Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 21:50   #101
Points: 7,020, Level: 55 Points: 7,020, Level: 55 Points: 7,020, Level: 55
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I have never seen a good AR have a real reliability issue. Especially in civilian use.

I prefer the Mini because of the weight.

But...the mag issue is a 'make or break'.

If I had to chose between a light Mini with aftermarket 'iffy' mags...or a heavier AR with 100% reliable military mags...I'd go with the AR.

I have never had anything against AR's. I sold mine because the first time I field stripped it, some little tiny piece or part fell out onto the carpet.

I never did find the part, but, that was it for me. I couldn't have a firearm that have tiny parts/pieces falling out during a simple field strip.

Never did even fire it. But, I did fire a friend of mine's that had one exactly like it. Very accurate. (I'm guessing his AR did not ever lose whatever part/piece that mine did in my carpet.)

Disclaimer: I over reacted in this case and maybe should have kept the AR. But, it was kinda like going out of a first date with a beautiful girl and she farts at dinner.

Sure she's beautiful...and probably a good person...and this was likely an isolated incident...

Even so, with me....the love was gone. LOL!

As far as accuracy...

There is POTENTIAL accuracy and PRACTICAL accuracy.

The AR generally has 'a little' edge as far as POTENTIAL accuracy. That means if the Zombies agree to pose real still for you so that you can get a good sight picture, then the AR will do a little better.

In the Real World, the Zombies tend to duck and weave, move about and jump and shout. I would say the PRACTICAL accuracy for the AR and Mini are equal.

My SHTF scenario involves roaving hordes of ghetto dwellers in an urban/suburban setting. So, my needs are 200 yards and under.

(Plus, my eyes aren't good for too far these days anyway. That's also part of the PRACTICAL in PRACTICAL accuracy too. )

Last edited by Oswald2001; 06-09-2008 at 18:57.
Oswald2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:20   #102
Points: 8,115, Level: 60 Points: 8,115, Level: 60 Points: 8,115, Level: 60
Activity: 6.1% Activity: 6.1% Activity: 6.1%
Last Achievements

If you're selective about what mags you buy, the mini can have an edge in reliability since it can shoot dirtier than an AR. After hours of blasting and buttstocking, those chunks of zombie meat might foul up an AR's action and cause misfires, and the mini don't need no stinking forward assist.
beardenbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:33   #103
Points: 3,590, Level: 37 Points: 3,590, Level: 37 Points: 3,590, Level: 37
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by The_Highlander View Post
Apparently I went over the limit of words on my first post here is the last paragraph.

That also means that now before anything goes crazy, I don't tell my neighbors I have guns, I don't tell my neighbors we have food in the basement. I don't have the discussion we're having here W/ my neighbors.

Really surviving a SHTF is about more than just standing in your yard, ankle deep in brass, the bodies of the rioters, outlaw motorcycle gang members, crazed tweakers, (insert name of evildoers here) stacked like cordwood against your fence in the predawn mist, with the girls from the Hooters restuarant down the street huddled behind you asking you to father their children.... It's about doing the foot work NOW to be prepared.
Great post, Highlander (even if it did take two shots at it ).
One of the more rational posts on this subject that I've read.
Twolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:30   #104
Points: 5,018, Level: 45 Points: 5,018, Level: 45 Points: 5,018, Level: 45
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by FMJMIKE View Post
I have also read that rusted AKs pulled out of rice pattys in Vietnam have fired after having the water poured out of the barrel. I can't imagine an AR-15 doing that !!! I wonder if a Mini will ???
A Mini absolutely will. It would seem that few here know the linage of the AK as far as what Kalishnikov copied in his AK. The Bolt and Trigger design were stolen from the M1 Garand. The Mini 14 is quite simply from that same linage.

CR ><>
Maccabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 14:21   #105
Points: 13,166, Level: 74 Points: 13,166, Level: 74 Points: 13,166, Level: 74
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Last Achievements

Get whichever gun you want. For that most probable SHTF situation that we will have to contend with will be getto thugs rioting in the streets and/or roaming the suburbs looking for trouble. In this case either gun will work well. Whichever one you choose, make sure you have several pre-loaded high-capacity magazines and lots of ammunition.

NRA
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Army (Ret.)
COBRADOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 16:13   #106
Points: 3,828, Level: 39 Points: 3,828, Level: 39 Points: 3,828, Level: 39
Last Achievements

I just read in The Farnam Method of Defensive Shotgun and Rifle Shooting that it is good to have 300 rounds loaded in magazines. I'm thinking that five or six magazines and the rest in stripper clips would work just as well. Besides, stripper clips are lighter. If SHTF I don't want to run out in a critical moment.

