Ruger 10/22 Anything about the Ruger 10/22 family of rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 17:40   #1
Points: 3,251, Level: 35 Points: 3,251, Level: 35 Points: 3,251, Level: 35
Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0%
Last Achievements

Which one piece scope mount?

I like the idea of a one piece scope mount for my 10/22. Can anyone help me decide between these two, Weigand Combat "integramount":

http://www.jackweigand.com/1022.html

or DedNUTZ "gamereaper:

http://scopesbinoculars.com/ruger_10..._scope_mounts_

The scope I want to use is an inexpensive Bushnell 3-9x32mm Sportsman, with a one inch tube, if that makes any difference.

I may mount it a little higher than necessary for a 32mm scope. I want to use the same height rings as my 42mm mini-14 scope, because the two rifles are on similar Hogue stocks, with a similar "drop." I'd like each scope to be the same height over bore/height over comb, so the stock hits my cheek at the same place with each rifle.

Last edited by squinty; 07-16-2010 at 09:53. Reason: I somehow confused inches and millimiters
squinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:36   #2
Points: 1,714, Level: 24 Points: 1,714, Level: 24 Points: 1,714, Level: 24
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I use the Dednutz mounts on all of my 10/22 builds. I prefer the rounded edges for a smoother look. I have used all 3 heights and have had no problems with any of them.

You would probably get the same results out of either of the mounts you mentioned.... they are both quality mounts. It's more a question of which one you like the most.

Good luck with whichever you choose....

Don
BangBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:18   #3
Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

I like Weigand's stuff. have his rings on a couple 10/22's and will use them on another pending build too. It's a 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other here though.
Oh, as a FYI...it's not a 3-9 by 32". It's a 3-9x32. the 32 is in mm not inches.
BlkHawk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:12   #4
Points: 4,981, Level: 45 Points: 4,981, Level: 45 Points: 4,981, Level: 45
Activity: 5.3% Activity: 5.3% Activity: 5.3%
Last Achievements

I use this one and have had good results.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-...nt-22towl.html
Gem1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:24   #5
Last Achievements

I think the OP is looking for a one piece mount..... base and rings in one piece.

Don
Old 05-30-2010, 14:03   #6
Last Achievements

Red face

Originally Posted by BlkHawk73 View Post
I like Weigand's stuff. have his rings on a couple 10/22's and will use them on another pending build too. It's a 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other here though.
Oh, as a FYI...it's not a 3-9 by 32". It's a 3-9x32. the 32 is in mm not inches.
thanks
Old 07-16-2010, 07:45   #7
Banned
Last Achievements

I hear the stock Ruger rail is junk. Be sure to read the post about the Ruger Bump in the receiver before mounting the rail.
Do get a one piece, not a two piece, it's much easier to align the scope and keep it that way.

Best Regards, John K
dkac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 15:49   #8
Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by dkac2 View Post
I hear the stock Ruger rail is junk. Be sure to read the post about the Ruger Bump in the receiver before mounting the rail.
Do get a one piece, not a two piece, it's much easier to align the scope and keep it that way.

Best Regards, John K

What Ruger item to you isn't junk? "Hear" = hearsay? I've used the factory one on a few builds and have yet to have any issues with them at all.
BlkHawk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 16:54   #9
Last Achievements

I agree with BlkHawk73.... I've not had nor heard of anyone with any problems with the stock Ruger Rail.

As far as a "bump" in a Ruger Receiver..... if you have a 10/22 with a confirmed bump in the receiver I'll buy it. That's a collectors item for sure! Heheheheheeeee...

Don
Old 07-17-2010, 06:48   #10
Banned
Last Achievements

Ouch, I must have hit a nerve.
I like the aftermarket mounts better and have heard from people who said they have had problems with them. I don't use them and had few customers who stayed with the Ruger mount, so yes I do sometimes go on opinion from people that I trust and know firearms.
There was a run of receivers that has a bump on the top from a worn out mold.
It would cause problems with the mounts bending a little, being transfered to the scope.
They have got a new mold, but it's best to check every one with a streight edge along the top, if it's a new gun, it's most likely OK, but I still check. I carry a streight edge and always was just a step or two from measuring tools. I measured a lot. It saved me and my customers problems. There are more defects than you would think from gun company's and aftermarket suppliers. I much preferd to catch them before installation, thank God most were good.

If you like, I can say nothing about problems that I have seen as a gunsmith, or I can give a heads up to check.
I'm sure not doing it for me.
As for the mount, it's my opinion, I don't like them near a much as the afternarket mounts. Maybe you do. That's why it is opinion.
Sir, use what you like. it's your rifle, but the one post mentions other mounts being used on your rifle, not the Ruger.
It's just that the Ruger mounts are cheap. Like most companys, they will save money wherever they can.
I trust the precision of the aftermarket mounts, I don't trust the precision of the Ruger mounts. That is just my opinion.
As I said, use whatever mount that you wish. Most everyone I know is using aftermarket mounts. There is a reason for it or so many Ruger mounts would not hit the trash along with other junk in the box.

