Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2004, 18:55   #1
Points: 34,599, Level: 100 Points: 34,599, Level: 100 Points: 34,599, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I can't take credit for all the homework done for these posts, however, I have seen examples of these different stocks and the info is good.

NOTICE TO PROSPECTIVE BUYERS OF RUGER MINI 14 FACTORY FOLDING STOCK RIFLES - BUYER BEWARE!

This notice is to inform you that there has been an increase in the number of rifles for- sale that appear to look like, or may be offered as genuine ruger factory Wood folding stock models. The wording in the auctions can be very misleading. Know what you are getting, read the remainder of this to learn how to spot a factory original from a non-original add-on fake.

Ruger has made many mini14 rifles over the years, and there has been one distinguishing mark that shows a rifle came from the ruger factory with a folding stock. That mark is the location of the front sling swivel. The picture here shows the CORRECT location of the swivel on a FACTORY SUPPLIED folding stock rifle. If the rifle you are considering to buy has the swivel in the bottom position (see where arrow is pointing), it came from the factory with a standard full wood stock. Nothing, not even a factory folding stock can change that. Sometime during its existance, someone put a folding stock on it. This is fine if you know about it, but plays havock with the value of the item if you think you are getting an original factory manufactured collector piece instead of an add-on fake. Unfortunately, you can't count on the seller to inform you because he may not be aware of it himself. If you are wanting an authentic ruger folder, always make sure you can see the front sling swivel's location in any picture.

The ruger factory folding stock is unique, it is wood, and has a blued or stainless steel arm that folds to the right and a buttplate that folds down underneath parallel with the arm. (See the 2nd picture below) The stock always matches the rifle: - Blued rifle, blued stock. In the early years, only Ramline make a clone of the factory stock - its close but easy distinguishable to the knowledgeable observer. Ramline's later stocks as well as all of the other after market suppliers of folding stocks, Butler Creek, Choate, Federal Ordance are obviously non-factory as their appearance is completely different.

In conclusion, know your rifles and know your stocks. Learn to spot a true original from a fake, be an educated buyer. I hope that you found this information useful.

Please check the pictures below.

PICTURE 1:Side Swivel - This is the only position for the swivel on an original factory supplied side folding rifle. If the swivel is where the arrow is pointing - the bottom, the rifle came from the factory with a fixed straight stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger Folding Stocks-post-8-1073271405.jpg  

<span style=\'color:blue\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>&quot;If guns cause crime,then all of mine are defective.&quot; - Ted Nugent

&quot;When sending your wife down the road with a gas can, it is impolite to ask her to bring back beer.&quot; - Unknown</span></span>
quadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 18:58   #2
Points: 34,599, Level: 100 Points: 34,599, Level: 100 Points: 34,599, Level: 100
Last Achievements

SECOND PICTURE:This picture shows a factory ruger side folding stock - blued, the stainless ones look the same, only silver in appearance.

THIRD PICTURE:This picture shows a Butler Creek Stainless side folding stock. The blued ones are black or dark blue in appearance.

FORTH PICTURE: This is of the early model Ramline Wood Side Folding Stock, there is another later model that is much more true to the ruger design, but I haven't been able to locate a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger Folding Stocks-post-8-1073271491.jpg  

<span style=\'color:blue\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>&quot;If guns cause crime,then all of mine are defective.&quot; - Ted Nugent

&quot;When sending your wife down the road with a gas can, it is impolite to ask her to bring back beer.&quot; - Unknown</span></span>
Old 01-04-2004, 18:59   #3
Last Achievements

FIFTH PICTURE: This is of the FED ORD Underfolding Stock.

SIXTH PICTURE: This is the latest variety of Ramline Folding Stock.

SEVENTH PICTURE: This is the second variety of Ramline Stock. (The closest to the Factory model) Look Very carefully.This one fools alot of people!! The giveaway (for me) is the AR-15 pistol grip!!
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger Folding Stocks-post-8-1073271568.jpg  

Old 01-04-2004, 20:49   #4
Points: 12,901, Level: 74 Points: 12,901, Level: 74 Points: 12,901, Level: 74
Last Achievements

Are the fake Ruger side folding stocks cheaper? I'd love one but I can't afford the high price on the factory stocks. Are the Ruger "Styled" stocks cheaper? Anyone know where I could get one?

Brian
Old 01-05-2004, 08:45   #5
Points: 8,490, Level: 62 Points: 8,490, Level: 62 Points: 8,490, Level: 62
Last Achievements

Also with factory folders there was a date code printed on the wood under the metal heat shield /brace. This was so faint it may not be visable.

I should also add I only know this to be true on the one I use to own and that while I suspect this was common to all factory folders I am not a expert.

2 gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 16:01   #6
Points: 104,468, Level: 100 Points: 104,468, Level: 100 Points: 104,468, Level: 100
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanks quadfan for the warning. Very well done. It may save someone some grief.

