Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 02:18   #126
Points: 3,056, Level: 34 Points: 3,056, Level: 34 Points: 3,056, Level: 34
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Yeah I am pumped to do the project. I am actively looking for a stock to review to make needed changes etc etc.... ANyone? I will start off I think by modifying the std wood stock to accept the folder and then probably make a stand alone unit...
Seesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:25   #127
Points: 11,446, Level: 70 Points: 11,446, Level: 70 Points: 11,446, Level: 70
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Seesm View Post
Yeah I am pumped to do the project. I am actively looking for a stock to review to make needed changes etc etc.... ANyone? I will start off I think by modifying the std wood stock to accept the folder and then probably make a stand alone unit...
I dont mean to be the naysayer cocksucker of the bunch, but what price point do you envision this to come out at?

I find it difficult to believe that with as much custom work, both metal and wood, as will be required to put something like this together, it will be available at a substantial savings off the original pieces you can still find for sale. factory folders are rare, but they can still be found.

dont get me wrong, I'm very curious to see what can be developed. but in looking at recent times when people have made a good run at building a solid product (not a pieced together "thing that'll work"), they've turned out to be more expensive than most would stomach as a "replacement part". ie front sight strap and good struts. quality products, just not real cheap compared to the original idea.
BuffDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:47   #128
Points: 5,440, Level: 47 Points: 5,440, Level: 47 Points: 5,440, Level: 47
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by BuffDragon View Post
I find it difficult to believe that with as much custom work, both metal and wood, as will be required to put something like this together, it will be available at a substantial savings off the original pieces you can still find for sale. factory folders are rare, but they can still be found.
I was worried about this too. He's completely right. The entire appeal of a newly-made wood folder is cost savings over the original, which goes for $250-350. The only way to bring the cost down is mass-production that it doesn't sound like you're set up for. I'm rooting for you all the way, but you might consider designing the 'product' to be a larger-scale production method/business model you could pitch to a bank. Unfortunately, you're gonna need to shoot for a $150-$200 final price tag.

I don't think you should experiment with a factory conventional wood stock. These do not provide the block plane behind the receiver necessary to house a decent joint, much less preserve the excellent aesthetic lines so loved in the factory folder. HOWEVER, the target thumbhole stock appears to have the necessary wood to work with, as do some other fancy aftermarket target stocks, even available unfinished.

Lastly, if you do proceed, please keep it simple, elegant and don't screw up the design with an adjustable-length stock, least of all the RETARDED "empty buffer tube" AR-style telestocks we're seeing on everything from muskets to frying pans these days. These are a goofy outgrowth of the American 'tacticool' mentality and hardly necessary, as explained by reputed German and Austrian rifle designers HK and Steyr.

Last edited by man-at-arms; 05-01-2009 at 12:51.
man-at-arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 14:18   #129
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by man-at-arms View Post
I was worried about this too. He's completely right. The entire appeal of a newly-made wood folder is cost savings over the original, which goes for $250-350. The only way to bring the cost down is mass-production that it doesn't sound like you're set up for. I'm rooting for you all the way, but you might consider designing the 'product' to be a larger-scale production method/business model you could pitch to a bank. Unfortunately, you're gonna need to shoot for a $150-$200 final price tag.

I don't think you should experiment with a factory conventional wood stock. These do not provide the block plane behind the receiver necessary to house a decent joint, much less preserve the excellent aesthetic lines so loved in the factory folder. HOWEVER, the target thumbhole stock appears to have the necessary wood to work with, as do some other fancy aftermarket target stocks, even available unfinished.

Lastly, if you do proceed, please keep it simple, elegant and don't screw up the design with an adjustable-length stock, least of all the RETARDED "empty buffer tube" AR-style telestocks we're seeing on everything from muskets to frying pans these days. These are a goofy outgrowth of the American 'tacticool' mentality and hardly necessary, as explained by reputed German and Austrian rifle designers HK and Steyr.

thanks. glad I'm not the only one thinking of this.

regarding "cheap" materials, such as poly/plastic that's much easier to produce, you get things that cannot compare to the original (ie butler creek, asi, et al...sorry....I'm not a fan). when you get in to very quality aftermarket stocks, you're either looking at wood non-folders or aluminum (which start at $500 a la the SCAR and go up). these are being massed produced too.

I just see this as a giant undertaking and a money pit. people bitch and complain about a factory folder (which is about as quality as you're going to get) being priced around $300. so obviously the price point would have to be signficantly under that.

dont get me wrong, I'm all for people striking out and trying to do something new, but sometimes you have to realize that you're going to lose your ass if you ever try to recover your money on ANYTHING "custom" made. that goes for rifles, parts, hot rods, boats, and wives
(that's the voice of experience, sadly)

just want the originator to keep that in mind.
Old 05-01-2009, 14:33   #130
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Last Achievements

...but sometimes you have to realize that you're going to lose your ass if you ever try to recover your money on ANYTHING "custom" made. that goes for rifles, parts, hot rods, boats, and wives.
If I could figure out how to custom make a wife, I'd allow my ass to get lost.