Sometimes people who are very brand loyal get upset if anything bad is said about their favorite brand. I do understnd this, but as good as Ruger is in many areas, they do have some problems in others as do other brands. I just am not afraid to give an opinion.
It does not mean I don't like Rugers, I have had more fun working on and shooting my two Mini's, 10-22 and Revolvers than ny of my other guns with the possible exception of my tacticel Savage .308. I kinda like it quite a bit, it's a shooter.

I have no idea of your experience level, but I know mine. You will not see me give you a bad time on anything you do to or buy for your firearms, afterall, they are yours and as long as you are happy, that's all that matters.
If I am aware of a possible problem, I will post. Yor firearm may not have the problem, but you do sound like the type of person who cares about your weapons and would would at least check.

I don't claim to know it all, but try to share what I know to be true and like seeing people have the best firearms they can.
I could have made a lot more money in another profession other than being a gunsmith. It was my love of firearms that kept me in the business for so long. I wish you nothing but the best and hope you see my intentions as good, not know it all or blow hard.
I want people to not waste money on things that don't work or may cause a problem.
I'll give you an example. I ordered my new Mini and when putting on the scope noticed the scallops did not look right, so I mounted an old junk scope in the ruger mounts just for fun, I knew there were going to be problems. There was not one post about what has turned out to be a big problem.
The Ruger rings cut badly into the scope on both sides because of scallops cut wrong by Ruger. I brought the problem to the attention of the people on the Mini site on this board along with several fixes. I most likely saved some damage to some high priced scopes and was thanked in PM's by quite a few people. I have yet to see a new Mini that did not have this problem and no one on the board has said their Mini's were right, a lot said they had the same problem as mine. Ruger said they installed a new fixture, but how many hundres or thousands of defective guns were shipped? I don't know but it's a very large number.

I didn't do it for me, I did it for the shooters. I have acess to a large Gunsmithing shop and was able to go through a lot of mounts until I found the one's that fixed the problem and did not destroy the scope as well as work out other solutions. I've been retired about 5 years.
Should I have just kept my mouth shut ?? I think not.

Best Regards, John K

Last edited by dkac2; 07-17-2010 at 14:16.
Old 07-17-2010, 21:01   #11
Points: 1,982, Level: 26 Points: 1,982, Level: 26 Points: 1,982, Level: 26
Last Achievements

Don't have a one piece mount on my 10-22s, but I have a Weigand mount for a Browning Buckmark. Nice piece of machining. Was well worth the money.
kenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 21:06   #12
Banned
Last Achievements

Good quality, you made a good choice.

best Regards, John K
Old 08-09-2010, 10:39   #13
Points: 2,929, Level: 33 Points: 2,929, Level: 33 Points: 2,929, Level: 33
Last Achievements

dkac2, Well, here is another to take "issue" with your statement. After 44 + years of gunsmithing and putting "countless" numbers of Ruger base mounts on 10-22's without any problems I wonder where you get your experience/information from concerning their mounts. Although retired now, I still do a lot of gunwork for friends, relatives and myself. I read your posts on other forums and have to ask the question: why does a "retired" gunsmith send all his work out to be done by others? Just a friendly observation......................Dick
pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:14   #14
Last Achievements

Hey, all you guys, knock off the personal attacks ok, you sound like a bunch bickering little old ladies. Thanks for all who gave opinions or advice, I appreciate getting a range of differing opinions before deciding. That's helpful.
Old 11-04-2010, 18:46   #15
Points: 5,678, Level: 48 Points: 5,678, Level: 48 Points: 5,678, Level: 48
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Last Achievements

Newbie to the world of 10/22, bought an used (circa 2000) a few weeks ago.. it came with a cheapo Weaver T-09 rimfire rail... I don't have much clue what to do with it.. except took the advantage at Midway.. $11+ for mag and a Midwest Industries pic rail for my Sightron S33 or the Ultradot25 to sit on.

For $24, I REALLY like it a LOT: http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_id=360

(Pic to follow)

Last edited by Wagon; 11-05-2010 at 17:47.
Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19   #16
Points: 23,612, Level: 94 Points: 23,612, Level: 94 Points: 23,612, Level: 94
Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0%
Last Achievements

I would go with the DNZ one piece... The ONLY thing to keep in mind is the size of the optic you plan to use... You will want to make sure you get the mount that will keep that objective off, but as close to the barrel as possible.

If you know the size of the objective you are using, DNZ makes it pretty easy to figure out which mount to use.

I love the mount. I do have one myself... although it is on a Savage .243. It is an amazing mount...

Indyarms is offline   Reply With Quote