Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 09:11   #1
Points: 4,742, Level: 43 Points: 4,742, Level: 43 Points: 4,742, Level: 43
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Muzzle Brake for New Mini

Hey All,
I just picked up my new SS mini-14 Wed. and now that the rain is letting up I'm going out today to fire for first time.
I also ordered the Eagle muzzle brake with HK site from bosesguns.com (best price after LOTS of searching).
Question is: How easy/hard is it to install? What tools will I need to do it?
Thanks

BTW - OneBoom is a GOAL not a reality YET...
OneBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 13:29   #2
Points: 4,595, Level: 43 Points: 4,595, Level: 43 Points: 4,595, Level: 43
Last Achievements

I'm going to get one of those... I can't see it requiring anything more then a hammer and some punches. Hate those roll pins. They are easy to take and put on, just annoying. If you've ever built an AR you know what I mean.
oneighteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 14:20   #3
Points: 4,630, Level: 43 Points: 4,630, Level: 43 Points: 4,630, Level: 43
Last Achievements

if its a pinned sight just remember to lock the base of the sight in a soft jawed vise after you have centered it up and prior to inserting the pin. i didn't and spent an hour and a half tapping my sight back and forth between just a little bit too far to the left and a little bit too far to the right.
bollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 15:37   #4
Points: 104,468, Level: 100 Points: 104,468, Level: 100 Points: 104,468, Level: 100
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Hey oneboom. If your new mini is a 590 series the Eagle won't fit. They are coming out with one that will fit the new Mini's soon.
cajungeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 23:16   #5
Last Achievements

Thanks Cajungeo. Definately DOES NOT FIT out of the box. It may be the same problem as with the 590. I just received my new flash hider and went to install tonight. Problem is when I put the new FH on and aligned the sight groove on barrel with the roll pin hole the set screw hole was not far enough back to contact the barrel.

My question is 1) Is this a problem anyone else has encountered? 2) If I use the new sight roll pin hole as a guide is it safe to drill a new groove? Maybe I could use a grinder/dremel to make new groove? Worst case is I'll be forced to send to Gundoc to shorten and attach properly :-) Not such a bad worst case!

This is the first time I've ever played garage gunsmith...It's kinda fun.

Last edited by OneBoom; 04-18-2006 at 07:56.
OneBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 17:49   #6
Last Achievements

Well I talked to Gundoc and I've decided that I'm not going to mess with it. He's got a good thing going on up there and he'll do it right the first time.
SO...in a week or so my mini is going to get the treatment! I'll just hate to see it gone for a couple weeks or so.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:07   #7
Points: 42,227, Level: 100 Points: 42,227, Level: 100 Points: 42,227, Level: 100
Activity: 11.8% Activity: 11.8% Activity: 11.8%
Last Achievements

Are you going to get a trigger and gas port combo? Most everyone agrees the trigger is key to good shooting and you might as well get it done.

-tri
Old 04-19-2006, 18:54   #8
Points: 5,021, Level: 45 Points: 5,021, Level: 45 Points: 5,021, Level: 45
Last Achievements

If you want to still.

I have a new SS/Syn and I installed a John Mason brake. Fit was fine, Slightest amout of differance in diamiter between the brake and the barrel. The Brake does not fit the barrel as tight as the stock sight.

All that is needed to remove the old and install the new is a punch the size of the roll pin (or smaller), Small hammer, and a large brass punch (Aprox the size of the barrel).

Remove the rollpin with the punch.

Lightly clamp the barel in a vise so that the barrel is still free but the sight sits on top of the jaws. Useing the brass punch knock the barrel through the sight, but be carefull not to let the gun drop .

Now that the barrel is naked just slip the new sight/brake over the barrel. Now, tap the roll pin into one side of the site just enough so that it stays there without falling out.

looking through the hole on the other side, line up the slot on the barrel with the holes in the break. gently tap the rollpin throught the sight and barrel.

Install your set screw and your finished!

You can check out how it looks here. Me and my Girls

BTW it is much louder with the brake installed. But, I can fire much faster now due to the loss of muzzle rise. I can actually watch the bullet hit the target.
I also have a gas bushing and recoil spring installed.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 20:44   #9
Last Achievements

Thanks Hunter.

I actually went through all the steps but when I slipped the new Eagle site in to where the roll pin groove is the set screw was in front of the barrel by about 3/8"-1/4" so the screw had nothing to tighten up on.

I was thinking about making a new groove but I think I'll send it to Gundoc and let him shorten it and attach it.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-25-2006, 13:09   #10
Last Achievements

Well I did it! Last night I decided I would go ahead and cut a new roll pin slot in my 580 series to allow the Eagle muzzle brake to fit on with some barrel left for the set screw to tighten on.

First I practiced the cut on a piece of galvanized 1/2"
pipe just to get the feel of using my 4 1/2" grinder to do such delicate work. My first try went well so I mounted my barrel in the vise marked the spot and went for it. The new slot isn't as clean as the factory one BUT when I installed the new roll pin it actually fit tighter than when I used the factory slot.

I used locktite around the barrel to prevent gas blow back. I marked and drilled a small indent for the set screw and used loctite in there as well. I'll be trying it out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.