Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Shoot at a Private Membership Range with Dues

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Shoot at a Private Membership Range with Dues and Workbond

Votes: 2 4.4%

Where Do You Shoot Your Mini

3K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  lrlouie 
#1 ·
Unlike those fortunate few who have their own ranges, most of us have to drive to an area to shoot or are members of a club. Where do you shoot? If you belong to a club, how much are dues? Do you also have Workbonds?

While we have a great private range, it comes with dues and workbond requirements that lower the dues. Currently, our dues are $100/yr which can be reduced to $50/yr with 6hrs a year of Workbond. With over 1,100 members, we have a lot of help so the workbond requirements are small.

Further, we have a requirement for a trained RSO at the range whenever it's open so we've trained about 140 RSOs. I was in the 1st group and act as RSO frequently to help the range as I'm retired.

#2 ·
Steve, I can't vote in this poll, but the closest category would be "Have Your Own Range". I don't, just acres and acres of unused (but mowed) pastures - nothing formal that could be called a "range" - I kind of spread the lead around...Kind of the fun way to core-aerate.:)

When shooting paper for zeroing or pistol practice, I use a portable lash-up that is easy to carry, set up, take down, etc. They cost about $3.00 each to build out of 1/2" PVC pipe. Mine are made so that horse bedding bags slip over the top - something I have plenty of. I don't glue the junctions - makes it easier to transport and also easier to replace a piece (they don't hold up well to a hit from a 9mm).

My next door neighbor a "range" he set up and has offered its use whenever I like, but much more than about 50 yards distance, his house winds up being forward of the fire-line. He uses it mostly for pistol practice; his SIL is quite an avid CQB shooter.

Good poll, though, and should be very informative.

Attachments

#4 ·
I have my own range that my buddies and I built at the back of my horse pasture. I use that mostly but I'm part of a big shooting group that meets and trains twice a month also. It really puts my range to shame, but when you have 30 guys it gets pretty crowded. I tried public ranges and decided I'd just rather have my own haha.

#5 ·
I zeroed my Mini in my neighbors back yard. He lives on 2 acres surrounded by timber in all directions as do I. After absolute zeroing at 100 yards my Mini sets beside me on my front porch loaded with varmint loads waiting for a critter such as a ground hog to show itself.
Occasionally I'll either tack a target to a stump or if my neighbor has something he wants to zero I'll shoot a few rounds to check zero.

I did not vote in your poll

#7 ·
Ya, how I dream about that^^^^^^^^^^maybe in a couple years after retirement.

Private membership range. Been a member over 30 years. Used to be surrounded by acres of woods. I'm sure the club had a chance to buy all the land 50 years ago for pennies on the acre. They never bothered and a developer snapped it up about 15 years ago. Row of condos about 30 yards behind the outdoor firing line. Hilarious!!!! The buyers knew what they were buying. Yes, you guessed it....once they got in they then tried to shut the range down. Big membership with over 3500 members, so lots of money to fight. We had to have the NRA come in and design state of the art safety measures but still here. Unbelievably there are quite a few ranges in the area for a Metro.

#10 ·
Private range for me. About a 20 minute drive to the property. We have target stands at 50, 75, 100, 150, 200 and 250. Steel plates from 150 out and a nice pistol shed with target stand at 25. The property is 230 wooded acres with a pond, canoes, fishing, hiking trails and limited bow hunting. Only around 350 members and I pay $200 per year. I enjoy the solitude of walking around out there as much as the range.

#11 ·
I'm another of the fortunate ones.

160 acres of terraced farm land with a nice tank dam that extends about 20 yards past the pond. Perfect backstop.

We set targets up about 15 yards in front of the tank dam, then back up as far as we'd like. I haven't lasered the furthest point yet, but my guess is approximately 225-250 yards.

#13 ·
Another one of the "lucky ones" I guess.:) At this time I've got about 150 yds of golf green just to the side of our house. It's a gift and I do not take it for granted. :cool:I really enjoy sharing with friends. There's another 100+yds available to the back of our rock wall but at present it's heavily wooded and last season I hunted it. The deer didn't show up until the season was over then they were all over the orchard. I'll get more of it cleared out later.

C/D:usa::sniper:

#14 ·
.....Where do you shoot? If you belong to a club, how much are dues? Do you also have Workbonds?

