Perfect Union banner

parts kit list

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Beck 
#1 ·
I'm looking to put together a kit of parts for my 583 what in y'all's opinion would in your kit I'm starting with recoil springs
thanks

#2 ·
bubba, first of all, welcome to the forum from Central Virginia!

Not sure I can help you with a parts kit! I have a 181-series gun, built in 1977 and that I have owned since 1980, and there is NOTHING I have ever needed for it. It is built like a tank, as are the newer models.

If there was anything I might recommend, it would be 1911 buffers: not critical for operation, but make everything much more comfortable.

Others will join in, but you'll not need a rucksack full of repair parts for your Mini - one of the many appeals of the Mini.

#3 ·
For springs check https://www.gunsprings.com/.
Have a Mini 14 SS 183 purchased new in 1982.
Lots of ammo downrange couldn't even guess the number.
Never had a FTF or FTE, have had a spare recoil spring for 15 years.
Have never had to install it. Want to buy it?
Only consumables I have used in the past are buffers.
I know nothing about the 583's but I have not heard of any problems not caused
by tinkering by owners.

Reactions: Beck and RJF
#5 ·
Extractor, if that breaks you're out of action.
Same with the firing pin.
(If you shoot a steady diet of steel case, you'll be more likely to have to replace those two parts someday.)

Extractor plunger and spring, cause if you ever have to change out your extractor or firing pin, those little parts can launch out and get lost.

And a mag release and mag release spring, if those were to break, you'd have a single shot carbine.
All those are relatively inexpensive parts that should be kept on hand.
Larger springs like the hammer spring or recoil spring are pretty tough, and will last for decades. I can't see having to replace those during my lifetime.

I keep the above spare parts, along with basic cleaning gear, a couple spare batteries for the FastFire, and 3 Allens to fit the Ultimak and Tech sight, in one of those 20-30 round mag pouches that fit on the stock.
I don't keep the pouches on my Mini's every time I go to the range, but if I leave on an extended trip away from home, they go on the gun.

Oh yeah, a broken case removal tool. If a rim gets ripped off a case, and the remainder is stuck in the chamber, you'd have a heck of a time getting it out without the tool.
They can be had in 5.56mm or 7.62 x 39:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...emovers/broken-shell-extractor-prod23311.aspx

#6 ·
I have had to replace a few parts it wasn't Ruger's fault it was mine. I installed wolf HD op-rod spring it chewed up the bolt stop and made the bolt hard to release. When my 197 Mini14 Ranch rifle was new the trigger was like pulling a bumper off a truck. So I did a poor man's trigger job I heated the center of the hammer spring and ran sear dry to break in the trigger. It lasted ten years it lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. I replaced the hammer spring with an OEM spring and installed an MCarbo trigger spring. At the same time, I made a trigger shoe out of PVC pipe and greased up the sear. I guess you could call it a ten-year trigger job. All my old parts now live in my Ruger synthetic stock.

Here is a link for the MCarbo trigger spring 20.00 shipped and install video. https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-mini-14-mini-30-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

#8 ·
ASI has a Lightening Secondary Sear Spring like the MCarbo and it will save you a few bucks. It's half the price with the same shipping cost. I bought one years ago before I heard of MCarbo's version. It's the same thing... takes a pound or so off the trigger pull. Buy the one from ASI for half the price and learn how to install it from MCarbo's video. Either spring will do nicely. They really do work.

https://www.accuracystore.com/index.php#!/Lightening-Secondary-Sear-Spring-for-Mini-14-30-&-6-8/p/78474249/category=19934057

When I get time in the next day or two I'll get on here and list the contents of my spare parts kit. I've been swamped lately.

I've never had a part break on my 30-year-old Mini-30, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared in the event something should go wrong. Sandog pretty much covered it.

Reactions: sandog
#12 ·
Beck listed the usual sources. Some of the parts that Brownell's used to have all the time are now listed as discontinued. I'd try Gunpartscorp or Midway for ones that Brownell's no longer carries.

ASI sometimes has parts that other places don't have as they are a Ruger certified armorer. Like bolts, takeoff barrels, trigger groups, etc.
But expect to pay a high price if you get it from them.

Aftermarket firing pins from Glend Arms were brittle and didn't last long before breaking, but aftermarket pins from firingpins.com are good stuff.

#13 ·
Yeah, I would for sure avoid the Glend Arms aftermarket firing pin. But The firingpins.com pin (Formerly ironsightprecision.com) is as good, if not better than the Ruger original. The company is still officially Iron Sight Precision LLC out of Boynton Beach, Florida. They just changed the name of the website to be more intuitive.

One thing about the Glend Arms pin is I've read quite a few stories online of people not fitting or cutting them down at all, so they would naturally end up with bent or broken tips. Plus some people replaced the original hammer spring with the heavy Wolff spring at the same time they replaced the pin, leading to predictable disaster.

Those of us who know how to fit a Ruger Mini pin could probably get significantly more life out of a Glend Arms pin, but I still wouldn't chance it. If/when it did break I'm sure it would be at the most inopportune time.

The firingpins.com pin is the best option. It's machined as one piece from SAE 630 (17-4) stainless steel and heat treated. I bought two of them when they were a bit less expensive than they are now. One is in the bolt of my Mini-30 doing its thing, and the other is in my spare parts box.

Other spares I keep around include the following:

- Bolt Lock Plunger
- Bolt Lock Plunger Spring
- Bolt Lock Cover Plate
- Buffer Bushing
- Buffer Cross Pin
- Buffer Guide Rod
- Ejector
- Ejector Spring
- Extractor
- Extractor plunger
- Extractor spring
- Hammer spring (Not Wolff)
- Trigger spring
- Magazine Release, pin and spring
- Gas Pipe Piston
- Various Size Gas Bushings
- Extra Gas Block Allen Head Socket Cap Screws
- Standard Slide Assembly Spring (Not Wolff)
- Safety Assembly, Spring, and Pin
- All the springs, pivot pins and bushings in the trigger group

Most of the internal spare parts I bought are stainless, though my Mini-30 and all its original parts are blued.

gunpartscorp.com is AKA Numrich.

Another good source for Mini-14/30 rarities and oddities is natchezss.com. Their website is not very well organized, but if you have the time and patience you'll often find things there you won't find anywhere else.

Hope that helps

Reactions: tcsafety
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.