Perfect Union banner
73K views 79 replies 26 participants last post by  Crowcifier666 
#1 · (Edited)
-10/22 Compact
-16.25" factory taper barrel threaded
-Factory birch stock modified for butt plate and strut, "torch camo'd" and refinished with Tung oil
-M14 trapdoor butt plate (with teak spacer and stash)
-Auto bolt release mod
-Tech Sights TS200
-UAG 2.5x20 LER scope w/ supplied rings
-Tactical Innovations charging handle
-UTG quad rail, modified to fit tech sights and barrel strut
-Accu-Strut barrel strut, faux gas tube
-Home made paracord adjustable sling

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words gents.

The sling was made with a combination of a few knots, and quite a bit of luck. I used a prussic loop as the base, approx. a sling and a half length. Then used a cobra stitch 1/3rd over the prussic length to widen the strap (starting right at the knot, this side will be the rear half of the sling). Just after the end of the cobra stitch, I used a prussic, made of smaller diameter cord and length, with a clip that fit my rail sling attachment. This can slide the length of the remaining original prussic, but locks up when loaded, if that makes sense. And the extra length of onssitithe large prussic beyond the "adjuster" that was unnecessary for shooting-back carry positions, I daisy chained to shorten it up.

I know it's a lot of terminology there, but I named all the knots so they could be looked up. Animatedknots.com is a great site. I'm a tree climber for a living so knots and rope are another obsession of mine....:D

#29 ·
Tell me about it. A few years ago I could tie a rope horse halter in about 20 minutes using the prussic loop and a few other knots. Last week I tried to tie one and it took me over 30 minutes trying to tie just the prussic loop and had to look it up to see where I was going wrong. I finely got it tied 3 hours later after pulling it apart 3 times and starting over.

#7 ·
Crowcifier,

Tell me about the front sight and threaded barrel. I am currently trying to plan a 10/22 scout build, and I want it to have a front sight, but I also want it threaded so as to be compatible with my sound suppressor. How did you manage to set back the front sight to allow for the barrel threading?

Thanks!

#8 ·
Tacman, unfortunately when I bought the used rifle, it was threaded already with the dovetail moved back. The previous owner had a gunsmith do it.

Not much help to ya, sorry. I would talk to a gunsmith (Welcome to Great West Gunsmithing) if it seems like too much of a project for yourself, I know it would be for me. Good luck with the build, make sure to post some photos!

#13 ·
Just an update: I finally got the iron dialed in, but mostly have been playing with the scope. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my $40 scope retained zero almost perfectly when taken off, packed into my spot, and re mounted (kind of a poor man's QD with the thumb screwed rings). I was skeptical at first, but I have done it quite a few times now with the same results. Man I'm glad I didn't go overboard on the optics for this build :). If anyone is interested in a scout scope I recommend the UAG LER (or EER) 2.5x20, got it off ebay.

Love this new .22, and how she shoots. I have been hitting 2" or 3" sticky targets regularly, but haven't really benched her yet, more of a field and woods type gun.

#16 ·
Been having a lot of fun with this rifle. Changed some things up so I thought I'd post a follow-up.

I recently decided to replace the cheap (but perfectly functional) UAG scout scope with the Burris Scout. I was saving it for the Mini 14, but unfortunately can't shoot that as often as the .22. So I put that on with some Warne QD rings, with no remorse. Much clearer sight picture, and just as accurate, if not more so.

Also, she was starting to stove pipe a little too often for my standards; so I put in the PC titanium extractor I had. Problem solved.

Lastly, I got rid of the bulky UTG rail covers (except for one on the bottom rail, it makes a cushier rest), and put on some black and OD ladder style covers.

#19 ·
I'm building my 10/22 SOCOM using mostly M1A parts. True M1A stock, gas assembly, UTG rail made for M1A, M1A front and rear sights. Not sure how to finish the wood. Either stain black and paint with textured black paint or leave the wood a natural stain. Will have to experiment with the black textured paint to see if it has a durable enough finish when dried. Take a look at my photos and let me know what you think.

IMGP2000.jpg picture by TT-Bone - Photobucket

#22 ·
I have returned from exile!

It's been a while since I could post here, due to my "disrupting behavior" ;), but I thank you folks for your comments, and looks like some have some interesting builds going themselves.

A few minor changes.... I recently took the Burris Scout off, and figured I'd play with the Tech Sights. It was getting too easy with that scope. Also put on a Streamlight TLR-3. Nice little light, probably good to 50yds.

Here's some eye candy:

With my new Navy Colt replica:

Eventually, I look to put a Mueller APV on her, but I'll stick with irons for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.