Perfect Union banner

Just in case of a Zombie Apocalypse

4K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  dglockster 
#1 ·
Howsit PU Crowd

I edc a large frame auto, but when my my daughter travels with me and my wife, I always take a long gun with. Used to be my Mav 88, but since my
Mini14 arrived, its taken over that duty. Like usual my wife asked "Why are you taking your long gun with" and like usual I said "Just in case of a Zombie Apocalypse"
This morning I almost needed to engage poaching feral dogs, and just realized how vital such a gun is.
Imagine being miles away from home and civil unrest, red dawn, service delivery protests or a Zombie Apocalypse erupts. Imagine being without a long gun miles away from home. Now add to that you have to fend for yourself and your wife and your 19 month old BABY DAUGHTER.
I got goosebumps and a hollow pit in my stomach!!!!!

Being defenseless and not being able to defend your own!!! (hand gun can only do so much)

Call me paranoid etc etc. My Mini 14 will travel with me and my family on ALL our ventures in life, cause I dont want to ever in my life say " If only I did....."

See less See more
#10 ·
howsit guys. ja, my kid is the most important, thanks for your input usnret, the plan is to get out of dodge by backroads and escape and evade. the kevlar i have been thinking about getting a 1.5x2.0m kev blanket made. if shtf, cover them both up at once kinda thing. sub, thet call it noodweer, protect yourself by any means. look , if a cop stops me it aint gonna be, hey just in case your brother cousin starts chucking stones at us. more like i am going hunting etc etc.

#13 ·
Well, USNRET, if you havent realized by now that my whole life revolves around my family, well mate, phew, it does.

I want to go the blanket way, being shot in the foot and not getting immediate attention can be just as dangerous as any artery shot. Blanket cover both completly and drive like a banshee to get out of dodge.

#17 ·
usnret, i agree one hundred percent. what would you suggest? the plan is to always keep moving and being as mobile as possible. i drive either a bakkie(pick up) or a small car. neither has any armour etcetc. in my perspective its the best i can do. i am very religious, and fear none, cause i know the ALMIGHTY watches over my family with a bared sword, but still me as a dad has got to do the most i can. reckon a kev blanket is the best for this app. unless anybody got a better idea?

#19 ·
no offence to whofarted at all. i do have an idea of armour, but thanks for the links. in a moving vehicle blunt trauma and knives are the lessor of the threats. reckon potshots and a stone here and there might be more of a problem. escape and evade is more of the plan and only if running aint an option do i reckon knives and blunt trauma comes into effect. hopefully i am being overzealous, and none of this discussion ever becomes neccesary.

#22 ·
My blunt trauma comment was totally in reference to ammo. My point was if a round caught by a IIIA vest can break a grown mans ribs(or worse) can you imagine what it would do to a small child...

Oh and btw.. I rarely take anything offensively and I wont even leave Southern California theres no chance in hell would you'll ever get me to Africa.

Reactions: DeLaRey
#24 ·
Does the Mrs. EDC? If not, why not?
Once I learned all of the firearms courses of my department, I tested my teaching skills by putting Lara through the same courses. Well, not ALL of them; the M4 and MP5 courses will have to wait until I retire to a full auto state. Little wonder Mrs. El prefers the revolver and the railed AR. She liked the Mini less because at the time the 581+ series weren't out yet and I only had a 186 series to train with.

With the most recent data, there's a hair's difference between the best modern hollowpoints available for service pistols, regardless of caliber.

For the last 20 years I've been carrying a S+W 5946 with the magazine disconnect factory disabled per NYPD specs. Since about 1998 I've carried issued Gold Dot 124gr +P hollowpoints.
My backup gun has been a snubbie 640. Since 2006 the service ammo from the department has been Gold Dot 135gr +P hollowpoints (short barrel load).

When I worked at the Outdoor Range and was qualified with rifles, I was issued Federal TRU, the 55gr Gameking BTHPs.
Is there better ammo for a 9MM or a .38 or .223? Maybe, but I can't complain about the price.

#28 ·
Jo rel, my wife edc when we are all together, which is mostly at night and over weekends. She carries a Taurus Pt111 pro 9mmL, and shoots not to shabby with it. She has shot with my Mini 14 mav88 and franchi 500, which she shoots all pretty well. Unfortuneatly, her whole wordrope is pretty tight fitting fancy clothes ( she is the receptionist at a big company and needs to be all duded up everyday) so edc is mostly on weekends.

My ammo for my Vektor SP1 9mmL is roll-your-owns, 124gr hornady xtp and her carry loads is Federal hydra Shok. Before I get reamed for my rollies, our local gunshop are big into hunting and does the minimal for handguns, IPSC etc people. So rollies will have to do till I ever get to a proper gunshop. (I hate traveling, so not soon)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.