Perfect Union banner

best bullet weight in mini-30?

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  338mag 
#1 ·
Trying to find an accurate load for my mini,I wonder what`s your nr1 bullet weight (and type)for max accuracy is.

#3 ·
In factory or handloads the best I have found has been handloads. Sierra Single shot pistol bullets in 30 caliber, 135 grains have been by far the best accuracy I have gotten with my Mini 30. I have one group that measures 7/8 inch for five shots. 10 shots widened it to 1 and 3/4 inch but no other bullet has come close to that small of group in my rifle. I have not shot a deer with this combo yet but the velocity should be right for the bullet to mushroom well. hope this helps. Fuzzy

#4 ·
I shoot the Wolf 154 grain, jacketed soft point, non corosive ammo, in my SKS, AK and Mini 30 SS.
It shoots just fine and has the ballistics of a 30-30 if you are a hunter.
As for accuracy, without using a scope, just open sights, at 50 yards I keep them in a 1 to 1 1/2 inch group. At 100 yards, the SKS and the Mini 30 SS shoot almost the same. About 2 to 3 inch groups. The AK (from Arsenal, American made) 3 to 4 inch groups.
I'm planning on putting a scope on the Mini 30 SS, probably a 3x9 40mm. I'm anxious to see the groupings I get then!
In conclusion, compared to American ammo, 122 and 125 grain ( I cannot find larger in American ammo), the Wolf 154 grain is by far the most accurate.

#5 ·
Hey Fuzzy, I too like the 135gr Sierra SSP for hunting in my Mini-30. The only problem is that bullet is no longer manufactured by Sierra. It was discontinued last spring. So the 600 I have left will be used sparingly. I have purchased a bunch of 130gr Hornady SSP to replace the Sierra 135 but havn't tried them out yet.
What are you using for powder?
These are some of the powders I have tried using 125gr Sierra .308 bullet.
R-7 Not bad vel. but lotsa fliers.
H335 Avg vel. and good groups
AA1680 Good vel. needs help in the accuracy dept.
IMR 4227 not bad, not great
AA 2015 Under development, shows promise
AA 2230 My best load. Will shoot sub. MOA with Biathlon Stabilizer installed

Attachments

#6 ·
I tested some handloads today:110grs sierra varminter
150grs nosler ballistic tip
150grs sierra spitzer
123grs winchester soft point (310cal)
I was surprised that only the winchester load had something close to fine precision.The others was spreading "all over" the target.At 100 yards,groups were 4" and thats not satisfying for a huntin rifle I think.The winchester group measured 2",but then the barrel was hot.I used vihtavouri N-120 in all loads

#8 ·
Was the 150 Sierra .311 or .308. They make both. If you think the lighter bullets give you better groups, I would try the Sierra 125gr .308 and also the 125gr .311 and see what your gun likes best. Mine was purchased in the 80's and it shoots .308 better.
What manuals are you getting you load data from?

#9 ·
Hi Steve4102, I have gotten my best groups with Surplus AA2200. I pick up a 6 pound bottle 3 years or so back. I would pick Reloader 7 as a second choice. I don't have a chronograph so I can't comment on the velocities. I didn't know that Sierra had discontinued the 135 gr. Single Shot Pistol Bullets. I only have about 200 left so they will be used very sparingly. i will have to try the Hornaday bullets for the Single Shot Pistols. I have a box of Hornaday 123 gr .311 bullets that I have just never gotten around to trying. They may shoot alright. I have only tried .308 bullets so far except for cast bullets. Those I size .313. They chamber fine. Accuracy is in the 3 and a half to 5 inch range. Not real good but very cheap and fun to shoot. Reloader 7 does as well with them as the AA2200. Fuzzy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.