Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 01:06   #1
Points: 29,729, Level: 99 Points: 29,729, Level: 99 Points: 29,729, Level: 99
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Best synthetic stock choices for Mini-14's

I'm looking at synth stock choices for Mini's, and have a couple of questions for those who have tried them.

1. In the under $100 category of classic sporter stocks, is it generally true that the Hogue (either the soft overmold or the hard surface model) is probably the best overall fit and quality? I'm aware of the Ramline and Butler Creek, but it looks like Hogue generally gets the quality nod in this price range.

2. Is there any synth stock that has such a good tight fit on the Mini, that you are able to get by without need to bed the stock, in other words you can just drop in your action and your accuracy is pretty much unchanged? Or should I assume that bedding will be an absolute necessity? My Mini already has the standard Gundoc mods, but if I could get away with skipping the bedding, I probably will.

3. This is my key question. In the namebrand synth stocks for the Mini that are higher priced, like these I list below, what are they giving you that really justifies the higher price? Are these higher-priced stocks really going to perform that much better, or make you that much more accurate, than a $60 Hogue stock would?

A couple of over $100 synthetic stocks I'm researching:

* Bell and Carlson Carbelite stock. This thing is a beauty, but I have no idea how good it is. You can get them with one of these cool finishes as well (personally I like the desert camo, pictured below), and I've seen them available for total price of around $160 to $180 at places such as Lockstock.

* MPI stocks. They are more expensive, starting around $300, but are probably better quality than the Bell and Carlson. They have two models, a "classic" and a "tactical", both pictured below and on their site.
Attached Thumbnails
Best synthetic stock choices for Mini-14's-desertcamo.jpg   Best synthetic stock choices for Mini-14's-classicm14.jpg   Best synthetic stock choices for Mini-14's-tacm14.jpg  
timlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:06   #2
Points: 16,023, Level: 81 Points: 16,023, Level: 81 Points: 16,023, Level: 81
Last Achievements

I have the Hogue and really like it BUT am pretty sure that its an inch longer than factory. I really wish that they made one an inch shorter than factory. In order for me to consider an weapon GOOD for SHTF I have to be able to use its as an entry weapon. After getting a shorter stock and chopping the barrel I would love to get the weapon to 35" long.

Untill these things are done to my Mini my AR is my go long arm for SHTF(my main purpose of owning).

I would rather spend good money(over $100) towards an optic over a stock anyday.

"It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

My Mini-14 with Eotech 552 and M3-LED Light

Last edited by ryan_kalani; 05-03-2007 at 03:08.
ryan_kalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:45   #3
Points: 42,227, Level: 100 Points: 42,227, Level: 100 Points: 42,227, Level: 100
Activity: 11.8% Activity: 11.8% Activity: 11.8%
Last Achievements

I really like the Hogue stock and it was not that big of a deal to bed the stock. I you could buy a more expensive stock that would be pre-bedded but you might do better to send it to Gundoc for best results of bedding/price.

-tri
Old 05-03-2007, 13:52   #4
Points: 13,386, Level: 75 Points: 13,386, Level: 75 Points: 13,386, Level: 75
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%
Last Achievements

Hey Timlt,
As far as the bell and carlson stock goes, I think you would probably see a weight savings compared to some other synthetics because of the materials they use, their stocks not being an injected plastic.
B & C stocks are sometimes funny animals, some I have seen fit receivers nearly perfect, others actually having had to remove some material to get the receiver to fit, on one I have had actually had the receiver tilted and a lot of slop. To be fair to B&C these were older models of their stocks. The new ones I have experience with fit much better and I have no complaints.
Their guarantee and handle-ability makes them a strong contender for consideration. Easily worked with and bedded if you choose.