BTW I merged your 3 parts into 1
cajungeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 19:09   #7
Points: 6,640, Level: 53 Points: 6,640, Level: 53 Points: 6,640, Level: 53
Last Achievements

Hmmm...my Pre-ban mini-14 GB 183 series has has the bottom mounted swivel. The serial number has been confirmed by Ruger as being sold with factory SIDE folding stock...twice. Wonder if the prior owner/dept. made the swap; ordered or otherwise.

Well, while my buttstock is being squared away by Ruger, I might see if I can get my hands on the gas bolck with side mounted swivel!
mojo_matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 19:17   #8
Last Achievements

Reguardless...if you were very animate about purchasing a true folding Ruger rifle, in correct configuration, call Ruger for serial number verification.....phone number is: (603) 865-2442.

Ruger staff is very friendly!
Old 04-02-2004, 22:19   #9
Banned
Points: 7,598, Level: 58 Points: 7,598, Level: 58 Points: 7,598, Level: 58
Last Achievements

Another good way to tell a "real" Ruger factory folding stock is by how much it rattles and how loose it becomes after a few years!!! We had ones at the Prison Complex I worked at that you could just shake and they would come unfolded. Get a Butler Creek-they are far better.
AZSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:30   #10
Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51
Last Achievements

I was wondering....I'm about to buy a friend's pre ban mini 14 blued with factory folding stock, serial #186-17861. He's selling it for $550, and he said, as far as he knows, everything's original, but the front swivel is in the bottom, not on the left side of the barrel. The stock really looks original. Is it still a good deal if the original stock didn't belong to the rifle. I'm buying the mini mainly because of the original stock, plus the rifle is in good condition. If I call ruger about the serial #, will they be able to tell me the original type of stock the rifle came with?
airikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:28   #11
Last Achievements

I called Ruger, and checked out pics in Duncan Long's Mini-14 book....The GB folders have the swivel mounted on bottom, while the "civilian" folders had the swivel mounted on the side.

SIMPLIFED to the point:

If you see a "GB" folder (preban) will have swivel mounted on bottom like the fixed stock civilian rifles!

Otherwise, a non-GB "civilian" folder will have the swivel on the side.

Considering that the GB models fetch a huge premium over other Mini-14s, this little detail is nice to know!

airikem....Yes, if you call Ruger, they will be able to tell you original configuration of the rifle in question....even the date of production! Since the front swivel of the rifle in question is on the bottom, either the rifle your buddy is trying to sell you is NOT a factory folder, OR it is a HIGHLY valuable GB model (IF pre-ban...serial number can be confirmed as such while calling Ruger)!!! CALL RUGER!!!
Old 04-04-2004, 10:33   #12
Last Achievements

AZSherman...in reguards to the "rattling" factory folder, did anyone attempt to tighten the screw/lug the folding "buttpad" area locks onto. I noticed when reassembling folder after cleaning, that you can "dial in" lock-up by tightening or loosening that screw/lug! Tightening the screw/lug too much made locking into folder position nearly impossible....backing off about a turn made for perfect lock-up. Loosening too much made for a sloppy mess.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:22   #13
Banned
Points: 7,598, Level: 58 Points: 7,598, Level: 58 Points: 7,598, Level: 58
Last Achievements

I don't know-I was a Counselor and did not get a lot of "trigger time." Only when we were very short-staffed was I put in positions that required use of a firearm. I always drew the regular-stocked models instead. But nothing stows away better in the back of your Nissan X-Terra than a Mini-14 with a Butler Creek Folder!!!!
AZSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 22:16   #14
Registered Member
Points: 5,889, Level: 49 Points: 5,889, Level: 49 Points: 5,889, Level: 49
Last Achievements

I own an original Mini-14 folding SS .223 rifle made in Dec. 1989. It is missing the rear sling swivel. Ruger doesn't have any SS folder parts, does anyone out there have any leads on this part? Thanks, "pan957@hotmail.com"
pan957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:39   #15
Points: 6,345, Level: 51 Points: 6,345, Level: 51 Points: 6,345, Level: 51
Last Achievements

They don't? I bet they do, they just aren't selling them to you. I have a LEO catalog from 95/96 showing them selling everything from GBs to AC556s. Even if they discontinued the stock, they would still have parts on hand for repairs. Its just they won't do it unless your an LEO or you send a folder on a rifle back to the factory to have whatever repaired.

Maybe someone here can verify current production status.
Old 04-20-2004, 15:43   #16
Last Achievements

I recently sent my pre-ban factory folding stock in for service. It is stainless. I replaced the wood and pistol grip. I also asked for a replacement rear swivel. The swivel which was installed was similar to those sold by "Uncle Mike's" though a little beefier...not the typical bent stainless "coat hanger" loop (yuck!).

Ruger stated that they only had a piece wood for a couple folders left. Pistol grips are available. As far as steel parts, there are none.

