LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 21:05   #1
Points: 4,742, Level: 43 Points: 4,742, Level: 43 Points: 4,742, Level: 43
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Hogue overmolded Stock...bedding?

Got another question...
In the advertisement for the Hogue stock they write the following:
"Inside each stock is a rigid, full-length liner that makes for a rock-solid bedding system. No need for glass-bedding, although you can if you want to."

I'm sure there are folks here who've used and are using their stocks. Question is if you get this stock do you still need to bed your mini for increased accuracy?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 21:24   #2
Points: 14,154, Level: 77 Points: 14,154, Level: 77 Points: 14,154, Level: 77
Last Achievements

I hear its a pain to bed, but a lot of people still bed it. If there was no need for bedding, I would have one.
"In life, we can never escape the rain...the rain must fall." -Myron Carter
adaman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:57   #3
Points: 41,127, Level: 100 Points: 41,127, Level: 100 Points: 41,127, Level: 100
Activity: 24.2% Activity: 24.2% Activity: 24.2%
Last Achievements

I just bedded mine, it is good and tight now but before it was a little loose. I don't know if they have change in 3 yrs I've had mine. It is a comfortable stock and has a good feel. The I did not bed around the trigger group or the top of the stock the reciever sits on because of the rubberized molding pulls things together tightly. I did bed the insides was were it was needing. I am going out today to fire some rounds thru it and see how it does. I had some brass shims in there before bedding.

-tri
Old 04-15-2006, 05:52   #4
Points: 4,742, Level: 43 Points: 4,742, Level: 43 Points: 4,742, Level: 43
Last Achievements

Thanks. How much work was it to do the bedding yourself?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:42   #5
Points: 41,127, Level: 100 Points: 41,127, Level: 100 Points: 41,127, Level: 100
Activity: 24.2% Activity: 24.2% Activity: 24.2%
Last Achievements

The work itself is easy, you just look were the reciever and stock mates together and drill shallow holes to create a lock for the epoxy. Use clay to fill in the open areas that will glue the metal to the stock. I only did one side of the trigger guard area but the main area was the recoil lugs. You need clay in the notches were the trigger locks into the reciever. The sides of the reciever sides are the other main area but I did not do the top of the stock or the trigger group area. The rubberized material makes a tight fit. I bought a kit with clay and a release agent to cover the metal areas that comes in contact with the epoxy. Use masking tape around the trigger group and any other area on the stock or reciever or barrel that you don't want the epoxy on. It was not that bad to do and simple after I studied pictures of the M1 bedding in the tips and tricks section. Also the kit came with a micro bead powder to thicken and colors black and brown, the black matches good to the color of the Hogue stock. Study the pic good and tape and clay, release agent well.

-tri
Old 04-17-2006, 16:05   #6
Points: 104,468, Level: 100 Points: 104,468, Level: 100 Points: 104,468, Level: 100
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Originally Posted by OneBoom
Got another question...
In the advertisement for the Hogue stock they write the following:
"Inside each stock is a rigid, full-length liner that makes for a rock-solid bedding system. No need for glass-bedding, although you can if you want to."

I'm sure there are folks here who've used and are using their stocks. Question is if you get this stock do you still need to bed your mini for increased accuracy?

Thanks
That is a little misleading on their web site. The pillar bedding block is for bolt actions only! Not semi-autos.
I bedded my hogue stock, and trigger job, tightened average 5 shot groups 3/4" and got rid of the 4" fliers.
Mike Knifong (the gun smith not the prosecuter) has a bedding video for bedding the mini. It is a step by step. There is also a how to bed the M1 similar in the tips & tricks section.

Last edited by cajungeo; 04-17-2006 at 16:07.
cajungeo is offline   Reply With Quote