While we have a great private range, it comes with dues and workbond requirements that lower the dues. Currently, our dues are $100/yr which can be reduced to $50/yr with 6hrs a year of Workbond. With over 1,100 members, we have a lot of help so the workbond requirements are small.

Further, we have a requirement for a trained RSO at the range whenever it's open so we've trained about 140 RSOs. .....
What type of facilities are available at your club?

I shoot at a private club. There are three ranges, 50 & 100 yrd, and 25 yrd pistol. We have about 1,100 members. Our dues are under $20. year. We have work day parties, served with lunch. Small pond with fishing, shotgun field, picnic grove and old woods. Nice and family.

Our ranges are restricted for members only. The Club has posted rules, and the members have fun. There are no formal range officers. Should the range need work or a repair the members simply fix the issue.

I use the range during the mid week. I almost always shoot alone at the range.

It's a rod and gun hunting club with some younger fresh members. Bedrock of America. You know the type.

And since the weather has been mild I've been out to the 100 y again with my latest handloads since my last posting of target results. ....... ?!

#19 ·
Like you, our range is private and we have a Pistol House with 10 stations and up to 50yd shooting, a 100yd range with 12 stations, 100yd plinking area, 100yd running deer rails, 200/300yd range with 10 stations, a shotgun range with high and low house for trap and skeet with 8 stations, a hand throw shotgun area, 2 archery target areas by the range and a remote area with 2 walking archery ranges and a mannequin archery range. We also have some lose plans for a 400yd range but it's not built yet. It is available to be opened by a volunteer RSO from ½ hour before sunrise to 10pm, however, the range is closed to members from 7am-4pm M-TH and every other 'on' Friday as mandated by the Corporation lawyers some years ago after a shooting at one of the corporate facilities in another state (no connection to our facility or our club) and very unpopular with the club, especially us retired folks.

The Range area is on Corporation land so our club is part of the Corporate Recreation Activities, a Hunting and Fishing Club and must adhere to dictates by the Corporation as it's the only range. As such, the Lawyers have a say in our bylaws and so we have a volunteer NRA trained RSO on duty when the range is open and the 1st person at each range acts as an RO for that range. While it sounds like a lot of oversight, the atmosphere is very relaxed, however, the club is fanatical about safety so the main focus of the ROs is coordinating cease fires as well as the safe handling of weapons and that no one touches any weapons while anyone is down range.

Lots of groups within the club as we have club owned boats for fishing, shooting groups, hunting groups, handloading, etc., etc. We even have bow hunting of deer and elk on some of the 5,000 acre property around the facility located in the foothills southwest of Denver. We have NRA trained instructors for just about every hunter program as well as home defense and CCW classes. Groups within the club hold regular CMP shoots and we have Practical Pistol, Ladies Pistol, 3-Gun, USPSA competitions, CASS shoots, and just about any group you can think of involving firearms use except machine guns which are not allowed on the range.

As a part of the community relations program of the Corporation, our range is available during the business day to organizations for their organized training and used regularly by Denver SWAT, CO State Police, and a dozen local LEOs. Further, we open the range often on weekends to the Boy and Girl Scouts as well as other organizations teaching young people the safe use of firearms as well as open days to allow people to come in to sight in their rifles before hunting seasons, all at no cost and with a ton of NRA trained volunteers from our club.

RSO duty is counted as workbond hours and minimum of 6 hrs per year are required to keep your RSO badge. It's a great way of supporting the club and staying in touch with old friends so I volunteer for a few hrs as RSO a number of times during the year. The advantage of the RSO badge is that if the range is not open, you as an RSO can open it and shoot by yourself or with a group you invite. Many afternoons when one of our clubs is using the pistol house or shotgun range, the rest of the range is empty and I'll drop by and shoot alone at my favorite, the 200/300yd range.

#15 ·
Well, there's really two places I shoot...

We have a small ranch at the inlaw's place. Just enough room to shoot and need occasional pig/varmint removal.

Locally, I went to visit a range once and instead of charging me they put me to work. Been there darn near every weekend since. They paid my NRA/RSO training--working on my pistol instructor before summer. Usually it's public on the weekends, daily fee of $10. Members can buy in for weekday access. At least one NRA cert'd RSO must be on the property anytime folks are shooting per insurance requirements.

