Perfect Union banner

Stingers

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  rnr4me 
#1 ·
I just bought a new 10/22 and after owning one since 1976
I figured I knew it all and didn't need to read some stupid owners manual..
One night I got bored and decided to look thru the book just for
something to do ( I mean hey after all I know it all... --joke-- )
and there on page 14 is a warning with a big red circle & line going across it
" DO NOT USE STINGER AMMUNITION "
I have run 100's of Stingers thru my old 10/22 without any problems
How much damage do you think Ive done to my gun
It does shoot great.........................

#2 ·
How much damage do you think Ive done to my gun
None. If you measure the case on Stingers, you'll find they are longer than standard 22LR. If you have a short, tight (match) chamber, they most likely won't allow the bolt to close all the way and might bulge or burst the unsupported case head.
That said, I shot lots of them through my old Marlin and never had a problem. I don't think that puny little 22 cartridge will blow your barrel up, if that's what you're worried about. There's a lot of "safety factor" there.

#10 ·
This is right. The sport barrel has a 'sloppier' chamber, which allows it to accept the longer stinger brass. The target and other aftermarket barrels have a tighter chamber and it won't allow the longer brass.

The longer brass can cause the bolt to not close all the way which will then allow for possible 'out of chamber explosions'. A very dangerous situation.

It has nothing to do with pressures or velocities.

#7 ·
I have no info about the new gun, but will say that Stingers in my Tac Innovation 16" barrel have been a major dissappointment as possum stoppers. Granted, this is at night and shot placement suffers, the last two did not stop even after being hit twice. When this awful rain stops I will be switching to Velocitors.

#8 · (Edited)
Mostly conjecture on my part, here, so if you find some data that contradicts me, I won't be surprised.

The Stinger gains muzzle velocity at the expense of bullet mass. It also has a slightly larger powder charge that burns slightly slower. At the muzzle, the energy of a Stinger round is higher than a 40 grain high velocity .22LR round. But as the bullet flies, the lower mass of the bullet should shed momentum faster than the higher mass of a HV round, so at the point of impact, the energy of the Stinger may be lower than heavier rounds.

I just looked at a ballistics table from Guns and Ammo and that appears to be the case - depending upon the manufacturer, the energy at 100 yards of a Stinger versus a HV round varies from about the same to considerably less. At the muzzle, the Stinger has more energy than most HV .22LR rounds.

Also, if your older .22 has some throat erosion, the every so slightly longer case may not allow the bolt to close properly. IIRC, the 10/22 can fire out of battery and, of course, if the case isn't supported, it can blow out. Not to mention that the fired case could get stuck.

I've only shot one box of Stingers (ever) and I wasn't terribly impressed. I'm sure that there's an application for them, but it's just not one that I need.

Oh, and a 16" barrel may be a little short for the Stingers to develop maximum velocity, p35bhp55.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.