Perfect Union banner

Help me find a stock!

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  James T. Kirk 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been away from this site for awhile, but I dug my Mini out not long ago and took it out to the range - and remembered why I actually love it so much. I'm sure you know all the reasons.

But, I also remembered something I don't like about mine - the weight. It's a brick. I know the weight helps it shoot nice, but, I'd love to trim some weight off of it. I started by getting rid of the Millet boat anchor and rail, and went back to the Ruger mounts and a lighter scope. Even that change was terrific, but I want more. Suggestions?

One thing I would consider is a new stock - it's currently in an ATI strike force, which is also a boat anchor. Can anyone suggest a "tactical" stock that is light and handy. I've had this rifle in a Choate pistol grip stock, but the LOP was too long. I switched to the ATI for the pistol grip, and until now was willing to live with the weight, but, now I'd like to find something lighter - preferably a pistol grip, but not necessarily. Compact, light and a shorter LOP.

Any suggestions?

#7 ·
I think a Butler Creek or the Ruger factory synthetic would be among the lightest. Lighter yet would be a BC Folder or if someone made a wire type non folder like the Ace "Boom Tube" stock for the AR. I like the Hogue, the little raised rubber "bumps" will give the best grip if your hands are wet, sweaty, or god forbid, bloody. But the Hogue does weigh a little more than other synthetics. It does have a substantial feel to it, though. L.O.P. is a bit longer and it is thicker, so end result is something that feels more M-1A like than "Mattel" like.

#9 ·
Right on. Good for you, D Thompson. I never was a fan of the" tactical" stockson the Mini..If you want something that looks and feels like an AR, might as well just get an AR instead. Part of the appeal of the Mini is it's not like an AR. A friend, who is somewhat of a dufus, has a Mini -30 that is a jam-a-matic due to the crappy, no name 30 round magazines he uses, and he's lucky too get a 5 inch group with it at 100 yards. I suggested he put on an strut and get some good factory magazines, but he bought a Tapco stock instead. It is fugly, but worse is the rattly buttstock and sharp edges all over it. It is as ergonomic as trying to aim a Hoover vacuum cleaner. As Bill Engvall says, " You can't fix stupid".

#10 ·
My Mini came with the tactical stock. Its a 5847 model, the length of pull is a tad short, all though the stock is very light. I will have to agree with sandog, if you want something that looks and feels like an AR then get an AR. With that said the Hogue stock is a great improvement over the syn stock that Ruger sells. Some people complain about the Hogue stock being sticky at the butt and catching there clothes.

It didn't take me long to figure out how to shoulder my rifle with the Hogue stock. The butt stock thing does not bother me at all. The Hogue performs very well, it gives the gun a real soild feel and the grip is great.

I feel that the Hogue is truly a quality up grade to the mini platform. It comes down to what people like. I like the OD green , I like the feel , I like the function , and I liked the price.

#15 ·
Ive tried several stocks, and I just dont think its possible to do much better than a factory synthetic. I don't like the hogues, like all aftermarket, there are fitting problems with lots of mini's, mine being one. The ATI was the worst thing Ruger ever did to the mini, maybe tied with the curved plastic buttplate. I like the new wood stocks with the straightcut butt, and thin rubber pad, but then again I like my mini not looking like an AR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.