On which weapon to buy, I thought about that myself. I have a Mini-14. Nuff said. :-))
Old 06-09-2008, 20:51   #107
Points: 4,857, Level: 44 Points: 4,857, Level: 44 Points: 4,857, Level: 44
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Oswald2001 View Post
My SHTF scenario involves roaving hordes of ghetto dwellers in an urban/suburban setting. So, my needs are 200 yards and under.

For that most probable SHTF situation that we will have to contend with will be getto thugs rioting in the streets and/or roaming the suburbs looking for trouble.
I hate it when people make ignorant comments like this. When you people sit back and fantasize about a situation where you would have to use your guns, is this the best that you can do? Zombies and hordes of ghetto people? Where the f#%k do you all live? Even when I hear about some forum members (other forums) who had their AKs and ARs out during Katrina, its always some loser thats lives 50+ miles outside of any form of looting. Personally I live in downtown New Orleans and out of the many neighbors, friends, family and co-workers that I have talked to, I don't know one person that needed any type of assault rifle to get through Katrina. If you weren't out doing crazy sh*t you didn't have a problem. Its true that its better to have(a gun) and not need than to need and not have, but people need to be realistic.

Last edited by bank80; 06-09-2008 at 20:56.
bank80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 21:06   #108
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by bank80 View Post
I hate it when people make ignorant comments like this. When you people sit back and fantasize about a situation where you would have to use your guns, is this the best that you can do? Zombies and hordes of ghetto people? Where the f#%k do you all live?
Do you also hate it when you, yourself, are the one making ignorant comments?

As I have stated numerous time before, I have only been exposed to SHTF situations 2 times in my life.

Once, as a kid, during the Watts Riots of (I think) 1965.

Second, as an adult was the LA Riots.

Both occasions where the danger came from "hordes of ghetto people". Real scum bags looting and burning buildings to the ground.

During the LA Riots, they were roaming less than 1 block from my house and looting and burning 2 blocks from my house.

That is not 'fantasy'.

I was well prepared for the LA Riots because I made provisions for just such an occurence.

The 'ignorant' made no such provisions.

See? I was 'realistic' in a very real world sense when the real world came a callin'.

I find it peculiar that you would categorize someone as 'ignorant' that has obviously had more real world experience in this area than you.

Well....live and learn.
Old 06-09-2008, 21:29   #109
Last Achievements

Do you also hate it when you, yourself, are the one making ignorant comments?

As I have stated numerous time before, I have only been exposed to SHTF situations 2 times in my life.

Once, as a kid, during the Watts Riots of (I think) 1965.

Second, as an adult was the LA Riots.

Both occasions where the danger came from "hordes of ghetto people". Real scum bags looting and burning buildings to the ground.

During the LA Riots, they were roaming less than 1 block from my house and looting and burning 2 blocks from my house.

That is not 'fantasy'.

I was well prepared for the LA Riots because I made provisions for just such an occurence.

The 'ignorant' made no such provisions.

See? I was 'realistic' in a very real world sense when the real world came a callin'.

I find it peculiar that you would categorize someone as 'ignorant' that has obviously had more real world experience in this area than you.

Well....live and learn.
Oh please enlighten the forum on what provisions you made to keep the "ghetto people" away. Really, I want to know.

Also, you are also missing my point. The LA riots is an extreme situation, so how many people did you have to shoot? How many people do you know killed someone with an assault rifle to "survive"?
Old 06-09-2008, 21:58   #110
Last Achievements

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeesh! And here we go. I guess it's going to have to get Medieval before some folks learn and prepare. As ussual, it will be too late for them.

CR ><>
Old 06-09-2008, 22:10   #111
Last Achievements

1.) Oh please enlighten the forum on what provisions you made to keep the "ghetto people" away.

2.) Really, I want to know.

3.) Also, you are also missing my point.

4.) The LA riots is an extreme situation,

5.) so how many people did you have to shoot? How many people do you know killed someone with an assault rifle to "survive"?

**1.) As well documented in numerous threads, my provisions were: Mini-14 with folding stock, 6 pocket Chinese Chest pouch, 7 30 round Ruger factory mags (6 in the Chest Pouch - 1 in the well)...and more ammo at home.

**2.) It doesn't seem that you are too keen on really wanting to know since you have already been told.

**3.) No. I got your point. And it was coming from your ignorance of the situation.

You, on the other hand, did miss my point which was very clear.

**4.) Yes. It was an extreme situation. That's why they call it SHTF.

And the SECOND one I have encountered in my life. So...SHTF can...and does...happen. "Ignorant" is pretending it doesn't happen and then not making provisions.

