Perfect Union banner

Mini 14 Tactical or Ranch Rifle

13K views 79 replies 20 participants last post by  tri70 
#1 ·
I'll start by apologizing for starting this thread, but I haven't been able to come up with enough answers from the search feature.

I'll be buying a new Mini in the coming days. I've owned several Mini 14's and one Mini 30 over the years and have decided I want a Mini for my SHTF rifle. We live in the woods without very much open area and I don't know if barrel length will matter all that much.

If I go with the tactical model, I'll be buying one with a traditional stock, not the pistol grip as I just don't do well with pistol grips. I'll go with the synthetic stock whichever one I buy.

The Ranch Rifle is pretty handy and I like the ones I've had, but the 16.5" barrel has a certain appeal. I also like the flash hider.

So other than barrel length and factory flash hider is there anything gained one model over the other?

Thanks gentlemen.

#2 ·
Is the ranch version you are considering stainless or blued?

#4 ·
The 16.5'' has the advantage of being theoretically more accurate. The shorter the barrel, the stiffer it is and more resistant it is to "barrel whip".

Most do see a slight accuracy increase from shortening the barrel up. Having said that, my Mini 14 ranch with some accuracy improvements is shooting ~2'' or a little less with my hand loads.

If you want a SHTF, in the area you described, I would go with the tactical model for the reasons you have already mentioned. To add to that, the synthetic stock Ruger supplies is very solid and lightweight. Perfect for SHTF, IMO. Use the KISS principle on this SHTF stuff as well as Murphy's Law. Small parts are probably something you want to have extras of in the butt stock, along with any survival stuff.

Keep optics in mind if you want them too. I would prefer a small 1-4x or 2-8x made by a reputable company. Keep the irons on the rifle in case the scope would fail.

Anyways, I'm sure you are already at least somewhat familiar with this so sorry for the long rant. Let us know what you decide and good luck with the decision!

#5 ·
Thank you.

I'm kind of liking the short barrel and flash hider idea. You're right, it would be handier for close quarters.

But now bai78 has got me to thinking about stainless too. It's definitely less maintainence, but I never had issues with Ruger's black/steel finish.

#6 ·
Like he said, Tactical is most of the time more accurate, but, if your using M193 or M855 ammo, you may want the extra MV of the 18.5 barrel for better chances of fragmentation. Excepting that, the Tactical sounds better for you.

#8 ·
I own both and I can't complain about either of them. The tactical is my fun gun and the Ranch is setup for varmints. The only advantage I can find is I prefer the threaded barrel on my tactical. But If you go with a 5812 LE model you would have a threaded 18" barrel which is what I wish I had done over my ranch model. But you live and learn.

#9 ·
I own both and I can't complain about either of them. The tactical is my fun gun and the Ranch is setup for varmints. The only advantage I can find is I prefer the threaded barrel on my tactical. But If you go with a 5812 LE model you would have a threaded 18" barrel which is what I wish I had done over my ranch model. But you live and learn.
Ain't that the truth.

#10 ·
Good to see you CA357! The brakes are easy to do multiple shots with, I lean towards the one with a threaded barrel. You can swap out for a better brake down the road. I like the stainless models too, easier to maintain and I polish a little on the moving parts to keep everything running smooth.

Lot of fun with any model!

#12 ·
I've been giving it a lot of thought and I've decided to go with the tactical model. I plan on buying a blued model. If I can come across a closely priced stainless model, I'll spring for that, but otherwise, blued will be fine.

I'll post up when I buy it.

#13 ·
One thing you'll want to take into account is ammo. With the tighter twist, you'll be able to shoot heavier bullets, but 55gr is about as low as you would go.

But, then why would you want to go lower? With 1:7, you can shoot up to 77gr, I believe.

The shorter barrel and flash suppressor, would sell me... but I'm not allowed either.

#14 ·
Crusty, careful on the twist info. From my understanding Ruger has changed the twist in their barrels many times in the past. Currently all new Mini 14 rifles being sold come with a 1:9'' twist.

#16 ·
Really? I thought that was supposed to be (one of) the selling point(s) of the Tactical... a 1:7 twist. Oh well.