I think man-at-arms could be on the right track with the target stock. Does someone make them for Ruger? I did a quick google search and didn't come up with any. The thumbhole stocks have the same issue as the standard wood not having enough surface area behind the reciever. With the target stock, it looks like all you would have to do is cut the extension off. Notch the upper rear for the metal folding piece and shape the bottom and you've got your pistol grip. Can these be had in other than the gray laminate?
Mad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 19:18   #131
Points: 2,873, Level: 32 Points: 2,873, Level: 32 Points: 2,873, Level: 32
Last Achievements

I dont mean to be the naysayer cocksucker of the bunch, but what price point do you envision this to come out at?

dont get me wrong, I'm very curious to see what can be developed. but in looking at recent times when people have made a good run at building a solid product (not a pieced together "thing that'll work"), they've turned out to be more expensive than most would stomach as a "replacement part". ie front sight strap and good struts. quality products, just not real cheap compared to the original idea.
The one thing I've learned in life is don't ask a question if you think you may not like the answer. Example: Don't ever ask your boss if you're working late that night, if he forgot it's his fault for not saying and it may just give him an idea. I despise female coworkers for just that reason.

Let's allow him to figure out how to make this thing first and not try to discourage him with questions he has no answer to yet. If it ends up too much work he'll have a stock for himself and it will end there. If he can do the handwork in his basement and sell them for a small profit, awesome. If not, it was an interesting ride getting there.

Last edited by rugeruser; 05-01-2009 at 19:21.
rugeruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 22:49   #132
Last Achievements

Well I appreciate your imput and realistically YEs there are folders out there, but they are hard to find and few and far between. Agree or disagree I know this as true.

The folder I will do will come with a California legal (not DOJ approved) mag lock that will need a tool (also in the kit) to allow us to use them here in Ca.
Anyway I have a few ideas. This is pretty well thought out but need to look at one a fair bit closer.

I own a welding and fabrication shop so I am pretty confident I can do it right.

I bet I could make some money too. But having said that, I live my life on just doing stuff cuz I like it and the money follows me where I go.

A Mini-14 stock is not going to get me rich by any means. But if the done deal is sweet looking and ends up $250-300 retail I woudl be bummed as I woudl LIke to offer it to the masses. But I think people would still buy it.

Now mind you would the "Naysayer c*ck s*cker" buy it? Maybe no but maybe YES if he thought it cool or tacticool enough... YES he would!!

The way I do my business (motorcycles) now I do high end work and it is all American made so people will pay for that... I do not do it to make money I just do it and it usually works out...

So will I make a million of them? Probably not but I may do a limited run of 10-100 depending on how easy I can do them.... More if it is working out great!!

I am pretty crafty and have alot of great helpers at and around my shop so I am optimistic in all and everything I do.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:07   #133
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Seesm View Post

Now mind you would the "Naysayer c*ck s*cker" buy it? Maybe no but maybe YES if he thought it cool or tacticool enough... YES he would!!

to be clear, at present, I'm the owner of a high end aftermarket laminate stock, 2 factory folders, and a SCAR, so I'm about as much your "target customer" as anyone else on this board. I applaud your prospective efforts and look forward to your results.

but as you know in custom motorcycles, you can easily price yourself out of a market very quickly. so please keep that in mind should you start producing something for sale to the masses. a good friend of mine was an indian, then big dog (and others) dealer. he also did consignments for people. not surprisingly, the ultra customs had a hard time selling next to the tried and trues when price was the determining factor. again...I'm sure you know this.

at the end of the day, am I a potential customer? you bet.
but
ending price point will dictate number of sales, almost regardless of quality/utility/tacticool/etc of the product.
that's all I'm sayin
Old 05-02-2009, 13:25   #134
Last Achievements

Thanks!! I am thinking I can ride the fine line to quality and costs so I will go with that for now.

But if it costs too much we will at least see a few cools ones out there...