The FIRST SHTF situation, my father had responsibly made the proper provisions as I was just a kid.

The SECOND SHTF situation, I, as an adult, had responsibly made the proper provisions.

**5.) Here is where you are further ignorant of the facts.

The whole idea is to NOT have to shoot anyone...to NOT have to kill anyone.

When the hordes of ghetto scum roamed many many square miles of LA County, they didn't loot or burn any homes.

You are ignorant as to why. So I'll help you.

IT'S BECAUSE THEY KNEW THAT MANY HOMEOWNERS HAD GUNS AND WOULD USE THEM IF THEY WENT INTO RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOODS.

The guns that people had served as enough as a deterrent so that not too many ghetto dwelling scum bags were shot and/or killed.

I saw a crowd of about 200 ghetto dwelling scumbags converging on 2 cops with 12 gauge riot guns at port arms.

The ghetto dwelling scumbags later looted and burned several stores in the area because they knew the cops would not use deadly force to stop them. The cops, rather than shoot anyone, simply left the ghetto dwelling scum bags to do millions of dollars worth of damage.

In the residential areas (where I was), many of the homeowners and other residents were ready to shoot to kill if necessary.

The hordes of ghetto dwelling scumbags knew this and steered clear.

The simple fact of being more than able to deal decisively with a horde of ghetto dwelling scum bags...and them knowing it...made all the difference.

The store owners and/or police were not willing to shoot, so property was stolen and/or destroyed.

I was fully and quite adequately prepared for the worst case scenario.

The best use of a firearm is NOT shooting people...it is as a DETERRENT.

Here is another truth about which you are ignorant. Study this one as it is crucial.

A.) If you are not prepared, you are weak.

B.) Ghetto Dwelling Scum Bags, being criminally minded, are Opportunist Predators

C.) Ghetto Dwelling Scum Bag Opportunist Predators can sense weakness and will exploit it to the utmost degree.

D.) Ghetto Dwelling Scum Bag Opportunist Predators can also sense if you are READY, WILLING and ABLE to go all the way.

(That means you have a rifle, ammo and are willing to use it if need be.

Not wanting to use it, but, willing to use it if need be.

This appears to be another area of which you are ignorant.

There is a BIG difference between being READY, WILLING and ABLE to go all the way...and wanting to go all the way.

Sometimes you have to do something that you really don't want to do.)

E.) Being READY, WILLING, and ABLE to cause them more pain and suffering than they are willing to bear...is the only thing that will stop Ghetto Dwelling Scum Bag Opportunist Predators.

Now you have had everything CLEARLY explained to you so that you need not be ignorant any longer.

If you don't get it by now, I could only conclude that you are willfully ignorant and just playing mind games.

Your ignorance shows me that you haven't have enough exposure to the real world and thus your strange comments.

No further comment on my part is necessary.

Last edited by Oswald2001; 06-09-2008 at 22:31.
Oswald2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 22:23   #112
Points: 8,115, Level: 60 Points: 8,115, Level: 60 Points: 8,115, Level: 60
Activity: 6.1% Activity: 6.1% Activity: 6.1%
Last Achievements

beardenbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 23:32   #113
Last Achievements

blah blah blah. An ignorant answer from an ignorant person. What an intellectual response you made there. Are you sure you're not one of the Ghetto Dwelling Scum Bags that you hate so much?

Anyway, just as I suspected you continue to prove my point. Even in your most prime SHTF scenerios you didn't even need to use a butter knife. There is rarely a reason to ever have to kill someone, no real reason for an assault rifle for home defense. You are much more likely to be a victim of violence on a regular day (which is what I'm concerned about not some SHTF scenerio).

For the most part people didn't loot in residential areas during Katrina either. And most of the people (including me) were not even in there homes. Like you said most criminals are opportunist. Given the oppurtunity, most criminals would choose to loot Wal-Mart or something like that rather than your broke ass house. But you continue to think that your "provisions" deterred the rioters when they took on police officers with shotguns. Alrighty then.

And stop it with the "Ghetto Dwelling Scum Bags"...Maybe you need to get involved with your community, instead of sitting around being pis*ed off about it.

I saw a crowd of about 200 ghetto dwelling scumbags converging on 2 cops with 12 gauge riot guns at port arms.
Sure you did...on CNN

Get a life man. I'm sure the LA Riots that happened 15+ years ago is a shining star in your life and you've posted about your "real life SHTF experience(sitting around in your house)" all over forums on the internet, but move on man.

