45s are LOUD and will do permanant damage but not to the extent as short rifles indoors.

Supressors are defenetly a way around the short barrel noise issue, unfortunatly they dont do much for the terminal ballistics. They also Cost more than I can afford and probably not legal in this stupid communist state.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:21   #5
Points: 4,121, Level: 40 Points: 4,121, Level: 40 Points: 4,121, Level: 40
Last Achievements

The muzzle blast from a full blown rifle fired in a house is out of the question for me. Thats why if I'm going to use a rifle it would be my Marlin camp carbine in 9mm, or a Hi-Point 9mm or maybe the Marlin 94 in 357 with a reduced load.

None of those are ear busters when compared to a full power rifle round.

I sure wish it would occur to someone like Ruger and Hornady to make a 357 rimmless round (or 357 maximun) and build a mini-14 around it. The load data is already there. It should be a pretty easy job. That would be a hell of a good ranch rifle set up.
ratshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:36   #6
Points: 3,510, Level: 37 Points: 3,510, Level: 37 Points: 3,510, Level: 37
Last Achievements

Iíve never cleared a building using live fire, but Iíve shot quite a few weapons outdoors without hearing protection. Out of all the guns Iíve fired, including my Mini 14 and my AR, even my 30.06 bolt gun, the loudest and most painful by far is my little SP101 .357 snubbie with full house rounds.

A 12 GA goes BOOM, and gets your attention but doesnít really hurt, a .357 revolver goes CRACK!!! like a #!&^%#! ÖI only fired that one once without my ears on.
azfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:14   #7
Points: 11,446, Level: 70 Points: 11,446, Level: 70 Points: 11,446, Level: 70
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by usmcronin View Post

Supressors are defenetly a way around the short barrel noise issue, unfortunatly they dont do much for the terminal ballistics. They also Cost more than I can afford and probably not legal in this stupid communist state.

not sure I understand the first part? suppressors dont change ballistics.

you might be surprised how much a suppressor can be picked up for. I recently saw a demo YHM phantom go for $350. plus $200 to BATFE and you're in on a suppressor for less than that of another mini14. just a thought.
BuffDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38   #8
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by BuffDragon View Post
not sure I understand the first part? suppressors dont change ballistics.

you might be surprised how much a suppressor can be picked up for. I recently saw a demo YHM phantom go for $350. plus $200 to BATFE and you're in on a suppressor for less than that of another mini14. just a thought.

well that 550 is more than I can swing

I was just saying that noise is not the only problem with short barrels.

cheap cans will shift poi a great deal, at least the ones ive shot.

ratshooter, i had a high point carbine once, great little gun, looked stupid but fun to shoot.
Old 11-19-2008, 13:40   #9
Points: 13,166, Level: 74 Points: 13,166, Level: 74 Points: 13,166, Level: 74
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Last Achievements

UMC, welcome home and thanks for your service.

First off, it will take time to get used to being a civilian - give it time - you will probably never have to clear a building again the way you did while in uniform. But if you feel the need to be prepped to do so but don't want to destroy your ears or the building, may I suggest a 410 gague pistol - they are great little weapons for close in.

NRA
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Army (Ret.)
COBRADOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 13:43   #10
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
http://perfectunion.com/vb/attachmen...3&d=1195418211

Well, ok, but I'm keeping the little flashlight, it's dark out here in the sticks.
Did it ever dawn on you that that flashlight, when lit at night, makes an excellent target marker? And even with you behind it, it diminishes your night vision.

NRA
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Army (Ret.)
Old 11-19-2008, 15:40   #11
Points: 9,003, Level: 63 Points: 9,003, Level: 63 Points: 9,003, Level: 63
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by ratshooter View Post
The muzzle blast from a full blown rifle fired in a house is out of the question for me. Thats why if I'm going to use a rifle it would be my Marlin camp carbine in 9mm, or a Hi-Point 9mm or maybe the Marlin 94 in 357 with a reduced load.

None of those are ear busters when compared to a full power rifle round.

I sure wish it would occur to someone like Ruger and Hornady to make a 357 rimmless round (or 357 maximun) and build a mini-14 around it. The load data is already there. It should be a pretty easy job. That would be a hell of a good ranch rifle set up.
Just saw a Ruger 40 yesterday at the local gunshop. Had never heard of it before. It looked like a synthetic mini but in 40 S&W.

Not sure how reliable they were but would be a real powerhouse, in the house and most likely to 50 yds +.

Sorry, forgot to add, usmcronin, thanks (a truely BIG thanks) for your service, and sorry for the hearing issues because of it. In spite of what the libs and media want to say I believe you being there kept them away from here.

Last edited by handirifle; 11-19-2008 at 15:44. Reason: add text
handirifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 17:49   #12
resident operator
Points: 4,804, Level: 44 Points: 4,804, Level: 44 Points: 4,804, Level: 44
Last Achievements

9mm carbine is the only indoor acceptable "house" rifle for me. I too have tinnitus and other hearing issues.

I got a little too close to some C4 going off in some infantry training. It took years for the hearing problems to build but I know that was the beginning so now I try not to put them over the edge if you know what I mean. I hope to god I never have to use deadly force or have it used on me.

Edit: I use a Ruger PC9, you would be surprised how well they shoot.

Last edited by Butie; 11-19-2008 at 17:51.
Butie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 18:07   #13
Last Achievements

USMC & Butie, the voice of experience here - you both need to get yourself to the nearest VA and get your hearing problems documented and the sooner the better. Your hearing isn't going to get any better, and the longer you wait the harder it will be to convince the VA that your hearing loss is service related.

