Perfect Union banner

Mini 14 Ghost-Ring sight

20K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  bwraven 
#1 ·
Hi I have a question about sight upgrades on a Mini 14.
I'm planning to buy this mini 14. To me this looks like a ranch rifle, but the current owner say it's a Mini 14.
When I look at the Ruger website it looks like their only making Mini 14 and 30 in ranch rifle configuration.

What ghost sights should I order for this rifle?
I found some here http://gunaccessories.com/mini1430/index.asp
They come in Std mini 14, ranch rifle, and mini 30 versions. What is correct for "my" mini?

I'm trying to get the serial from the current owner, but he is difficult man to get in touch with so I tought I would use the day and speak with you instead ;)

What version of the Mini 14 am I buying?
What sights would be right for this rifle?
Will this rifle accept the factory folder?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
At the risk of over simplification....there have been 3 basic versions of the "civilian" Mini-14.

The first version, called the "Mini-14" had a hearty rear sight and did not lend itself to the use of a scope. It featured top ejection. (Shameless plug...this IMHO is the best looking version). This version is no longer manufactured.

The second version of the Mini was the "Ranch Rifle". Manufactured concurrently with the original Mini-14...this version featured a petite folding rear sight, and had built in scope mounting points. It used side ejection to facilitate the use of a scope. Again this version is no longer manufactured. This is the version of rifle that you have pictured.

The current version of the rifle is also confusingly called the "Ranch Rifle"....but many of us refer to it as the "New Mini" or perhaps more accurately the "580 Series Rifle". (The serial numbers of the latest version all begin with 580.) This version features side ejection and built in scope mounting points... and replaced the petite folding rear sight with a hearty (though not quite as hearty as the original Mini-14...IMHO) rear sight. IMHO...this rifle is the best blend of the "gene pool" of its "two parents".

#4 ·
For those have installed the the M1A rear sight from ASI, please tell me about your experience with it. Also, do the range markings on it line up as you thought they would with actual usage, or is it like the modified M1A sight from tips and tricks, where the numbers dont mean anything.

thanks

Bryan

#5 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Well, thats the one I was mentioning from tips and tricks. What I want to know is are the one from Numerich that's described in the tips and tricks, EXACTLY the same as the one from ASI (other than having to grind).

The real question is: Do the range marks (50, 100, etc) correlate to the mini-14 drop at those ranges on the ASI sight. Did they redesign the M1A sight for the Mini-14, or just grind off part of it like in the tips and tricks, and then sell it on the internet?

see what I mean?

thanks!

B

#8 ·
are these the same

Here is a better way to ask my question...

are these the same, or did ASI make a sight specifically for the Mini-14 with the range marks calibrated for the .223?

pic with the sight on the Mini is the sight from ASI.
pic with just the sight is from Numrich and is a M1A sight, as described in the tips and tricks, one that would need dovetail modification.

Not too worried about a scope at this point, just a good iron sight.

thanks again

Bryan

Attachments

#14 ·
Here is a better way to ask my question...

are these the same, or did ASI make a sight specifically for the Mini-14 with the range marks calibrated for the .223?

pic with the sight on the Mini is the sight from ASI.
pic with just the sight is from Numrich and is a M1A sight, as described in the tips and tricks, one that would need dovetail modification.

Not too worried about a scope at this point, just a good iron sight.

thanks again

Bryan
Amen. I'm still looking for the answer to this!!

#9 ·
What ghost sights should I order for this rifle?
I would go with XS sights
I like to keep it simple.
They offer rear ghost ring sights for either the standard or ranch Mini's. They will sell the rear sight separate from their front & rear sight package, although not shown in the catalog or on the web sight, just call and ask.
$30 for standard mini rear sight insert .141 ghost peep size opening uses ruger sight housing to adjust for elevation & windage.
$60 for ranch mini ghost ring rifle rear sight, comes with 2 rear sight posts- .191 & .230 ghost ring openings. The sight adjusts for elevation and windage, all iron sight.
The 223 is a pretty flat shooting cartridge, personally I don't need to adjust elevation for shots over 200-250 yards. If sighted in at 150 yards it drops 2" at 200 yards & about 5 1/2" at 250 yards. After that I would be using a scope. Also most mini's, as well as a lot of shooters, are not accurate enough to shoot accurately over 250 yards with open sights.
All mini 14's should accept the factory folder, with the possible exception of the 180 series, Rugers first series of mini 14's. The 180 series (the first 3 numbers of the serial number) is not supported by Ruger any longer and may be difficult to get parts for if you should ever need them.
Just my 2 cents,

#10 ·
And for the front sight . . .