No further comment on my part is necessary
Good, keep it that way.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:35   #114
Points: 4,738, Level: 43 Points: 4,738, Level: 43 Points: 4,738, Level: 43
Last Achievements

Um, yeah... Ok... Hmmm...

Well, I would pick up my Mini-14 instead of my AR in a SHTF scenario because I like it better. I like the ergonomics of the AR, but the smooth profile of the Mini has advantages, too. Both weapons are simple to operate, but I think maintenance would be easier for me with the Mini. Personal preference, I guess, but either weapon would certainly serve the purpose.
hikeeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:49   #115
Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40
Last Achievements

I think this is all fairly humerous to read. All these rifles are reliable and are only as accurate as the person pulling the trigger. I have seen vast amounts of people at the range that could not hit the broadside of a barn if they were inside the barn.
Get whatever you can afford and learn to shoot it properly. All these rifles will work fine. At the present time we are not looking at a MAD MAX at Thunderdrome situation and so all this bantering back and forth is somewhat pointless. AR's are very reliable rifles and so are the Mini's. Since this is a Mini Forum, I would guess that most people here would be in favor of this type of rifle. If you are, they are in fact a good rifle. If you went to the AR Forum, it would be my guess that people there would argue in favor of the AR's. I have one of each. I am not going to add to the foder by saying this one is better than that one. I will just say to go out and learn to shoot what you have.
mjbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 14:23   #116
Last Achievements

I hate it when people make ignorant comments like this. When you people sit back and fantasize .........................
Bank80, FYI, I may have some opinions with which you disagree, and I will readily admit that there are lots of things that I don’t know, but I'm not ignorant by any stretch of your imagination. And without going into detail, my positions are based on experience, and lessons learned, not fantasy.

I won't rehash any of the discussions between the extract from you earlier posting (quoted above) and those preceding this posting, except to say that in you postings I keep seeing two traits: One is your persistence in the use of the word “ignorant” when referring to other opinions with which you disagree (name calling), and second, your constant use of the term “assault weapon”.

I understand why you resort to name calling – it’s a common tactic that some people use when someone has disagreed with them but they are incapable of countering with an intelligent argument.

But my purpose for this posting is to ask you one simple question. You see, all of my life I’ve been around guns – handguns, shotguns, rifles of all types and sizes, cannons, Howitzers, you name it… I’ve used weapons offensively, I’ve used weapons defensively, but even after a good college education in engineering and after serving over 26 years in the military (some of those years in direct combat), I’ve never been able to figure out just what is an “assault weapon”. So, because you have declared by your own admission that you are not “ignorant”, if you would, will you please define for me just exactly what is an “assault weapon”?

NRA
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Army (Ret.)

Last edited by COBRADOC; 06-10-2008 at 14:31.
Old 06-10-2008, 14:35   #117
Points: 5,040, Level: 45 Points: 5,040, Level: 45 Points: 5,040, Level: 45
Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by COBRADOC View Post
will you please define for me just exactly what is an “assault weapon”?
I'll take a shot at that one!

Any weapon which can be used to assault, assail, or cause injury to another. It can run the gamut from hands, to ball-point pens, to nuclear weapons!

Now if you want to get technical, Wikipedia actually has some intelligent discussion on possible definitions. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon for the full article. In short, it offers examples from assault rifles such as the Sturmgewehr and those weapons named in the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban to obstacle breaching weapons such as Bangalore torpedoes.

I don't normally like using Wikipedia as a primary source, but I think this article was pretty well put together.
moonie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:02   #118
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by moonie42 View Post
I'll take a shot at that one!

Any weapon which can be used to assault, assail, or cause injury to another. It can run the gamut from hands, to ball-point pens, to nuclear weapons!

Now if you want to get technical, Wikipedia actually has some intelligent discussion on possible definitions. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon for the full article. In short, it offers examples from assault rifles such as the Sturmgewehr and those weapons named in the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban to obstacle breaching weapons such as Bangalore torpedoes.

I don't normally like using Wikipedia as a primary source, but I think this article was pretty well put together.
Interesting that you would site the Wikipedia piece, because it supports my premise that there is no such thing per sea as an “assault weapon”. It all depends on who is using the term and how they choose to use it. As the article points out time and again, the term is used primarily by, quoting from Wikipedia: "...Legislators and political lobbyists have adopted the term to refer to specific semi-automatic firearms and other firearms listed by specific characteristics for statutory purposes. The legislative usage follows usage by political groups seeking to limit the individual's right to keep and bear arms….."

Continuing to quote: "Advocates for the right to keep and bear arms, commonly referred to as gun rights supporters, generally consider these uses of the phrase assault weapon to be pejorative and politically-motivated when used to describe civilian firearms. This term is seldom used outside of the United States in this context."