Minomum is 10 no matter what the cost and even if I am un-able to recoupe any monies back.
Old 05-04-2009, 15:55   #135
Points: 2,202, Level: 28 Points: 2,202, Level: 28 Points: 2,202, Level: 28
Last Achievements

SNIPERFOX
What is the model of your flash suppressor/ muzzle brake. Is it a secure fit? I have the same rifle and just ordered the John Masen. I am thinking about the Butler Creek too. Did the Butler creek fit or did you have to do a little modification? Your rifle looks great.
peter-simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:18   #136
Points: 6,246, Level: 51 Points: 6,246, Level: 51 Points: 6,246, Level: 51
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

The flash suppressor is the factory installed Ruger model that comes on the "Tactical" or GB model Ranch Rifle. It looks to be secure enough.
I had the Butler Creek stock on my 185 series Mini14 and just switched them over. No mods necessary for the transfer. If you are looking to install a Butler Creek folder on a SS Mini14 that has a synthetic stock, there are some parts that you will need to purchase for the conversion. The reinforcement Bracket can be purchased easily and so can those 2 side screws should you want them also. The Mini14 with a wood stock already has these parts installed and you can use them, but they weren't necessary in the factory synthetic stock.
LittleRon's Ranch Rifle Folder

"You cannot fulfill your dreams unless you dare to risk it all."

Last edited by Sniperfox; 05-05-2009 at 05:22.
Sniperfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 14:57   #137
Last Achievements

never did figure this out with him...
Old 07-08-2009, 03:42   #138
Points: 2,761, Level: 32 Points: 2,761, Level: 32 Points: 2,761, Level: 32
Last Achievements

I know I aked this already in another thread but only got one response. Between the BC and the ATI folding stocks which is more durable? I like the idea of a metal folding mechanism, not to sure about the ATI over time.

I know there are a few of you guys that have tried both.
johnlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 18:17   #139
Points: 4,758, Level: 44 Points: 4,758, Level: 44 Points: 4,758, Level: 44
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by quadfan View Post
I can't take credit for all the homework done for these posts, however, I have seen examples of these different stocks and the info is good.
NOTICE TO PROSPECTIVE BUYERS OF RUGER MINI 14 FACTORY FOLDING STOCK RIFLES - BUYER BEWARE!

This notice is to inform you that there has been an increase in the number of rifles for- sale that appear to look like, or may be offered as genuine ruger factory Wood folding stock models. The wording in the auctions can be very misleading. Know what you are getting, read the remainder of this to learn how to spot a factory original from a non-original add-on fake.

Ruger has made many mini14 rifles over the years, and there has been one distinguishing mark that shows a rifle came from the ruger factory with a folding stock. That mark is the location of the front sling swivel. The picture here shows the CORRECT location of the swivel on a FACTORY SUPPLIED folding stock rifle. If the rifle you are considering to buy has the swivel in the bottom position (see where arrow is pointing), it came from the factory with a standard full wood stock. Nothing, not even a factory folding stock can change that. Sometime during its existance, someone put a folding stock on it. This is fine if you know about it, but plays havock with the value of the item if you think you are getting an original factory manufactured collector piece instead of an add-on fake. Unfortunately, you can't count on the seller to inform you because he may not be aware of it himself. If you are wanting an authentic ruger folder, always make sure you can see the front sling swivel's location in any picture.

The ruger factory folding stock is unique, it is wood, and has a blued or stainless steel arm that folds to the right and a buttplate that folds down underneath parallel with the arm. (See the 2nd picture below) The stock always matches the rifle: - Blued rifle, blued stock. In the early years, only Ramline make a clone of the factory stock - its close but easy distinguishable to the knowledgeable observer. Ramline's later stocks as well as all of the other after market suppliers of folding stocks, Butler Creek, Choate, Federal Ordance are obviously non-factory as their appearance is completely different.

In conclusion, know your rifles and know your stocks. Learn to spot a true original from a fake, be an educated buyer. I hope that you found this information useful.
Please check the pictures below.

PICTURE 1:Side Swivel - This is the only position for the swivel on an original factory supplied side folding rifle. If the swivel is where the arrow is pointing - the bottom, the rifle came from the factory with a fixed straight stock.

No your info is not good. In fact, this is a very BS post. I own several GB folders including 2, one blued and the other SS, which have BOTTOM mounted swivels. Both are confirmed WITH LETTERS FROM RUGER that they left the factory as GB models with folding stocks. So you're full of it. Pretty irresponsible to post this trash. Get your facts straight before you post this BS.
37NAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 19:48   #140
Points: 8,009, Level: 60 Points: 8,009, Level: 60 Points: 8,009, Level: 60
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by johnlee View Post
I know I aked this already in another thread but only got one response. Between the BC and the ATI folding stocks which is more durable? I like the idea of a metal folding mechanism, not to sure about the ATI over time.

