• 2 Post By Guerilla
  • 1 Post By firescout
  • 1 Post By tcsafety
  • 1 Post By firescout
  • 3 Post By firescout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 06:57   #1

Tuning gas system

So I finally got some time to tinker with my 5819, first 16" gun(mini) I've worked on. Did my standard procedure, and decided to swap out the gas bushing, as I've never had trouble doing so in the past for load development. Went to the range with 4 different proven loads and a .050" bushing installed, and it was wayyyy too small. Some loads, depending on position in the magazine, wound not even primary extract, some would FTE, some short stroke. I tried some factory 3,240 fps ammo...and same thing. My buddy was there with an unmodded 18" gun and my hand loads worked great. Problem is, .050" is ASI's largest bushing in mini 14 kit, so now I'm digging through my mini 30 stuff. My point being, that in this case, a 16" barrel does not have enough dwell time past the gas port to generate sufficient pressure to operate the action with a .050" bushing.Back to the range today with a mini 30 .065". I'll keep you gents updated.....

One thing I forgot to mention, std bushing was .100" and gas port itself is .065", so think that over for a minute.......
Guerilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:14   #2

It may depend on round count too, as the gun wears in it will get smoother to operate and easier to cycle. After you fire a 1000 rds or so the smaller bushing may work fine.
Guerilla likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:11   #3
RJF

Guerilla, Hadaway (a forum member) makes several sets of bushings, as well as a set specifically for a Tactical model. Seems the set starts out at .070 and works down from there. My stock 583 Mini-14 Tactical ejects brass about 10-12' from a standing position: far less than the ranch model with the 18" barrel.

PM him or e-mail him and he'll set you up.

Check this thread:
Mini 14 & 30 Gas Bushings are ready to ship!!!
Guerilla likes this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2017, 09:14   #4

Hey Guerilla...I did "think that over for a minute". In fact I've thought about the rather large disparity between the sizes of the Mini's gas port and it's gas bushing in the past.

just as a point of interest, my (582) 5801 came from the factory with a .070 barrel port. I don't claim to be any sort of engineer, but going from that, it seems to me that Ruger went the wrong direction when they decided to drill the gas port in your shorter barreled model smaller. Or perhaps drilling it smaller was not by design, but the result of using a worn bit which had been re-sharpened too many times. I've seen that sort of thing a lot in regards to production facilities.

At any rate, I agree with you in that decreased dwell time would seem to necessitate increased gas flow in order to maintain reliability.
Hopefully, the .065 bushing which you installed will solve your problem. If not, it may turn out that you've been working on the wrong end of the mule, so to speak.

DGW
Guerilla likes this.
DGW1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 15:34   #5

Hey Gents, got back a bit ago, she ran fine with the .065" bushing, factory ammo ejected about 5 yards, reloads about 3-4 yards depending on load. The lightest load I had, 23.5 gr IMR 4895, ejected 2-3 yards, depending on position in magazine, so I may try the .060" bushing. All cases were in typical mini fanned ejection pattern and had a very small ding from OP rod. Once I grind a radius in OP rod hump, it should all but eliminate case dings and improve ejection pattern. So I guess you guys with 16" guns may want to go with the mini 30 bushing kit On a side note, I bought that Target rifle I was talking about in another thread she's off to the chop shop tomorrow. Factory barrel is 21 1/4", I can cut the corkscrew threads off and still have an 18" semi-heavy barrel, 19.5-20" with QD suppressor flash hider. I'll put it in an ASI Anschutz walnut stock. I'm pretty giddy about this project
RJF and tcsafety like this.
Guerilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 21:05   #6

Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
...All cases were in typical mini fanned ejection pattern and had a very small ding from OP rod. Once I grind a radius in OP rod hump, it should all but eliminate case dings and improve ejection pattern...
In addition to a reduced gas port bushing, I also radiused the forward/top edges of my rifle's 'hump'. No more marks/dings on the cases.
tcsafety likes this.
firescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:13   #7

Originally Posted by firescout View Post
In addition to a reduced gas port bushing, I also radiused the forward/top edges of my rifle's 'hump'. No more marks/dings on the cases.
For us greenhorns, do you have any pics/instructions on doing this? Or a link? Thx.
RJF likes this.
tcsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:13   #8

Originally Posted by tcsafety View Post
For us greenhorns, do you have any pics/instructions on doing this? Or a link? Thx.
I'll try for some photos tonight.
RJF likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 17:41   #9

Originally Posted by tcsafety View Post
Here's a photo of the areas on my slide 'hump' that I radiused off with a fine single cut file, then burnished with a #600 ceramic stone. After this pic, I used a few applications of Birchwood Casey Super Blue cold bluing to blend it in to the factory finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Tuning gas system-image.jpg  
tri70, tcsafety and Fatelvis like this.