I did have a Hogue stock once, but for a Remington bolt action, good stock but it acted like a dust magnet, the soft rubber covering attracted and held dirt like nothing else I have ever seen. Drove me crazy, but that was a personal thing. Got rid of it when I lucked onto a Factory Remington LVSF (light varmint stainless fluted) stock on eBay. That stock is made by Bell & Carlson for Remington. It's one of the best stocks I have ever had. Light weight, pillar bedded for receiver screws, R3 recoil pad and fits the receiver just fine, no fitting problems like some of the older B&C stocks I have had. On a side note the best part was the price, $46.00 on eBay, same stock from Remington sells for $262.00. I got mine early when the LVSF model first came out, but people have caught on, now the same stock goes for $125 - $150 on eBay and have seen one go for $190. It kind of goes to show, by what people are willing to spend for new and used stocks, the value of a Bell & Carlson.

Another stock you might want to consider as far as a standard type synthetic would be a Choate. I have never had one for a mini, but I have always been impressed with other stocks of theirs and the quality of their products. Mini stocks comes with about a 1" recoil pad which probably could be removed and customized to shorten the stock if you wanted, they go for about $65.
Choate also sells a hand guard to replace the Ruger original. It does away with the side op rod cover of the original, more like the M-14 or the old Ruger wooden hand guards. It has more cooling vents to allow the gas piston barrel/chamber area to radiate heat faster, that is not a bad thing.
Another thing worth noting about Choate is that they manufacture the "basic" synthetic stocks for Remington and Savage among other's. It is possible that they are the manufacturers of the Ruger Mini synthetic stocks, that would be interesting to find out.

I think bedding is an individual thing for a rifle, but probably a good thing to do no matter how tight the stock fits initially. A member here reported on a new Mini-14 synthetic, that shot good initially, then recoil started loosening up the stock/receiver fit until it shot very bad. The hardness of the bedding compound (usually a type of epoxy) and the tight fit after bedding distribute the recoil force over a wider area instead of just one or a few points that with time and recoil get beaten back creating slop between the receiver and stock hurting repeatable accuracy, at least thats how I understand it.

So my list would be, based mostly on price and quality.
B&C
Choate
Butler creek, good stock, no complaints, inexpensive but does the job.

$300 for a mini stock, in my opinion is over kill. Personally I would put the extra $ into ammo.
My $.02

L8R
W B
Walkenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 14:06   #5
Great American
Points: 9,483, Level: 65 Points: 9,483, Level: 65 Points: 9,483, Level: 65
Last Achievements

ive got a hogue as well and i just chopped 2 inches off the back and its good for me. i agree that in the end, $300 would be better invessted in ammo
justinlemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 14:06   #6
Last Achievements

Thanks for the replies; very helpful. It sounds like there's a general consensus, at least from those who've replied so far, that the more expensive MPI stocks may not be worth the extra cost. Perhaps on SOME rifles the MPI's would be worth considering (certain high-end, high-precision custom guns, for instance), but on a Mini, where there are inherent limitations in its accuracy due to the design, like some of you said, the fancier stock may be "overkill."

I'll probably just do a little more research then and try to decide between the Bell/Carlson, the Hogue, and the Choate. Walkenbear, you also make a good point about the different approach to construction and materials in the BC stocks, which would tend to make them stronger, more rigid, and thus not only likely to last longer, but also more conducive to good accuracy provided it is bedded correctly.

Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2007, 16:10   #7
(*.:.*)
Points: 8,539, Level: 62 Points: 8,539, Level: 62 Points: 8,539, Level: 62
Last Achievements

FWIW, I have a Choate and like it very much.
cma g21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 17:05   #8
Points: 10,888, Level: 69 Points: 10,888, Level: 69 Points: 10,888, Level: 69
Last Achievements

I love the Houge. At $60 (if I remember right) it's hard to go wrong ... even if it becomes a "spare". Very lt weight and feels great.

5L

Last edited by 5legion; 05-03-2007 at 17:36.
5legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 17:26   #9
Last Achievements

It's funny, I had kind of written off the Ramline and Butler Creek sporter stocks, but actually, when I read a few reviews, you can find a lot of users who like them too. Supposedly they have a pretty nice fit and finish for a prefit stock.