Yea current models are a 1:9 twist. But the best accuracy I get out of both rifles are with 75 and 77 gr bthp's and they are 1:9. Mine seem to hate the light stuff.
Interesting. I'm not partial to 55 gr, though my Mini likes it. Not the stuff to try and sight in an optic with, but it runs flawless. For cheap(er) fun, I'll grab it.

She loves 62 gr, though. I had a boatload of if, so it was what I was firing thru the Mini for some time.

I'm certainly no load expert, but I thought 75+ gr was pushing the upper limits of 1:9 twist on a 5.56/.223?

#17 ·
I had a lot of people tell me that it would never group those particular bullets. But I found some threads where other mini owners tried them and had success. So I started reloading both types and have been getting good results out of both of my rifles. The tactical has a new holosun red dot that I just sighted in this afternoon (shot amazing at 50 yds which was all I had time for today). And my ranch rifle has a 4-14x scope and is shooting about 1.5-1.75 moa with the 77's. So I suggest giving them a chance if you reload or find a deal on them loaded.

#18 ·
I love fat slow bullets. I'm a big .45ACP fan so I gravitate towards heavier bullet weights. I guess I'll have to pick up a variety and see what it likes best. A hundred yard shot is absolute maximum range here in the woods.

#22 ·
Literally half price. I'm getting 1000 rnds for free. Don't really have the money right now, but I needed to replace range day stuff and I had waited. Then I saw the sale and knew I was meant to buy it. :D

Though, I don't really like taking green tips to the range... they make a distinctive thud when they hit the metal targets... but, dudes bring a lot heavier artillery there, than me... so I'm not going to sweat it anymore.

Figure I'll put 500 - 1000 downrange, which should give me 1500 - 2000 to save (I have 510 rnds of it already) for SHTF and by that time, I'll be back to buying ammo.

#27 ·
It's my understanding that the accu strut and all the other "barrel stabilizers" don't actually make the gun more accurate, they only help reduce barrel whip from it heating up, so they will keep your bullets closer to target after the first 5 or 10 have been fired. They can also help to dissipate some of the heat, slowing down the heating issues.

#28 ·
I have no plans to add an accustrut. I think that with the shorter barrel accuracy will be just fine for my purposes. I'm buying it for a field/woods/shtf rifle. I'm not a target shooter. I love the Mini for exactly what it is.

#29 ·
For the stated purpose you do not need MOA accuracy. Minute of felon at 100 meters will do fine. Almost any Mini will do that. And if it will do it at 100 it will do it at 200, problem solved. I agree with the shorter barrel, all my minis except the factory rifle with the movable weight, which incidentally when you have that rifle dialed in, you are a 400 meter threat, particularly if you use good 62 gr penetrator ammo. Using the 77 gr match ammo is usually a waste in the mini, remember you want to discourage BG, and there is nothing more demoralizing that looking at your buddy that lost his forearm the previous day.
Ditto on the above spare parts, and make sure ALL your mags are factory Ruger. The mini is prized by tower guards at most prisons for the same reasons you want it for: Reliability, sub 200 meter accuracy, and excellent disabling qualities. A hit in an arm or a leg will provide permanent discouragement to BGs as far as returning to that area, particularly if they don't know exactly where the shot came from. Learn some basic field craft and keep your muzzle flash down and you will be all but invisible, use a suppressor and they will never find you as the suppressor distributes the sound away from the firing point to areas far to each side of you.
I have 4 minis, ALL WORKED ON BY John Baker at Western gun works. They are for defense, my cave (reinforced by 6 48' containers) in a steep hillside . My game getters are Savage 22 WMR scoped bolt guns (no mean defense guns in their own right), and a 223 over a 12 gauge. Handguns are a couple of S&Ws in 45 ACP, and a half dozen Kel-tec P30 WMRs, with lots of ammo for all.
Got 3 streams full of fish, and each has a removable hydro project, and a lot of solar panels located away from the main house.
For serious long range and subsistence there are 2 FN 308s, scoped for out to 800 meters. I even have my own man cave, er, container, where reloading and the like takes place. Just finished it, and even the local conservation officer for that area could not find it after walking about 70 feet away from it.
Remember there is more to survival than a good rifle and knowing how to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.