Ruger 10/22 Anything about the Ruger 10/22 family of rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 13:00   #1
Points: 1,949, Level: 26 Points: 1,949, Level: 26 Points: 1,949, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Tactical solutions or Whistle pig barrel???

OK just so we are all on the same page - this is for light weight hunting gun but it has to be very accurate...

please let me know what you have experience with

Thanks

Nick
NickTheTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:58   #2
Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

I have 3 Whistle Pig barrels currently and will definitely have more. I don't think most will shoot whatever miniscule differences there'd be between the two brands personally. Just prefer the available color options from WP and their outstanding customer service. Do keep in mind that WP ha thieir bbls done in batches so what you want might not be in stock when you order and could be a few weeks. Well worth whatever wait there is though.
BlkHawk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:35   #3
Full on evil Capitalist!
Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77 Points: 14,138, Level: 77
Activity: 47.3% Activity: 47.3% Activity: 47.3%
Last Achievements

Personally own a no longer available Butler Creek Carbon Fiber barrel on my 1022. (It has stainless ends, and a stainless button rifled tube/barrel, that is then wrapped with carbon fiber and molded/sealed around it all into a .975 OD profile.)

It is a tack driver. Shoots with no stringing, or change cold or hot. Also the barrel outside barely gets warm, but the stainless parts do heat up.

I've shot a few TS equipped 1022's, and they are very nice too. Also very accurate, perhaps even more so than my BC Carbon, but not as light weight. (The owner of that TS equipped rifle was supprised to see what I had, and find out that our similar rifles, both with Hogue stocks, and similar optics, but mine was lighter, and it has to be the barrel.)

Short of pulling off the optics, we agreed the difference was not enough to worry about. (A few ounces.)

Some advantages to the TS barrel was the option for a threaded end. Makes it easy to put a compensator on there, or suppressor.

I've shot a Volquartsen CF barrel equipped 1022, it was much like the BC I have, but the CV looks better. You can see it's CF, while the BC is just black molded plastic looking. Did not notice any improvement in accuracy.

All of these rifles will put one inch holes in the X at 50 yards with good ammo, and 1/2" holes in them with great ammo. With a rest, and match ammo. how tight a group can you shoot? It's not the rifle, it's the shooter at that point with all of these in my opinion.

I've never shot the whistle pig stuff, but if it's light, and accurate, then it boils down to personal preference, and how much you want to spend.

I think I've spent an obscene amount of money on what was a 1022 off the shelf many, many years ago.

It's way lighter, shoots slightly better, but most important, it's mine, and nobody has one like it.
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 20:44   #4
Erin go Braugh
Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29
Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Personally own a no longer available Butler Creek Carbon Fiber barrel on my 1022. (It has stainless ends, and a stainless button rifled tube/barrel, that is then wrapped with carbon fiber and molded/sealed around it all into a .975 OD profile.)

It is a tack driver. Shoots with no stringing, or change cold or hot. Also the barrel outside barely gets warm, but the stainless parts do heat up.

I've shot a few TS equipped 1022's, and they are very nice too. Also very accurate, perhaps even more so than my BC Carbon, but not as light weight. (The owner of that TS equipped rifle was supprised to see what I had, and find out that our similar rifles, both with Hogue stocks, and similar optics, but mine was lighter, and it has to be the barrel.)

Short of pulling off the optics, we agreed the difference was not enough to worry about. (A few ounces.)

Some advantages to the TS barrel was the option for a threaded end. Makes it easy to put a compensator on there, or suppressor.

I've shot a Volquartsen CF barrel equipped 1022, it was much like the BC I have, but the CV looks better. You can see it's CF, while the BC is just black molded plastic looking. Did not notice any improvement in accuracy.

All of these rifles will put one inch holes in the X at 50 yards with good ammo, and 1/2" holes in them with great ammo. With a rest, and match ammo. how tight a group can you shoot? It's not the rifle, it's the shooter at that point with all of these in my opinion.

I've never shot the whistle pig stuff, but if it's light, and accurate, then it boils down to personal preference, and how much you want to spend.

I think I've spent an obscene amount of money on what was a 1022 off the shelf many, many years ago.

It's way lighter, shoots slightly better, but most important, it's mine, and nobody has one like it.
Very awesome! I like it!
theboonedockssaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 19:23   #5
Points: 3,883, Level: 39 Points: 3,883, Level: 39 Points: 3,883, Level: 39
Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3%
Last Achievements

Personally I like the WP barrels. The 10/22 I built used an 18 inch fluted one and was super accurate, and it looked pretty good too.
NY Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 20:59   #6
Points: 3,009, Level: 33 Points: 3,009, Level: 33 Points: 3,009, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I put a TS barrel on the 10/22 I built for my wife, It's super accurate and so much lighter than mine.

His and Hers

IRONSIDES68 is offline   Reply With Quote