Ruger 10/22 Anything about the Ruger 10/22 family of rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 00:00   #26
Erin go Braugh
Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29
Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7%
Last Achievements

Angry huh? Ideal for training purposes?

Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
Yeah pretty worthless. They say its for training but... why not load one round in a 10 round mag?
That would make to much sense!
Ruger says "This standard 10/22 magazine holds one shot and is ideal for training purposes."
Well, it was easier to buy guns for the advanced shooters and use the one round magazines for the beginning class. As the kids progress and learn gun safety and skills they can use the same rifle they will have in the other classes and we can just give them the higher capacity magazines. Yeah it might seem dumb, but it keeps the insurance companies happier and the lawyers too. Not everyone is at the same level prior to the classes so better safe than sorry. I hear you as I can buy a factory 10 round mag for (less than)that price and put one round in it, too. It seems lawyers and insurance companies, dictate our lives. The reason we were giving was if the kid had a 10 round magazine he could load it with more ammo, duh right. Well as we only give out 1 round at a time in that class... "He could bring it(more ammo) from home and create a dangerous situation." This insures that the instructors can have more control over the class and situation. So far it is working. I can end a students class time if for any reason they are NOT doing what is expected or required. Most all students are pre-screened and really want to take this, so they behave and we are DI strict and take NO guff.
theboonedockssaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:19   #27
Points: 1,668, Level: 23 Points: 1,668, Level: 23 Points: 1,668, Level: 23
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by theboonedockssaint View Post
That would make to much sense!
Ruger says "This standard 10/22 magazine holds one shot and is ideal for training purposes."
Well, it was easier to buy guns for the advanced shooters and use the one round magazines for the beginning class. As the kids progress and learn gun safety and skills they can use the same rifle they will have in the other classes and we can just give them the higher capacity magazines. Yeah it might seem dumb, but it keeps the insurance companies happier and the lawyers too. Not everyone is at the same level prior to the classes so better safe than sorry. I hear you as I can buy a factory 10 round mag for (less than)that price and put one round in it, too. It seems lawyers and insurance companies, dictate our lives. The reason we were giving was if the kid had a 10 round magazine he could load it with more ammo, duh right. Well as we only give out 1 round at a time in that class... "He could bring it(more ammo) from home and create a dangerous situation." This insures that the instructors can have more control over the class and situation. So far it is working. I can end a students class time if for any reason they are NOT doing what is expected or required. Most all students are pre-screened and really want to take this, so they behave and we are DI strict and take NO guff.
My shooting club does a lot of rimfire rifle training for youth groups and can provide some of the firearms. The total newbies or those who tend to not obey instructions tend to get the single shot bolt guns and the more experienced kids get the guns with a 5 or 10 round mag - this because the instructors and the RSO may be outnumbered by 3 or 4 to 1 and can't watch everyone constantly or dole out rounds one at a time. It is a little bit of extra safety.

Interestingly, the CMP sells Savage Mark I (single shot) and Mark II (mag fed) bolt rifles (Youth models) for youth training programs.

But other than very young or very inexperienced shooters, I don't think a one round mag or single shot rifle has any significant advantage for training.

Some shooting competitions only allow one round to loaded in the shooters' magazine on command of the range officer - "You may now load one round". Unless it has changed in recent years, that applies to the Wimbledon Cup long range matches.

Model06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 16:54   #28
Points: 3,072, Level: 34 Points: 3,072, Level: 34 Points: 3,072, Level: 34
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
I bet Bill is rolling over in his grave at what his company has become.
IIRC he had something to do with 10 rd max magazines or something?

And THEN didn't make 10rd mags for the Mini-30... :facepalm:
Old 05-28-2012, 10:38   #29
The Poly Grip Kid
Points: 1,575, Level: 22 Points: 1,575, Level: 22 Points: 1,575, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Lightbulb

it looks to me some of the posters in this thread think something is a dumb idea or some kind of gimmick when they don't understand the simple concept of designing and manufacturing this mag for sale to the public.
I think model 06 and a few others provided the correct answer I just had to throw in my 2 cents worth about the matter.
My shooting club does a lot of rimfire rifle training for youth groups and can provide some of the firearms. The total newbies or those who tend to not obey instructions tend to get the single shot bolt guns and the more experienced kids get the guns with a 5 or 10 round mag - this because the instructors and the RSO may be outnumbered by 3 or 4 to 1 and can't watch everyone constantly or dole out rounds one at a time. It is a little bit of extra safety.

Interestingly, the CMP sells Savage Mark I (single shot) and Mark II (mag fed) bolt rifles (Youth models) for youth training programs.

But other than very young or very inexperienced shooters, I don't think a one round mag or single shot rifle has any significant advantage for training.

Some shooting competitions only allow one round to loaded in the shooters' magazine on command of the range officer - "You may now load one round". Unless it has changed in recent years, that applies to the Wimbledon Cup long range matches.
St8LineGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:54   #30
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
to this mag?

10_22-BX-1-1-One-Rd-Magazine-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

if its made... its made to sell... but why?
Its a liberal approved mag, but you have to store it at a friends house who is a non-gun owner and he has to be registered under Obama care. LOLs

~I used to be a master troll like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee....

~Don't meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste nice with Ketchup!
Drache Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 15:43   #31
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Angry

Originally Posted by palmer View Post
if O was here he would say he doesnt beleive in mags either

i know his wife beleives in big free vacations on the taxpayer espenses
That bitch !

~I used to be a master troll like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee....

~Don't meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste nice with Ketchup!
Drache Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:39   #32
Points: 1,644, Level: 23 Points: 1,644, Level: 23 Points: 1,644, Level: 23
Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6%
Last Achievements

Hi, the Guide to Safe Scouting requires that any Boy Scout .22 rifle shooting be done with a single shot rifle. We specifically purchased single shot rifles for our boys.

It surprised me that just a couple of years ago, Ruger came out with a Boy Scout Commemorative 10/22. Both Ruger and the Boy Scouts shared the profits.

Since seeing that hypocrisy I now let my older Boy Scouts shoot 10/22s loading 5rds. The younger scouts still use the single shot rifles. No scout shoots anything until they fully understand and can teach the three basic safe gun handling rules to others.

Regards,
Richard NRA CRI

Last edited by ssb73q; 08-04-2012 at 12:49.
ssb73q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:02   #33
Points: 1,846, Level: 25 Points: 1,846, Level: 25 Points: 1,846, Level: 25
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

Some people need to get a life!!! If you have no need for a product dont buy it plain and simple. Thats why business is not a democracy, everyone doesn't get to vote on it only those paid to make decisions. Life in a free country and I love it. FRJ
RAatw is offline   Reply With Quote