One interesting extra about the Ramline stocks is, you can actually get one in a camo color, rather than just black. See the options here, you can get the Mini in the "realtree" and "realtree hardwoods" option in addition to black:

http://www.ramlinestocks.com/ramstocks.html
Old 05-03-2007, 18:02   #10
Points: 8,485, Level: 62 Points: 8,485, Level: 62 Points: 8,485, Level: 62
Last Achievements

Does Hogue offer the Mini-14 OM stock in the hard-nylon version?
ecmckean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 19:07   #11
Last Achievements

Hey Timlt,
I have nothing bad to say about the Butler Creek mini stock, good stocks & for the money it's probably the best buy out there. Fit & finish are good. They do the job.

The Ramline on the other hand I'm not so fond of. The synthetic material they use, I think it is called Rynite, is a very hard plastic and has kind of an annoying sound to it when handled. It almost seems to magnify sound when touched up against stuff, it sound's like it has kind of a hard glass like quality to it. Hard to describe it exactly, but I would describe the Ramline as the exact opposite of the Hogue stock as far as sound transference characteristics are concerned. The Hogue soft rubber covering does a great job of muffling sounds as well as adding grip to the stock, it's one of the selling points of the Hogue stocks, they are very quiet stocks, hunters like them. As the Hogue website says:

"The Hogue stock is constructed by molding a super strong and rigid fiberglass reinforced insert or "skeleton" that precisely fits the firearms action. The stock is then OverMolded with our exclusive rubber compound. This provides the ultimate in shooting comfort, is non-slip and creates a super quiet finish for hunting."

Most synthetic stocks are hollow in the butt end, and kind of have a hollow sound when thumped on. The Ramline has more like a tapping/clacking sound when rapped against. Expanding foam shot into the butt end can deaden the sound a bit as well as adding some strength and rigidity to the stock. But if I were you I would try to find an actual Ramline stock to handle, for any model rifle, before you buy and see if the sound deal bothers you as much as it did me, I just didn't like it. Especially when there are other choices out there with out that characteristic. It is very tough material I will give it that.

Buying and selling rifle stocks on ebay has kind of turned into a hobby of mine. I have bought and sold a lot of different kinds, wood, factory Remingon & Savage synthetics, Hogues, Ramline's and quite a few Bell & Carlson's. The Ramlines are the one stock I pretty much stay away from, although I will say the Ramline folder for the mini is one of the lightest folders around. Great for a lightweight truck rifle. I am not saying that the Ramlines are bad stocks, don't want to rile anyone here, but in my opinion there are better ones out there in the same price range. The Butler Creek being the most for the money, IMO.

The Bell & Carlson is a very strong, rigid & light weight stock. It is also a solid stock, not hollow in the butt end like most other synthetics. I'm not talking about sound here but material, it is solid construction, not hollow. And yes, that's a very cool color/camo pattern in the picture you posted.

L8R,
W B

Old 05-03-2007, 19:32   #12
Last Achievements

Hey ecmckean,
I didn't see a hard surface stock when I was on their site just the overmolded stocks.
Here is their website;
Hogue

L8R
W B
Old 05-03-2007, 20:40   #13
Great American
Last Achievements

ive got an fn patrol bolt rifle that is truely a tac driver. it comes with all of the bells and whistles and... a hogue stock. in the end i kind of fell back on that. I actually took my factory stock, stripped it, sanded, conditioned, and refinished in a richer color. which makes all of the difference lookswise. its a wonder ruger didnt do that in the first place.
Old 05-03-2007, 20:59   #14
Last Achievements

I`ve got a Hogue overmolded stock and I`m quite happy with it.
BigOleSwingin` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:37   #15
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Walkenbear View Post
Hey ecmckean,
I didn't see a hard surface stock when I was on their site just the overmolded stocks.
Here is their website;
Hogue

L8R
W B

I sent them a email regarding it as well.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:53   #16
Last Achievements

I had thought that the hard, nylon-coated hogue option (as opposed to the soft rubber-coated version) was available ONLY for 10-22's, and not for Mini's. But if there is a hard-coated option for Mini's, let me know, I'd be interested. If there isn't one, I suppose the next best option for a black nylon stock in the same price range would be the classic Choate or the Butler Creek sporter.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:17   #17
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Hogue CS
Dear Eric,

At this time we do not offer a Nylon stock for the Mini-14.