NRA
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Army (Ret.)
Old 11-19-2008, 18:19   #14
resident operator
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by COBRADOC View Post
USMC & Butie, the voice of experience here - you both need to get yourself to the nearest VA and get your hearing problems documented and the sooner the better. Your hearing isn't going to get any better, and the longer you wait the harder it will be to convince the VA that your hearing loss is service related.
It has already been too long. I was out by 92. 37 now, I have worked in some pretty noisy places. The tinnitus came right around '01. I could feel something coming on, I was never good about seeing a doctor until I got married, now they just tell me to have some noise if the ringing gets too annoying. Wear those earplugs people.
Old 11-19-2008, 18:27   #15
Points: 3,170, Level: 34 Points: 3,170, Level: 34 Points: 3,170, Level: 34
Last Achievements

The lack of the extreme military look is one reason I've come back to the Mini's.

In the hopefully unlikely event that push comes to shove, I'd prefer not to have to explain on the stand why my defensive rifle looked like a mini bazooka and had the words "Bad to the Bone" stenciled on the stock. Especially if an alternative exists in a similar configuration that looks a little less threatening.

But that's just my opinion at this point (old) in my life. I've done it the other way too and understand it's appeal.
dondee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 18:46   #16
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Butie View Post
It has already been too long. I was out by 92. 37 now, I have worked in some pretty noisy places. The tinnitus came right around '01. I could feel something coming on, I was never good about seeing a doctor until I got married, now they just tell me to have some noise if the ringing gets too annoying. Wear those earplugs people.
Go anyway. Make the VA say no. It's kinda like getting laid - sometimes they say no, sometimes you get lucky, but for it to happen you gotta ask.

NRA
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Army (Ret.)
Old 11-20-2008, 08:30   #17
Isolationist Libertarian
Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by COBRADOC View Post
Did it ever dawn on you that that flashlight, when lit at night, makes an excellent target marker? And even with you behind it, it diminishes your night vision.
Oh yeah, it's better than a bullseye, that's why it's set up to be bumped on. since I'm not in combat I have to be able to I.D. exactly what I'm shooting at and what's behind it. If I ever have to use it in a fight my best chance would be try to make sure it is aimed at their face before I bump the tailcap.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:12   #18
resident operator
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
Oh yeah, it's better than a bullseye, that's why it's set up to be bumped on. since I'm not in combat I have to be able to I.D. exactly what I'm shooting at and what's behind it. If I ever have to use it in a fight my best chance would be try to make sure it is aimed at their face before I bump the tailcap.
Good for shooting coons and such.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:42   #19
Points: 4,390, Level: 42 Points: 4,390, Level: 42 Points: 4,390, Level: 42
Last Achievements

Cobradoc knows what he is saying. I went to the VA. They have a D.A.V. group there. Disabled American Vets. They interview you, check your military medical records and give you compensation for your hearing problems or any other service related issues. You earned it, it is not advertised and they are
good people. Do it. They take care of our vets.
STEINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 19:09   #20
fclight

The mini-14 is undoubtedly the loudest thing I ever heard without earplugs!! POP!!! RINGGGGGGG!!!!! Deaf for about 20 minutes!! Shooting a shotgun inside has a much shorter recovery time (only 10 minutes or so). It's kinda like BOOM!! RINGGGGG!!! The concussion is pretty physical though and rattles everything in the room. Shooting either in the dark ruins your night vision.

I don't shoot anything without earplugs any more. I even try to put in earplugs before I shoot a squirrel with my .22. The tinnitus drove me nuts for about a year before I got over the constant noise. If you don't have it yet, by all means do everything you can to not get it. The last thing I ever hear won't be my wife telling me she loves me, it will be that damned RINGGGGG!!!

FL
Old 11-20-2008, 19:23   #21
Points: 3,612, Level: 37 Points: 3,612, Level: 37 Points: 3,612, Level: 37
Last Achievements

i think i got the tinnitus as a child, ive allways had a faint ringing in my ears whenever it got quiet. i remember going shooting and coming back with all the sounds being muffled.
and then i played in a punk rock band for 10 years! so now its a little louder.

needless to say. i wear hearing protection...
No government fights fascism to destroy it.When the bourgeoisie sees that power is slipping out of its hands,it brings up fascism to hold onto their privileges...Durruti http://www.anarchism.net/forum
DURRUTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 20:54   #22
Points: 6,805, Level: 54 Points: 6,805, Level: 54 Points: 6,805, Level: 54
Last Achievements

Has anyone tried this?

First a couple of items. 1)Thanks for your service. 2) Please do go to the VA as suggested. My dad flew in Viet Nam, then retired from the airlines and was still able to receive assistance from the VA. You have earned the right to use the VA, it is not a hand out or some other type of charity that pride should deny.

Now then, Sightmark is a sister company to Yukon. I saw this a while back and thought it was a good idea. It should also meet your ojectives. This is the first link that came up, but you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.redsoldier.com/Sightmark-...ght-with-Laser
Attached Thumbnails
Civilian Battle Rifles-sightmark-dual-shot.jpg  
texastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 23:07   #23
Last Achievements

Ive looked at that sight before. I think it would be fine on a .22lr but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for with optics. Ive have more than my share fail. I stick with Leupolds because they are the ONLY brand Ive tried that holds up. If I could afford zeiss, kahles, etc I would use them.
Old 12-04-2008, 17:08   #24
Points: 2,652, Level: 31 Points: 2,652, Level: 31 Points: 2,652, Level: 31
Last Achievements

I know what you mean about people adding attachments like and weighing the gun down.

deftones_213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:45   #25
Last Achievements

nuff said, thanks for the pic