Perfect Union banner

Wrong Combination of components?

965 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Evil_Lurker 
#1 ·
I'm a bit new to this and have just been reading up the many options in upgrading my really old 10/22. Basically, I'd like a light rifle for the range and field but more so for the field. I've just sorta pieced together my rifle by choosing what I've read on the forums.

So far this is what I have...
VQ hammer and sear,
VQ extractor,
VQ ext mag release,
Tuffer buffer,
TacSol 16.5" fluted barrel (alum),
power custom base,
burris low zee rings,
mueller apv,
B & C Anschutz (non thumb hole) stock on order (back ordered).

I really like the stock but feel that my barrel may be too light and short for the stock. Originally I was considering the Fajen adjustable legend stock but I like to the b&c better. I have only seen B&C anschutz with long heavy barrels. Is this the combo ridiculous or will it work for a light target/hunting gun? Many thanks for you help!

See less See more
#3 ·
Other than balance (muzzle weight) or longer sight radius for open sights, there's no advantage to going with a barrel any longer than you have. A 22LR gets maximum velocity out of a 16-18 inch barrel.
It will work great. That muzzle weight is nice on a bench gun, but I never liked it for shooting offhand in the field.
I went with the Magnum Research carbon barrel to get rid of even more weight and it's a ton of fun.
But that's just my opinion.

#4 ·
Too light and short for the stock? If it works for YOU, it doesn't matter at all what the rest think. I think for a hunting use with some target work, I'd opt for a sporter thumbhole laminate but again, over a more target specific style. It's all individual preferences.
Just becasue it's a favorite of mine, look at TT Shooters trigger over the VQ stuff.

#5 ·
Thanks crash but i already have everything but the stock which i can decide to cancel since it's back ordered. I actually really like the stock and wanted to build my gun around it but wasn't sure if I was taking the right approach. I know most of you have a few but I just want one...an all around gun.

Evil lurker, that is my reason for chosing a light barrel so that i can carry it on the field. I can't imagine lugging a heavy barreled rifle around. I'm just sorta stuck on getting that stock.

So true blkhawk, that's what's so great about customizing these fine rifles. I just haven't seen too many b&c anschutz stocks with short lightweight barrels.

Thanks for all your input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.