Thanks to Walkenbear for the info on getting the XS rear sight separately. I'm definitely getting one of those. That stock Ranch Rifle rear peep sight needs to go into the parts box. :blink:

Now I'm looking into a brake/flash hider with a front sight. I like the looks of the Eagle with the H&K-style ring-and-post, but am still looking for a vendor who actually has any in stock, and for less than an arm-and-a-leg price. (I'll pay a leg, maybe. I need both arms to shoot with.)

Either of the Choate MB/FH's with the sight would be fine, too, but I saw in Cajungeo's thread about all the different types that with one of those, the barrel will have to be re-drilled to accommodate the roll pin (bottom) location. I ain't looking forward to that. <_<

Also found a helpful 2006 thread by WhyteP38 about how he managed to get a new Eagle FH/sight installed without any bloodshed. Lots of good info, like BWRaven's suggestion of a little Loctite® to keep leftover lube from squirting out from under the sight when the Mini is fired. :cool:

Any thoughts on Choate vs. Eagle, etc.?

#12 ·
Thanks to Walkenbear for the info on getting the XS rear sight separately. I'm definitely getting one of those. That stock Ranch Rifle rear peep sight needs to go into the parts box. :blink:

Now I'm looking into a brake/flash hider with a front sight. I like the looks of the Eagle with the H&K-style ring-and-post, but am still looking for a vendor who actually has any in stock, and for less than an arm-and-a-leg price. (I'll pay a leg, maybe. I need both arms to shoot with.)

Either of the Choate MB/FH's with the sight would be fine, too, but I saw in Cajungeo's thread about all the different types that with one of those, the barrel will have to be re-drilled to accommodate the roll pin (bottom) location. I ain't looking forward to that. <_<

Also found a helpful 2006 thread by WhyteP38 about how he managed to get a new Eagle FH/sight installed without any bloodshed. Lots of good info, like BWRaven's suggestion of a little Loctite® to keep leftover lube from squirting out from under the sight when the Mini is fired. :cool:

Any thoughts on Choate vs. Eagle, etc.?
You might wanna consider sending your rifle to the Gundoc over at GreatWestGunsmithing.com. Tell him what you need and he can do it. He will even do crazy custom stuff if you like, but i do know for sure that the XS Tritium sights is something hes familiar with as it comes in package #3. Hes supposed to be one of the best there is for gunsmithing your Mini and is highly regarded by many a member here which is what convinced me to send my beloved off to him. Hes putting on a choate flash hider for me right now and hes even going to permanently attach it to the 16" barrel.

#11 ·
I put an Eagle f/h with the H&K style front sight on my s/s Ranch, works well and looks good. Also drilled out the Ruger rear peep sight to .1094 - 7/64". Much easier to pick the target, and acts like a ghost ring. Original front sight was so FAT I never could see the target! I would still like to change the rear sight to the M-1 Carbine adjustable style, but not sure about front to rear horizonal alignment. Eagle f/h was easy to install, also.

#13 ·
Thanks, I do plan to let my Mini take a trip to Salem, Orygun some day, and have even exchanged email with Gun Doc about it. The only problem is, I have a couple of qualification courses coming up in mid-April, and the ammo for those will take a big bite of my budget. (No employer springing for such things, yet.)
The other constraint is time. I won't attempt a "kitchen table" trigger job, so the trigger group could get pulled and shipped out soon, but any other mods between now and the dates of the courses are probably going to have to be done by me.
My new Accu-strut should show up any day now, along with the used Ultimak I tracked down. Better iron sights, with a good muzzle brake, and maybe the trigger job, and I should at least be able to qualify. (Show those AR-types what we can do. :cool: )
Oh, yeah, and the gas bushing, too. Something else I'd rather let Doc work his magic on, but I should learn to do some of that stuff for myself, in case of problems some day.

Whoa, got a little thread drift there, didn't we? :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.