Perfect Union banner

mo-rod or accu-strut

16K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  James T. Kirk 
#1 ·
Which one is better?

#2 ·
guess thats subjective. I prefer the Accustrut - I have one of the oldies with the internal dampener. Finish is good, shooting is good, cs is great, and its the original. Mo-rod is a bit bulky and awkward looking.

#4 ·
Thanks, Scorpion! We went to significant design effort to develop those low-profile flex-clamps. It would have been much simpler to spec in the simple billet clamps used by every one of our competitors. We knew we had to design a clamp as strong as a block-style clamp, but maintain a low profile and provide universal fit. To this day we offer only a single clamp design that fits any Mini except for the Target model.

#5 ·
I added an Accustrut Lt to my 580 Series Mini-14 because it has the thin/light profile barrel. It looks good and works as advertised. I have other mods to my mini-14 but it wouldn't be as good a shooter without the accustrut. I don't know much about the Mo-Rod but I bought the accustrut because I thought it looked better. YMMV

#6 ·
Accustrut LT here for me on my series 581. Use the optional secure method by dimpling the gas block. Now I will say that I don't like dealing with the loctite on the barrel and clamps. My opinion is the rear clamp for the tapered portion of the barrel needs an update.

#13 ·
Sometime in the future experiment with increasing the size of the optional gas block screws and going to a dog point set screw.

I redesigned the roll pin attachment for the Mo-Reaper (not your product) with opposed dog point set screws and it works wonderful. I think it was rejected by the Mfg as too expensive.

#14 ·
Sometime in the future experiment with increasing the size of the optional gas block screws and going to a dog point set screw.

I redesigned the roll pin attachment for the Mo-Reaper (not your product) with opposed dog point set screws and it works wonderful. I think it was rejected by the Mfg as too expensive.
Dog-points. Yes, nice thought. I'll bring this up with my production guy.

#16 ·
My Accu-strut doesn't fit quite right since I installed a Gen 4 ASI gas block.
It has more gap toward the front of the barrel if I use 2 clamps.
I also had to remove some material from the strut to get it to fit correctly with the gas block.
Not Accu-struts fault at all but just wanted to let people know I did have fitment issues using these two products together even though ASI Gen 4 is supposed to be compatible with the Accu-strut.

#20 ·
I also went with Accu Strut that helped a lot, BUT I also went one step further and got the barrel and action including bolt spring the whole works Cryro froze now I can truly say that I've got a tack driving model 196 Mini 14 just love that rifle now that it shoots like a Ruger was meant to shoot.

Paul

#22 ·
Well, someone should stand up and declare, Mo-Rod! We're very proud of our products too, and we believe our custom clamps on our barrel stabilizers are the best on the market for a no-slip installation. We don't put down the competition, but the Mo-Rod & Mo-Reaper are quality machined accessories that look great, and function even better! ;)

Mo-Rod 5.5" Barrel strut for Ruger Minis

#28 ·
The Mo-Rod looks like a Tinker Toy. The Accu-Strut looks like it belongs. Only a side by side test using the same gun, ammo and impartial shooter can decide which is "better" to enhance accuracy. The looks go to to the Accu-Strut.

#38 ·
I ordered the Accu-Strut LT for my series 189-xxxxx Mini-30, looks great, holds strong, but the best part is when I test fitting my Accu-Strut, before any gluing or drilling, I screwed up one of my gas block strut mount itty bitty screw, stripped the inside of the hex key part. I shot a email out to Accu-Strut and they sent me 3 new itty bitty screws and a new hex wrench in like 2 days! Wow they are fast. The clamps on the Accu-Strut seem more stout, but the clamps on the others seem alot cleaner looking, they look like they wouldn't hold as well and an Accu-Strut clamp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.