Thanks,

Stan
Time for an email campaign?
Old 05-04-2007, 13:07   #18
Last Achievements

I called Choate today on their 800 #. I asked if they were the manufacturer for the FACTORY Ruger synthetic stock, answer was no. They have never made synthetic stocks for Ruger, except for their own design aftermarket stocks.

They did confirm that they do make some of the synthetic stocks for Remington & Savage.
Shipping for a choate stock was a reasonable $6.50 to Wa state from Arkansas.

L8R
W B
Old 05-04-2007, 13:17   #19
Last Achievements

Hey CMA q21,
Do you have the conventional style Choate Mini stock, with the recoil pad?
If so, can you tell me what your opinion of the recoil pad is?
Decent? Hard? soft?
Are you using it on a 14 or 30?

Not that the mini 14 really needs much of a recoil pad, but I am hoping to get a mini in the new 6.8 SPC when they appear, and I expect recoil to be just a little stiffer than the 223 or 7.62x39.
Thanx
W B
Old 05-04-2007, 13:40   #20
Isolationist Libertarian
Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
Last Achievements

Like others here I am not a Ramline fan, but my RR wears a Ramline camo stock and will forever, unless it breaks. It fits my rifle d**n tight, enough that it concerned me when first installing it. The noise mentioned in earlier posts is there but ya ain't supposed to beat it on stuff anyway! I have a Bell & Carlson on a Savage 110 Tactical, it's sharp and classy but their customer service sure wasn't. I called to ask if it was possible for me to do a small alteration to fit the stock to my rifle and not void the warranty, they said they would call back to discuss it, then didn't. After a couple days the stock went on the gun and screw the warranty. This was shortly after my useless phone calls to BC over the ultralight bbl. I don't expect much from aftermarket mfg. anymore.
p35bhp55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:53   #21
Last Achievements

Another "stock option" (heh) that I didn't mention earlier. We've had a few threads here discussing the Choate Dragunov stock. I've always been curious about those, I wonder if they have good ergonomics and give you good control and potential accuracy. Obviously they've gotta' be somewhat effective in the sense of being more lightweight, and supposedly they help to absorb recoil through the stock frame.

Can anyone comment on the Dragunov from first-hand experience?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:37   #22
Great American
Last Achievements

i used to have one and theyre fine. i traded out for the hogue which i like better. In the end, i think its all personal prefrence. If you guys are anything like me, youll end up getting a new stock for every rifle you own simply because you cant leave well enough alone. My final vote is the hogue.
Old 05-05-2007, 13:47   #23
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Walkenbear View Post
Hey CMA q21,
Do you have the conventional style Choate Mini stock, with the recoil pad?
If so, can you tell me what your opinion of the recoil pad is?
Decent? Hard? soft?
Are you using it on a 14 or 30?
Conventional style, on a Mini-14. Good recoil pad. fairly soft (not really needed for shooting, but nice to have).
I have a Butler Creek PG stock on another Mini-14, and much prefer the Choate. YMMV
Old 05-05-2007, 13:51   #24
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by timlt View Post
Another "stock option" (heh) that I didn't mention earlier. We've had a few threads here discussing the Choate Dragunov stock. I've always been curious about those, I wonder if they have good ergonomics and give you good control and potential accuracy. Obviously they've gotta' be somewhat effective in the sense of being more lightweight, and supposedly they help to absorb recoil through the stock frame.

Can anyone comment on the Dragunov from first-hand experience?
Not on a Mini, but i had one on an AK, and an SKS (son now has SKS, and son-in-law has AK). They're pretty good (comfortable and well made). MUCH better than the ATI version, IMHO.
Old 05-05-2007, 21:16   #25
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by cma g21 View Post
Not on a Mini, but i had one on an AK, and an SKS (son now has SKS, and son-in-law has AK). They're pretty good (comfortable and well made). MUCH better than the ATI version, IMHO.
All things considered (for a Mini), would you personally lean to the Dragunov or the classic Choate stock if you were choosing today, and why?