Perfect Union banner

What's OK to ship with the barreled action when cryo treating?

Accurizing 
Tags
cryo
2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  dh1633pm 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to send off a barreled action for cryo treatment and am wondering what is OK and not OK to leave in the package for treatment. I will remove the stock, trigger assembly, recoil buffer and optics.

What about the op-rod, return spring & bolt?

OK to leave the rear sight on (it's a 582 series SSRR)?

Will cryo affect all the blue Loctite I have on the muzzle brake & Accu-Strut?

I don't want to screw anything up but I'd like to get treated whatever is going to benefit from it.

#2 ·
That's something I have been thinking of doing. I was going to strip everything of and just send barrel and receiver. I don't think the rear sight will benefit from being cryoed, don't know about the op rod though. Where are you sending your stuff and how much will it cost? If you don't mind me asking.

#5 ·
I've heard of this but haven't really gotten into it enough to really know what it's all about. What benefits are you looking to get?

#6 ·
Well, I looked it up and answered my question.

Please make sure to give us a follow up and tell of your results. Put all the details in too, I may be interested in trying this myself.

#7 ·
I left on metal attachments (Accu-Strut), brakes and copper wired in the bolts. I took out the op-rod & return spring assembly. It was about 50 bucks shipping (standard slow boat to china +$1500 insurance) for 3 barrels. $212 for treatment, insurance & return shipping. Looks like it's gonna be a couple weeks turn around (slow shipping). Priority mail was gonna be significantly more expensive.

#9 ·
300 Below. It was a close decision between them and Diversified Cryogenics. Both were very informative & helpful.

#11 ·
The post office has rigid cardboard mailers 3"X3"X36" ($3.99) that fit the barreled actions perfectly. I wrapped rags, string & newspaper around mine, taped the boxes shut and put them in another larger box. PITA but you could throw them against a wall and not worry.

#12 ·
Do they allow the actions/barrels to return to room temperature in a dry air environment? If not, water will condense on the cold parts. If your rifle is blued, it may rust from that water, unless very well oiled.

After the ice that will have formed melts, you will have a wet gun. That is; unless it is kept in a chamber with an RH of ZERO. until it is back at room temp.

#13 ·
They've done about 250,000 barrels so far so I am assuming they have figured out how to prevent rusting. I'm more worried about the USPS or UPS getting them wet.

Reactions: Mike Fletcher
#16 ·
I sent off my barrel with the gas block and muzzle brake still on it. I also sent the bolt, locking lug, op rod, accustrut and recoil spring in a separate zip loc bag. I'm expecting my stuff back this week. I also used 300 Below. My gun is a stainless but in my research I found that stainless steel also has a lot of carbon in it so it will benefit from the martensite conversion like other high carbon steels or other alloys would.

Regarding the moisture thing, I was told that this is a dry process. They just use liquid nitrogen to get the -300F. The parts are brought back to room temperature slowly so moisture should not be a problem.

There is another new spin off cryo industry and that is cryo tooling. Tooling of parts at room temperature causes various problems so companies are starting to develop machining tools that have liquid nitrogen injection in them.

#17 ·
Thanks Hottarod. Also razor blades. I have been using the same blade for about three weeks with no ill effect. Meaning the skin on my face is still there and not nicked up. The blade still has that sweet smooth feel to it. See my comment from 02/25 when i just got the blade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.