Maintenance is a crew driven deal, but most is handled by myself and another manager. We're crippled, so we have all week to fix what needs fixin'. Sometimes it takes us that long too, lol. Our other RSO's work at least one day a month in exchange for full membership privileges. Minimal pay, but the benefits are awesome. Public gets standard 100yd rifle line, 20yd pistol, no shotguns. Private gets shotguns and a shooting lane that'll go 425yd as well.

#16 ·
Free public land is the closest to what I have, which is an old gravel pit. It's been a regular shooting spot for locals for decades now. Out to 200 yards is pretty easy, and 300 yards max with a little work. I also occasionally shoot on land of friends/relatives who live of farms. The latter is how I grew up. Been shooting since about 10 years old, starting with my dad taking me out to farms of friends with a Winchester Model 180 22 rifle, which I still own. Lots of good memories in that firearm... fun times with my late father I will always treasure.

#18 ·
Your poll wouldn't accept two posts so I voted for "Have own range", but I have to explain a bit further. Our family owns enough land that we are able to maintain our own 100 yard private shooting range (5 minutes from our home). We also belong to a private hunting and shooting range that has ranges out to 300 yards (30 minutes from our home). Most of our shooting is done at 100 yards, or shorter, but it's fun to be able to shoot out to 300 yards once in a while.

#20 · (Edited)
There is a place about a mile from the cabin which is used by many for target practice, it is forest service but someone put a semi permanent bench and target backers out there. Also, from time to time I'll take a few shots when out on the ATV.
Misfire is correct, 'Pack it in, pack it out'. As I've mentioned here before, my attitude is 'I shouldn't have to pick up trash after others but I'm willing too'.
I seen others who shake there heads and make comment about others leaving trash behind and then walk away. I would implore all members to shake their heads, make comments then start picking the stuff up.

1st Marine division, 3rd Marines

#21 ·
My club has a 0-25 yard pistol range, 0-50 yard pistol range, a 0-100 meter general purpose range, a shotgun trap range, and a 30 shooting position 50-300 yard high powered rifle range. All ranges have RSO's on them whenever they are open. It is a well organized very safe place to shoot. Dues are $100 a year and everyone is welcome to join. Once you pay your dues shooting is free except trap is $6 a round. Ranges are closed for maintenance sometimes or if there is a match going on. We have all kinds of matches if that's your thing. CMP, Scheutzenguilde, Palma, Silhouette, old time Cowboy stuff where folks dress up in period costumes and compete, NRA Pistol, and many more. We have NRA programs for youngsters to introduce them to proper firearms handling and shooting as well as Women On Target. The Military and local Law Enforcement also use our ranges for training on a regular basis.
Just about all of our RSO's are retired Military or retired Law enforcement. They do a great job keeping things running smoothly and safely. One of the RSO's on the Trap range is a former Olympic Gold Medalist. He will give you one on one instruction almost anytime you ask him for free.
All of that being said, I still love to go out to the Desert and have fun too whenever I can.

Robert

#22 ·
I am a life member at two ranges in Central WI. I am also a member of a range that charges $350 per year with the option of reducing the fee by $100. Each work day at the range is worth $25. The jobs vary. I just sorted a years worth of brass from the indoor range for one of my work days. I have bad knees so I can not do the outside work days that require physical activity.
I also have a 25 yard range in my back yard and a range on my tree farm that goes out to 400 yards.
So I have plenty of places to shoot. I try and take a guest to each range session so that they can set the targets down range and save me having to walk there and back. As my guest gets a free day at the range, I never get any complaints from them. They all know I am going to ask them to do the walking involved in the target session. On my land, I can drive down to the backstops, so that is one place I can practice on my own.

#23 ·
Private land I hunt on too can shoot out to 200 yds or close as I want. I would rather sight in and hunt tho.

#26 ·
Where do you shoot your mini

I have my own range with berms and steel gongs at all ranges from 25 yards to 900 yds.Last year I put up a 2 level shooting stand with benchs and a gun rack. I got tired of packing all my gear up the ladder so I put a small elevator powered by one of those inexpensive harbor freight 2000 lb winches. It's been too cold and windy to do too much shooting this winter so I will probably put some plywood walls on it and a small propane heater for next winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.