Perfect Union banner

opinons on red dot open optics?

9K views 48 replies 35 participants last post by  Infantry172 
#1 ·
I want to install an open optic on my Mini-30 mainly for quick target acquisition. I know the useable range is going to be shorter than the scope style, but distance over 100 yards is not important. I need to be able to keep something like a coyote or wild dog in the sights while on the run. I've looked at TruGlo, Sight Mark, Reflex and others. Any opinons on any particular brand to choose or avoid?

See less See more
#36 ·
I have a Millet SP red dot mounted over the reciever using Weaver rings and custom ring mounts made from picatinny rail stock (It's a 183 series, and I hate that B-Square contraption). It "looks right". So far, I've only tried it at 25 yds (indoor range), but let me tell you, it's fast! I really like it, and need to take it to 100 yards and see what it does. The Millet SP has a 30 mm tube and goes down to a 3 moa dot, which is why I got it.

#37 ·
Thanks guys, but it doesn't seem that there is a good consensus on what does and does not work well on a mini. However I did get some input on what not to buy. Guess I'll keep looking for a while.

Reactions: Lemur Man
#45 · (Edited)
There is definitely a consensus here as this question comes up about every other week.

I have 7 Bushnell TRS-25's on Mini 14, AR, Su16, Ruger Scout.308, Ruger Guide Gun .30-06, KT sub 2000, and Mossberg 500. Some have hundreds of rounds thru,,, mainly the .223 guns and the .30 cals. The shotgun only has about 50 thru it as it was recently done. The Sub2000 is still being mounted but it doesn't have enough recoil to move the sight in any event anyway.

None of these sights has ever moved or shifted zero. None have ever failed to function correctly in any fashion. I would not have 7 of these if they didn't work.

You can't go wrong with one of these sights. If something does happen you send it back to Bushnell and they will fix it or replace it. I personally have not had anything but Shear Joy happen. They are that good!

The Bushnell TRS-25 is the best value for your Red Dot Dollar out there and they are worth way more than the $60-90 you'll pay for one.

The fact that they only cost as much as they do is just Bushnell passing on the savings to the consumer. I think they would still sell nearly as well at $200. This sight has the highest and best reviews of any optical sight on all of the Major Retailer's Websites and when you are seeing 4.8 stars with 500+ reviews on multiple sites, you can pretty much figure the product is gonna work right.

Considering that the Aimpoint is $600, I don't see them being able to truly justify the MSRP at the civilian consumers level, and certainly the average shooter can't justify the price as "value in use." Unless you are using it Militarily or shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds a year I doubt you can logically justify a $600 purchase over a $100 purchase that does exactly the same thing just as well.

Another way to look at it is the fact that you can buy 6 TRS-25's for the price of one Aimpoint. That way you'd have plenty of backups should the unexpected happen! I doubt anyone has a $600 Aimpoint for a backup.

The Aimpoint and the TRS-25 are basically the same product and have close to the same number of parts. How can one cost 6X the other? Simple,,, The Military buys them! The military pays way more than it should for every single thing it buys.

In business there is no "Military Discount" to the Military,,, simply due to the paperwork and BS you have to go thru to sell to the Govt.

What there is,,, is about a 2-3X markup on everything to put up with the BS.

I do it every day!

Randy

Attachments

#38 ·
I updated to the Burris fastfire III. I put a Streamlight trl1 Game Spotter on it also and tried it out this week. What an awesome set up for night calling. Super bright green beam, can make out coyotes at 200 yards and eyes out at 400. The burris fits my package, can dim it low enough for night use yet plenty bright on a sunny day.

#40 ·
op, I would bypass all the budget optics you listed for the simple fact that a mini will eat them. For budget the trs-25 is as low as you want to go on a mini. The primary arms, bushnell, halo sun, and the vortex are all great for the price Chinese optics. They also may not live forever on a mini unless it has been buffered and degassed, but they have a greater chance than a truglo, sightmark, reflex. For the real deal get an aimpoint buy once cry once. You can move it to your next mini.

#41 ·
Just out of curiosity I took my Fastfire III off my Mini and installed the Truglo on it from my 10/22. I've run 500 rounds thru it and it's excellent. Easy accurate adjustments and It's held zero and the adjustible reticles and brightness works very well in low light and bright sunlight. So far it's held up very well. It does sit a little higher than the Fastfire III though, but I actually prefer the Truglo due to the different reticles and colors (green or red dot).

#44 ·

I use a 1990's vintage Tasco Accu-Dot shotgun scope. It is all metal and has a 30mm tube and about a 2 or 3 MOA dot. I have it mounted in Ruger factory steel 30mm rings. I can hit pop cans easily at 100 yards from a casual rest, or off-hand with monotonous regularity at 50 yards. I first got into the Tasco Accu-Dot and Pro-Point scopes in the mid-west where the are the pick of the deer hunters (who must shotguns). They are compact, light weight, tough, impervious to bad weather, and take recoil from 3.5" 12 gauge slugs! I have a Tasco Pro-Point Plus with a 35mm tube on my Mid-Length AR build.

#46 ·
Not to jump in the fan boy band wagon , but I totally agree with Randy on this one . I bought my 1st one about 2 yrs ago and put it on my mini. Last year I bought another when they were on sale , think I paid 55.00 for it . I just took it out of the safe and put it on the wifes 10/22. As soon as they go back on sale I'll buy another , there awesome little red dots and bullitt proof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.