Perfect Union banner

Bolt Hold Open

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Evil_Lurker 
#1 ·
I had a problem at the range last night with the Bolt Hold Open mechanism. I could not get it to release the bolt once engaged. I have not torn it apart yet to find out why, but I was wondering if anyone esle has had this problem and what caused it?

#2 ·
Is this a new problem, or a new rifle? If its a new rifle, make sure you're pulling back on the bolt first, then pushing up on the front of the release, then releasing the bolt... Pretty complicated, and why the bolt release mod is done almost universally as one of the first mods.
If its a new problem, I'd say check to see if you have a broken release spring or see if its crudded up pretty bad.

Good luck...
Byrdman

#3 ·
Yes, it is a relatively new gun. I have tried and tried playing with holding the bolt, letting it go, all sorts of messing with it. I even had several other people (with 10-22s) at the range try just in case I lost my mind. I took it apart last night. I think the Bolt Lock spring is screwed up. I need to look at it some more tonight and my friends to compare it to mine. I think you're on to something!

Thanks!

#4 ·
FYI, I got it fixed last night. you were right, the spring was not broken, but it somehow slipped benieth where to sits on the hold open latch. I bent it so it will have a little more grip, re assembled it and it works great.

Thanks Byrdman!!:D

#5 ·
You should do the auto-bolt release mod (unless you want to keep the rifle 100% stock, some people are like that, and it's okay).
But if you look at the picture in the "how-to" section, and have a small half-round file, it's about a 10 minute job. If you do the mod and it doesn't release when you pull the bolt back, make the top a little more rounded. It needs a bit of arch in it where the "tit" was originally.

Can I say "tit" on here?
Probably not. :unsure:

#6 ·
Smooth up that side of the receiver, smooth up both sides of the bolt stop, and you will not need a spring. I did the trigger spring thing with a safety pin and left the bolt release spring out. Locks up and drops easily by its own weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.