Wikipedia continues on to state that: "Recently terminology variants such as "Semi-Automatic Assault Weapon" and "Semi-Automatic Assault Rifle"[3] have been gaining in use by political leaders and groups who seek to limit or ban these firearms."

As you read further you find that: "Under the former Federal Assault Weapons Ban, the primary characteristics of the U.S. M16 and M4 assault rifles, other than fully automatic fire, were chosen to define what makes a semi-automatic rifle an assault weapon -….." In other words, it’s as much about what the gun looks like as it is its actual capability.

In a nutshell, it has little or nothing to do with an actual type of weapon, but it’s all about politicians and their supporting interest groups, and their desire to strip Americans of our Constitutional rights.

NRA
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Army (Ret.)

Last edited by COBRADOC; 06-10-2008 at 17:08.
Old 06-10-2008, 17:51   #119
Points: 4,225, Level: 41 Points: 4,225, Level: 41 Points: 4,225, Level: 41
Last Achievements

Do not let this person[Bank80] represent the people of Louisiana.I have spent alot of my life in south Louisiana,have family in New orleans,have spent alot of time in the big easy,lived through Katrina and storms way before.To me a firearm is a tool,the tool a person may choose is up to them.Bank80,keep it clean and friendly,there are a lot of good people on this forum. To the topic,i would favor a m4 with a night eye between the 2,and again,just 1 guy's choice on these 2,my ''tool of family protection is 1,common sense,2 my yugo m70ab1 if all else fails.[I do like my ss m30 with nickel burris for Louisiana and northTexas boar] on a lighter note

Last edited by NITROS346; 06-10-2008 at 18:31.
NITROS346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:09   #120
Last Achievements

According to Ted "The Swimmer" Kennedy, anyone's Scope Mounted Hunting Rifle should be classified as a "Sniper Rifle."

The True definition of an Assault Rifle comes from the German MP43/44 and STG45 Assault Weapons. In a nutshell, they must be capable of semi-auto and full-auto fire, fire an Intermediate Powered Cartridge, and be of Carbine Length.

CR ><>
Old 06-11-2008, 02:10   #121
Points: 7,463, Level: 57 Points: 7,463, Level: 57 Points: 7,463, Level: 57
Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4%
Last Achievements

Thumbs down

Name-calling degrades these forums.
But a spirited defense is rational.

Deleted my other comments, as things appear to have mellowed out.

Please stay detached guys, I'm learning some interesting info from everybody's comments and am new to most of this.
Non-personal perspective takes some practice.

The darned high vet surgery bill for the cat's kidney stones/liver biopsy will cost me a bunch of future ammo!

Last edited by Ignition Override; 06-11-2008 at 22:55.
Ignition Override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:43   #122
Points: 3,590, Level: 37 Points: 3,590, Level: 37 Points: 3,590, Level: 37
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Ignition Override View Post
Name-calling degrades these forums.

Whenever somebody starts such an attack, it reminds me of under-aged high school kids turned loose upon Youtube gun videos.
Such courage hiding behind a keyboard.
But can't blame anybody for a spirited defense.

Maybe I'll mostly stick to other sites where only adults participate.
Well, good luck with that, buddy. Let me know if you find one, will ya?
By the way, Oswald2001 and COBRADOC, both of you are on target, as usual.
One quick point and I'll shut up and listen; these days, the bad guys or ghetto dwellers or whatever you want to call them, are very likely to be pretty well armed themselves. AK's are really pretty cheap, you know.

Last edited by Twolves; 06-11-2008 at 13:21.
Twolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:21   #123
Points: 4,160, Level: 41 Points: 4,160, Level: 41 Points: 4,160, Level: 41
Last Achievements

just mount a 50cal on ur roof, no one should loot ur ****. make ur house a licensed gun store and get a class 3, buy a 50 cal and lots of 50bmg, mount it on ur roof, and no one will **** with u. u wont even have to use it if everyone can see it
mercdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:24   #124
Points: 4,160, Level: 41 Points: 4,160, Level: 41 Points: 4,160, Level: 41
Last Achievements

like this one
mercdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:47   #125
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by mercdank View Post
just mount a 50cal on ur roof, no one should loot ur ****. make ur house a licensed gun store and get a class 3, buy a 50 cal and lots of 50bmg, mount it on ur roof, and no one will **** with u. u wont even have to use it if everyone can see it
Fun to think about, but really not practical. Besides, at my age, I couldn't get a Ma-Duce out of the back of my truck, much less get it on top of my roof.

The primary objective during a SHTF situation is to defend yourself, your family and your property.

NRA
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Army (Ret.)