A little piece of info....Ruger stopped making factory folding stocks in 1989. They sold their supply until just enough parts were stocked for warranty purposes. GB models are still sold as L.E.O....but stocks are supplied outside of Ruger.

Which is good got those who own factory Ruger rifles...even after the AWB sunset, our prized factory folders will still be worth a nice little chunk of change!
Old 04-22-2004, 07:56   #17
Points: 6,345, Level: 51 Points: 6,345, Level: 51 Points: 6,345, Level: 51
Last Achievements

Here's hoping someone makes a replica folding stock, ala Ramline version 2. I love the unique look of the Ruger folding stock, too bad they discontinued them. I'm going to have a heck of a time obtaining one of them or a Ramline (not the synthetic one) when I end up getting a Mini14.
Old 05-11-2004, 18:14   #18
Points: 7,515, Level: 57 Points: 7,515, Level: 57 Points: 7,515, Level: 57
Last Achievements

Originally posted by mojo_matic@Apr 4 2004, 07:28 AM
I called Ruger, and checked out pics in Duncan Long's Mini-14 book....The GB folders have the swivel mounted on bottom, while the "civilian" folders had the swivel mounted on the side.
..... [snip] ....
Since the front swivel of the rifle in question is on the bottom, either the rifle your buddy is trying to sell you is NOT a factory folder, OR it is a HIGHLY valuable GB model
I would avoid jumping to conclusions like this. A Mini with a standard front swivel and a factory folder is most likely just a standard Mini where someone bought a folder from someone who didn't want it, and put it on themselves. I have seen lots of OEM factory folding stocks for sale over the years, and this is a very common swap. Or someone could have replaced the lower portion of the gas block. Or they may have used a different lower gas block when assembled - variations do exist. Lots of possibilies.

Bottom line is that you if you are a collector and you must have a rifle exactly as it came from the factory, these distinctions may be important, but if you are a shooter you should choose what works best for you. For me the BC is much more solid than the Ruger. But I don't really shoot it with the folder, because the balance and ergonomics are significantly compromised. If it were in an aircraft survival kit, or other application where carry size was a critical issue, I would prefer it in the folder, but for shooting, they are less than ideal. And a standard rifle can be broken down to pack up several inches shorter than a folder, and reassembled in 15 - 30 sec.

-- cw
cw2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 19:25   #19
Last Achievements

Yes, it was a common swap.

No "jumped conclusions"...just facts.

Ruger confirmed that the GB folders had the swivel on bottom back when I serviced my factory stock...I was concernced as to whether or not my rife was orginal or not...it was, and it had the swivel on the bottom of gas block...it came from the factory in this configuration.

The GB was considered a military type rifle...easy to portage slung on shoulder. GB models with fixed stocks had swivel on bottom in rear, swivel on side of gas block.

GB folders had swivel on side in rear, swivel on bottom of gas block.

Configuration makes rifle comfortable to carry over shoulder whether a folder or not.

....but I DO agree that if you insist on making sure rifle is 100% correct for collectability, definitely call Ruger with serial number...they will square you away.
Old 09-24-2004, 15:55   #20
Points: 5,582, Level: 48 Points: 5,582, Level: 48 Points: 5,582, Level: 48
Last Achievements

I was wondering where you can get a folding stock that fits the mini-14 ranch. My buddy has a ranch and saw my mini-14 with the folder and wanted one, bought the butler creek one but it didn't fit. what can i do
bud_E_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 18:55   #21
Points: 7,282, Level: 56 Points: 7,282, Level: 56 Points: 7,282, Level: 56
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%
Last Achievements

Originally posted by bud_E_lee@Sep 24 2004, 02:55 PM
I was wondering where you can get a folding stock that fits the mini-14 ranch. My buddy has a ranch and saw my mini-14 with the folder and wanted one, bought the butler creek one but it didn't fit. what can i do
lee i have a ranch rifle with a butler creek folding stock...fits perfect too.

http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/index.p...showtopic=12090

...because no one is free when others are opressed...

...the best of all things is to learn;money can be lost or stolen,heath and strength may fail,but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever...
targetsfearme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 00:16   #22
Points: 6,608, Level: 53 Points: 6,608, Level: 53 Points: 6,608, Level: 53
Last Achievements

how much is a factory stock worth ?????
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:39   #23
Points: 5,582, Level: 48 Points: 5,582, Level: 48 Points: 5,582, Level: 48
Last Achievements

Yeah it works fine i just messed up but now im looking for bayonet lugs for the mini any suggestions. Thanks
bud_E_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 05:24   #24
Points: 6,608, Level: 53 Points: 6,608, Level: 53 Points: 6,608, Level: 53
Last Achievements

Keep your eye on e-bay for bayonet lugs iv seen many there.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:41   #25
Points: 7,058, Level: 55 Points: 7,058, Level: 55 Points: 7,058, Level: 55
Last Achievements

If you are a shooter, and not a collector, the Choate folder is once again available.

www.riflestock.com