The folding pin and spring are metal on the ATI.
Old 07-20-2009, 17:08   #141
Registered Member
Points: 4,434, Level: 42 Points: 4,434, Level: 42 Points: 4,434, Level: 42
Last Achievements

thanks
I posted pic's some time ago but they are gone now.
Well the original folder is still around and doing just fine.
good job !!
Pirate
pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 14:15   #142
Points: 2,040, Level: 27 Points: 2,040, Level: 27 Points: 2,040, Level: 27
Last Achievements

Mini-14 bayonet lugs

Originally Posted by bud_E_lee View Post
Yeah it works fine i just messed up but now im looking for bayonet lugs for the mini any suggestions. Thanks
I once put an aftermarket bayo lug on my 181 Mini-14. It was a 2-pc., allen wrench, clamp-on. It was OK, but it interfered with installation of a bull-pup stock I wanted. When I tried to unclamp the lug I found the allen screws frozen. Try as I might all I could get the clamp to do was rub some blueing off the barrel as it turned around the barrel (NOT good). I ended up drilling out the allen screws to unclamp the thing and throwing it away. I suggest you NOT install a bayo lug. If you just HAVE to have a knife, buy an M-9 military bayonet/survival knife and wear it on your belt.
roguecop55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 16:39   #143
Points: 17,772, Level: 84 Points: 17,772, Level: 84 Points: 17,772, Level: 84
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%
Last Achievements

I looked around for sometime for a folding stock and did not like the Butler Creek ones with the wire stock. I ended up taking an ATI folding shotgun stock and cut off the stock of my Mini 14. About 1 hour later I had it mounted on my Mini 14 which I really like now. I shoot left handed so it actually fits me better although it is made for the right handed shooters. When folded out, it gives me about 3/4 inch more room to the left for cheek placement and a better sight alignment. I'll try to attach pictures of it. If you like doing it yourself, its pretty simple to do.
Attached Thumbnails
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 21:12   #144
Points: 2,934, Level: 33 Points: 2,934, Level: 33 Points: 2,934, Level: 33
Last Achievements

Here is my 197- Mini with the added ATI stock I got from Ruger for $109 at the time. The only thing I didnt like was that I wasnt able to use the side mounted scope adapter, but with the ATI stock I was able to clear the 40mm scope, BARELY haha.

wy_daveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:46   #145
Last Achievements

Folding stocks

Originally Posted by johnlee View Post

If you check out the www.galatiinternational.com website they have, not only both the Butler Creek and the ATI folding stocks, they ALSO have the new Tapco Intrafuse collapsible stock you might be interested in. The only advantage I can see, out of the 3 of them, is that the ATI stock not only folds, it collapses too. I have the Butler Creek stock on my stainless 30 simply because it was a little less expensive, I liked the all metal locking lug on the folder and less bulk. The BC runs about $94-$97, the Tapco about $130 and the ATI is$109-$129.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:42   #146
Registered Member
Points: 1,718, Level: 24 Points: 1,718, Level: 24 Points: 1,718, Level: 24
Last Achievements

RamLine Tactical Mini 14 Stock FSM 1411 preban

Hi all,

I put this stock on my Mini 14 years ago and now (yes I'm an idiot) I need to remove for sale and forgot how to do it. Haven't shot it for years because of restrictive laws in NJ. Can you refresh my memory?

Thank you.
alamarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:56   #147
Last Achievements

Stock removal

You have to remember to make sure the chamber is empty and the magazine has been removed (duh), take the safety off first, make sure the hammer has been dropped. Place a small screwdriver or other sturdy rod in the hole in the rear of the triggerguard and gently pry the back out of battery. This will unlock the trigger mechanism allowing you to remove it and then the rest of the upper receiver and barrel unit will drop out of the stock. If you're going to put another stock on you have to unscrew the screws on both sides of the stock that holds the trigger group guide in place and when that's removed the protective plate in the bottom of the foregrip area will slide off. You'er good to go.
Old 01-07-2010, 15:10   #148
gig
Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by roguecop55 View Post
You have to remember to make sure the chamber is empty and the magazine has been removed (duh), take the safety off first, make sure the hammer has been dropped.
It is my experience the hammer needs to be cocked and the safety set to safe before the trigger assembly will drop out.
Is this process different for this particular stock?
gig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 16:52   #149
Last Achievements

Mini-30 folding stocks

Without actually having my hands on the rifle and taking it apart as I write this, I might have been mistaken about cocking and setting the safety as you dismantle the trigger assembly. It shouldn't make any difference which stock you end up putting on your rifle, it assembles and disassemble the same as with the original stock. Remember, though, if you bought the Mini-30 in an original, Ruger synthetic stock, it doesn't have the stock liner and this part will be necessary for ALL aftermarket stocks.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:25   #150
gig
Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33
Last Achievements

alamarina,,,,,,,,here it is straight from the book. If you have lost the owners manual you can go to Ruger and download the appropriate manual for whichever firearm Ruger has ever made.

2. Pull the slide handle all the way
to the rear and release. Make
sure safety is “ON” (see Fig. 7).
NOTE: Hammer must be cocked
and safety must be “ON” to
accomplish disassembly and
reassembly.
Again, be sure

chamber is empty!
gig is offline   Reply With Quote