Perfect Union banner

Do you only own a Mini-14/30 because your state has rifle restrictions?

• My state does not restrict, and I chose to own a Mini.

Votes: 90 65.2%
  • My state has restrictions, and that influenced my purchase of a Mini.

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • Other -- please explain.

Votes: 21 15.2%

Do you own a Mini because your state doesn't allow ARs?

12K views 127 replies 61 participants last post by  COSteve 
#1 ·
Do you own a Mini because your state has rifle restrictions?

I made a comment on another thread (about the effect of low budget AR's on the Mini market), and now I'm wondering how accurate it is. The comment was that I think that what has kept the Mini-14/30 in production were sales to states that have rifle configuration restrictions, like CA and NY. Here and on the SKS boards, there are a lot of people in those states who own these rifles, that seem to primarily own them because they have so few choices of semi-auto rifles.

In thinking about it, I kind of doubt that Ruger makes public things like how many rifles of various kinds they sell per state, but anyone willing to take a guess? Not very scientific, neither is the poll really, but maybe we can get a feel for how much choice plays into the purchase.

#2 ·
It used to be that mini's were cheaper, but an enormous amount of competition has brought the prices of AR parts and complete rifles to the point where that's no longer the case.

A lot of poeple do have mini's for the reasons you mention, but many of us just like them, warts and all. I have some damn nice piston AR's that outperform my mini's every way imaginable, BUT, there is just something so right about the mini platform. It balances so nice and has a great organic feel to it. They also blend in with other hunting rifles as long as you don't use a mag larger than a standard 5 rounder.

I've thought many times about selling both of mine, but just can't make myself. I finally rationalized that their "normal rifle" appearance has certain advantages in a reasonably short event or full on WROL situation that they are worth keeping.

I think there is always going to be a market, but then again I never though I would see the Winchester 94 .30-30 mostly disappear from the store shelves.

#3 ·
I like the looks of the mini over the AR and more comfortable to shoot. I can get just as good of groups or better with my mini's. It's a great carbine that is very durable and handy, pleasant to shoot.

#4 ·
I chose a Mini-14 at the same time as all my shooting and hunting buddies were jumping on the AR bandwagon.

I prefer the styling and ergonomics of a "traditional" rifle, so the Mini is the direction I took. It's not that I dislike ARs, I just prefer my Mini. And, FWIW, many of my friends who jumped out and bought ARs and sneered at my Mini-14 actually prefer shooting the Mini now.

#43 ·
If you trained with the Garand....that muscle memory is there.
I do not understand why a rifle has to have a pull at the back of the receiver to pull the bolt back, then another device to "seat" the cartridge.

Now there are AR's that have a Garand type bolt pull and do away with that excessive parts collection.

#13 ·
It appears that you are correct, which is why I like to test my assumptions. I'm not sure where I got the idea from, but I'm glad that I was wrong -- its much better for the Mini if it has a following based on its strengths, as opposed to just filling a void in the market.

#7 ·
I bought my 197 ranch rifle (first rifle other than a .22) in 2003. At the time, they cost about $350. IIRC, ARs were well over $1000 at the time. I love my mini, but if I was in the same spot again, at today's prices, I'd go with an AR. ARs are everywhere, parts are everywhere, and they're easier to customize. I'll never part with the mini, but I'll probably get my boys ARs when it's time. If a brand new mini was still 1/3 the cost of an entry level AR, I'd probably stay with the mini.

#8 ·
I voted "Other".

We live in a state where we can still buy ARs and Hicap mags.
But we sometimes vacation in or travel through other states where an AR would be illegal, so a Mini with 10 rd mags is the ticket on those trips.

After owning several examples of both, I'm convinced that the AR is a superior system for 99% of the possible uses. But my Mini is my "politically correct assault rifle."

#12 · (Edited)
Fixed it.

I voted "Other".

We live in a state where we can still buy ARs and (Hicap) STANDARD mags.

But we sometimes vacation in or travel through other states where an AR would be illegal, so a Mini with (REDUCED CAPACITY 10 rd mags is the ticket on those trips.

After owning several examples of both, I'm convinced that the AR is a superior system for 99% of the possible uses. But my Mini is my "politically correct SCREW YOU assault rifle."
Glad I could help.

#11 ·
Bought my mini back in the mid '80s, and until recently, really never had an interest in ARs. But I just bought my first AR this year. And even then, it's a gas piston model AR, with a 1:7 twist, like my 185 series mini, so all the heavier rounds that I have work well in both.

#15 ·
I have a mini-14 and an AR-15

The mini is a 580 series with the light profile barrel. I have had a trigger job done, added an accustrut, 1911 style buffers, and it has a 3x9 Burris scope in the Ruger rings. I get very good accuracy with my handloads but it shoots good factory ammo pretty well to. Its surprisingly accurate with good optics. I love the way it looks and shoots and with the scope it shoots good enough to deer hunt inside 150yrds or so. Its a modern day utility carbine like the Winchester was except its semiautomatic and looks like the M1 Garand/Carbine and shoots a pretty good round for what it was designed for.

The AR-15 is a 16" heavy barrel carbine with an EOTech 512 sight and Magpul BUIS and furniture. Very reliable and slightly more accurate than the mini-14 but its a defensive carbine only and in that role its better than the mini. IMHO and experiences.

#17 ·
I purchased my first Mini-14 at a time that ARs were still unrestricted in California. And I knew they were soon to be restricted. I chose the Mini because I simply did not like the direct impingement design. Other than that, I thought Stoner's ideas were brilliant (as were Garand's). I'd have no problem owning a piston-drive AR, but as it happens I've grown to love the Ruger so just keep buying them.

#21 ·
I posted a link for a sale at PSA just over a week ago for a brand new flat top Bushmaster on clearance for $400 after rebate. I believe that is now less than a mini.

I don't have either because I like to shoot commie rifles where the ammo is cheaper, like me.

#25 ·
It was my first centerfire rifle and is still the one that I cherish the most after all these years. It will be thirty years next March.

I was also influenced by "The A-Team" but I discovered that it was not just a pretty gun, but also shot much better than I could ever demonstrate. It was even better than my Colt HBAR which I later sold because it did not perform as I had expected.

I love the way it looks and shoots and would have it regardless of where I live.
:cool:

#27 · (Edited)
I will add this to the conversation. I purchased a mini because I liked the piston driven rifle. If I didnt live in a restrictive state I would still own my mini but she would live in a SCAR stock.

Or atleast have a SCAR to go out in from time to time.

Reactions: Arky boy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.