Perfect Union banner

Briley Custom 10/22

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  RRMan03 
#1 ·
Anybody have any experience with the Briley Customs or the Volquartsen custom guns ? What do you like or dislike. I am looking to get a high end 10/22 with a non thumb hole laminated stock. What parts are essential to making the gun a high end piece. If you have time please recommed parts,makers and sources.I know this is a long question and if you do not have the time to answer I understand.I appreciate all input I get. I am really liking my new found interest in the rimfire game. Amazing how you start a 6years old with a single shot 22 and 50 years later you start shooting the old 22's a lot again.I guess I had it right in the beginning.

#2 ·
First, welcome to the club. It's an addicting one. My first advice is do some searches, both here and at RFC. It's ALL been asked and answered over and over again. Having built a bunch of these up, I can say the big names aren't always the best choice by any means. You'll very likely do better to build it pice by piece rather than buying a pre-built one.
You say you want "high-end". Is it for simply having the name and whatever prestige supposedly comes with the name or is it indeed for the top level performance? If the later, yeah, build it yourself. If the former, don't waste your money. Having the big fancy stuff is moot if you don't use it for it's intention IMO.
So, yeah...do the searches, read, search some more, it's all there.

Feel free to shoot a PM this way if need be.

#3 ·
I have to agree with BlkHawk73. You can go out and buy someone else's idea of a high end 10/22 or you can build one yourself using aftermarket parts from any of the hundreds of different parts and services that are available for 10/22's. There are many, many different laminate stocks you can find as well as parts to make your rifle as accurate as you choose to make it. The choices of stocks, barrels, optics etc is almost limitless. With a little planning and research you can design and build the rifle of your own vision that will perform as well as any of the custom built rifles you can purchase from any of the different companies out there. I did exactly that and can tell you from experience that it is much more satisfying doing yourself. You will get a greater sense of accomplishment as well as gain valuable experience and will value your 10/22 much more that way.

Here is my high end custom built 10/22 (planned out researched and built by me). Incidentally this stock is a Walnut laminate Just to give you an idea of what kind of laminates are available.

#6 ·
NY, every time I see a pic of your gun, a little bit of drool drips down my chin. That has got to be one of the best looking guns I've ever seen. Plus you're right, the satisification that comes with doing it yourself can't be beat.

RRMan, the great thing about these guns is that you can build them a little bit at a time as time (and money) permit. Just develop a plan for what you want the final product to look like (Or just get a list from NY). There's not much that requires too much skill as most parts simply bolt on.

#4 · (Edited)
That is a beautiful gun. I am not going to be a competition shooter but I am looking for accuracy.I am already an expert marksman and have been for many years I just do not compete.I shoot for fun and hunting. As for my on build I just do not have the time to do it and probably not the skills. If I may ask where did you get your beautiful stock.It is one of the nicest I have ever seen. Would you email or PM me what you used on your build. I am going to have one built and have a few options in mind but do not have the experience with the 10/22 to know what I actually need/want. I do know I want a longer barrel.I probably want 22" barrel. Optics I know well so that is not a problem.The internals I admit I am not knowledgable.All help will be appreciated.

#8 ·
Building it was truly a labor of love that has been returned a thousand fold from all those who have given their kind and generous comments on it. I wish I could take much of the for it's creation but the reality of it is that I only designed it in my head and was lucky enough to come upon all the right pieces at the right time. The 10/22 is the easiest rifle to customize there has ever been made and I just made mine to my idea of what the perfect 10/22 sporter would be.

As far as the cost, I have $1500.00 invested in it after everything, but it is worth every penny I paid. It has become one of the most recognized Ruger 10/22's in recent memory (having been the first ever to be seen on Rugers Tricked out 22's photo gallery as well as it's now being part of Rimfire Centrals banner). It has been honored many times over by so many people that I can't help but feel it has become my own personal pride and joy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.