Perfect Union banner

Moving front sight

Question 
3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  fmj50 
#1 ·
Hi every one, I need some help,
I found that my front sight is off few degrees on my mini 30 ( 582 series ) . I placed level on receiver and front sight , that's how I found that it was off. also when adjusting for windage I had to move a lot to right.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME OR TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!:(

#2 ·
Did you do a search for "canted front sight?" It seems like I remember a few threads on this before. I think Ruger will correct this if you send it in to them. Call them - worst they can do is say "no."

#3 ·
The first thing that came to my mind, has the barrel turned slightly in the receiver.

As the front sight is pinned, I would think the correction would involve moving the front sight far enough toward the receiver to be able to drill new pin holes.

#4 ·
I think there was a bad batch of receivers or barrels. I think I remember a few people sending their rifles in and having them fixed - it corrected the windage adjustment problem. I have a 197 with a perfectly plumb front sight the width of a buick, so the problem didn't apply to me. That's why my memory is hazy.

#6 ·
From what I read, it's alot like fixing a canted site on an ak.

I'm not so sure on the mini, but what I did with my ak was to use a pipe fitting tool I got from lowes with 3 holes, taped behind the site with electrical tape to save the barrel from scratches, the used a gear puller to press the site off... I put a piece of scrap steel over the tip of the barrel to make the gear puller work.

When I pressed the site back on, I lubed the barrel a little with case lube and took a quarter inch threaded rod with pieces of duck tape around it to protect the inside of the barrel. I then used a few washers and double nutted the breach side and a proper sized socket, few washers and another nut on the front site side to press the site back on. Nice and slow to get it straight.

Drill and re-pin and your done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.