Perfect Union banner

Help and Advice on Building My First 10 22

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  uzitiger 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey,
What my goal is here is to get advice on building an awesome looking and functioning ruger 10 22. I want a tactical stock that is retractable, it has to have rails on the bottom, an optic (I am looking at an Acog Replica), bipod, and gun. MY price range is at $500 for the whole deal, so here is what I was thinking:

Ruger 10 22
Tapco Tactical Stock with Magpul CTR (Is the CTR compatible with that buffer tube?) What are some other tactical stocks that will fit in my price range.
Bipod will be a used HArris Style replica from a local person.
For my Optic, I am thinking about getting an Acog Replica meant for airsoft. it is 4x32 and around $108.
Tru Glow Sights
Eagle 10 Round Magazines or Hot Lips 20 Round Magazines (I think thats what they are called)
Condor 36 inch rifle bag with MOLLE Pouches (Will it hall the rifle with optics, maybe a bipod, and ammo with extra magazines and room for ear protection and a pair of oakley's?)

Give me your suggestions and comments on how to build a better looking, firing, and cheaper rifle that will be good. Also, I need a recommendation for a case, extra magazines (not the 30 round banana style ones) and cleaning kit.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
OK, Here's my best advice:
You got a great start by buying a 10-22. There are millions of upgrades for it. What I would suggest first is a Trigger job. The factory trigger requires a stump puller to fire the gun. As for folding stock, I like the butler creek Stainless one. (I like it better then a retractable one. I never saw the point in retractable other then if you just like the look.) As for Mags, The Ruger factory 10 rounders will work better then any others I've seen. If you want to change the stock, make sure you Select your barrel first. If you want to go to a Bull Barrel, you will need to change the stock as well. You don't want to get a new stock, then decide to get a Bull barrel.

The best thing to do is search the 1000's of pictures of 10-22's and decide what YOU want. Then, you can contact that person and find out what they like and dislike about their mods. Much of what you do is just personel preference.

#10 ·
As for me personally, My ultimate 10-22 would have a wooden Thumbhole stock (Fajen $195), a carbon fiber barrel (Volquartsen $222), a Leupold scope (Rifleman 3-9X40 $199) and a decent trigger (Trigger job $50). I have a223 with a wooden thumbhole stock and I love the look, feel and control of it. The 10-22 does not come with a light, smooth trigger, so that needs to be fixed or replaced. As for the barrel, I like the look and the weight of it. Regular Bull Barrels are too heavy for my taste; to me, the gun feels too unbalanced. These mods will break your $500 bank ($666 total), but you can always build as money permits. (Add the scope later)

These are my personel opnions. Others will disagree and you may too. Just build what YOU like. You can't go wrong, the 10-22 is a great platform to build from.

#11 · (Edited)
Ar collapsible stock for 10/22

Come on this is not hard to research; have you tried goggling - ar 10/22 stock or something similar. You will come up with several things that do what you want but not in your price range. Evolution 1 and 2, Nordic components, etc. all around $200.

Tapco makes one called Intrafuse which is $109 but includes a rear stock already. There is also a Blackhawk Axiom model that also includes the rear stock assy. for about $90. The Tapco got bad reviews and the Blackhawk looks equally crappy to me.

I agree with the poster above the the folding Butler Creek does a better job for less money. I have one and it is solid when open and folds to a much shorter length for carry.

I am planning a 10/22 type rifle build as well but I don't think I would use this type stock, I am probably going full wood. I'd rather put the money into a stainless or high quality machined aluminum receiver

#16 ·
The stock is OK. Solid enough for its intended purpose.The original rails suck. Wont trust it to hold zero on any kind of optic.It also had an Airsoft feel to it. To resolve that, I installed a Leapers rail. The Tapco stock was also milled at the front end to make it work with the Leapers quad rail.

The added weight of the rail has resulted in a much more solid feel. The rail is also the closest thing to RIS and is sturdy enough for optics. I am waiting on a set of AR15 sights. My intent was to make the rifle simulate the feel of an AR and this set-up works.

#18 · (Edited)
I made my collapsible stock about a year before the Tapco stock came out and mine had a drop. I had a threaded adapter made to fit to the stock and added added a Yugo AK pistol grip and I'm planning to add an Israeli FN-FAL handguard to it. I also got Tech Sights aperture sight which made it easier for my aging eyes.

Someone else made a collapsible stock but with a straight line before I did.

I didn't do it for tactical reasons but to have a rifle which my children and I could shoot and they could adjust the length as they grow.

Lately I got some 10/22 parts except for the receiver which I plan to build myself. That way I'll have one customized and one stock 10/22s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.