Perfect Union banner

How are you liking your Hogue stocks?

15K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  sandog 
#1 ·
Hey folks, it's been a while. I haven't made a single post since this last New Years Eve.
I just recently noticed that Hogue has a stock that'll fit our Mini-14s. I don't know how I wasn't made aware of this years ago<_<. My question(s) to those that own one: How do you like it? How's the fit? How does it compare to the OEM wood stock (ie weight, length of pull, comb height, overall thickness, buttpad, etc).
Any info would be appreciated. They're not too expensive at all, and I think I'd like to get one. Thanks!

#3 ·
I have 3 of them and I love 2 of them. One didn't fit right and had a lot of extra material in places it shouldn't have. But my other 2 work great and I haven't had any issues with them. The lop is a little longer then your factory wood stock and it's not quite as heavy as the wood stock. But I think they are very comfortable, I'm not very big 5'10 160 lbs and they seem just right for me.

#8 ·
I recently purchased the OD Green stock for my mini 30. I have a 582 series and have no problems with the fitment. I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a new stock. Here's a link to a video I made of the hogue stock.

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Those rifles look great! Now I just have to decide on the color. I usually go standard black, but that Ghillie Tan looks really good for the Arizona Desert. Decisions...

Here are my current setups, with OEM and Butler Creek Stocks:

#12 · (Edited)
My Hogue fits snug as purchased, no other fitting was necessary. I have to wiggle the trigger group to get it out, with the factory stock it would just fall out. To remove the barreled action from the stock requires a light rap on the bottom of the barrel just ahead of the fore end. I like the color of the O.D. green Hogue, it goes well with the Cerakote on my metal parts. I first ordered a "Ghillie Green" Hogue from Brownell's, when I got it, it was a sick blue/grey color. Hogue traded it for the O.D. one. It is a little longer length of pull and weighs slightly more than the factory stock, both wood and the black synthetic. I like the feel of the rubber coating of it, it can grab your shirt though as you're bringing the rifle up. I minimized that by having a butt pouch to go with the coyote tan Spectre sling. It is intended for a 20 round magazine, but I use mine for a bag containing an Otis cable and a few other cleaning items, a little tool for the Tech sight, spare firing pin and extractor and 2 small Allen wrenches for the Accustrut and Ultimak.

#14 ·
I have one on my SS Ranch mini30. Ergonomically I like everything about it LOP, tactile Houge "feel", but as sandog (nice custom rig, man) mentioned I also dislike the grippiness of the rubber when carrying front with the Spectre sling.

Imma have to try that electrical tape trick wxl. Thanks!

#17 ·
Love the hogue. and the weight/LOP difference is negligible, i don't even notice. When I first dropped it in and took it shooting, I had one issue- I was getting FTEs 20-30% of the time. I stripped it down and cleaned everything good and noticed I had wear marks on the bottom of the OpRod. Turns out the Forend liner was making some random contacts with my OpRod and slowing down the cycling. I took the forend liner and used a pair of tin snips to cut off the part that loops around the end of the stock and kept ONLY that and tossed the rest of it. Good as new, it seems like thats the only part of it thats really needed anyway. Enjoy the Hogue!

#19 ·
My Hogue fits great and improved the accuracy as well and improved handling. Mine grab my shirt alsol and I got a tip on here that if you put one or two wraps of electrical tape on the last 1/2" of the stock it would eliminate that. I did it five years ago and it worked great and is still on the stock.

#22 ·
I have the guile green both for the Mini 14 and just put one on the Savage Hog Hunter. The fit was a lot tighter than OEM on the Mini and accuracy improved some. Love the feel of the Hogue. Had the Mini out on a couple cold rainy days and handles well. Haven't shot the Hog Hunter yet with Hogue waiting for above 0 degree weather for that.

#25 ·
Replaced my series 5817 synthetic with a Hogue. In retrospect was a waste of money. Fit was no better and added more weight. The Hogue fore end tab liner broke. I could have added a cheap stock extension to get the added LOP. I wished I had stayed with the original synthetic factory stock. Just my 2 cents worth.

#26 ·
yeah I don't like the one I got either
fit is not a problem but like others said it grabs my shirt on the way up and also holds sand and dirt. Also I was getting a ton of stuck cases

went back to the factory synthetic and all is well

I guess it's just personal preference

#27 ·
Stuck cases sounds like the stock was pushing in your liner against the op -rod. The little tab that holds the liner into the stock broke on mine too, I counter-sunk a little flush head screw and epoxied the screw into the stock. I got around the grabbiness near the butt pad by using a Spectre sling with mag pouch. It velcroes around the stock, so the first 5 inches or so of the grabby is covered. Also gives me a place for a 20 round mag with enough room for a bag containing an Otis cable and some other cleaning gear, a spare firing pin and extractor, and a few small allen wrenches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.