Ruger 10/22 Anything about the Ruger 10/22 family of rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 01:39   #1
Points: 3,673, Level: 38 Points: 3,673, Level: 38 Points: 3,673, Level: 38
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Ruger 10/22 USA Shooting Team SS USST II Talo

Hi all.......New to this forum, and if I get one of these, I will probably be asking more questions as time go by.

I was wondering if any one has one of these: Ruger 10/22 USA Shooting Team SS USST II Talo? We don't have any at the local gun shops, but I found a few for sale on Gunbroker.com. How do they shoot? They claim to have a "target trigger", is that any good?

Any info would be greatly appriciated.

tia.........Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger 10/22 USA Shooting Team SS USST II Talo-pix484583359.jpg  
reload9mm86@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:00   #2
Federal Firearms Licensed
Points: 13,464, Level: 75 Points: 13,464, Level: 75 Points: 13,464, Level: 75
Last Achievements

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the world of 10-22s...it is quite addicting. Look at the gallery and you will notice some of us have multiple rifles in different variations.

In regard to this particular rifle...I don't have personal experience with the USA shooting team rifle; however, I do have a TALO Race Rifle which is the exact rifle, but with a walnut colored laminated stock...otherwise...exactly the same as the USA Team rifle. I love the looks of the rifle, and I bought mostly because it was a limited run. I have shot it, and though all 10-22s shoot well...my race rifle wasn't what I expected. I have two other target models, TNZ and T/TS, as well as, one I build with a green mountain barrel. These three rifles shoot 10 rounds inside a dime at 25 yards. I could not achieve that with the Race Rifle....I have since changed glass on it, but I haven't tinkered with it much since then. In addition, yes...it does have a factory target trigger, but on my particular rifle...it was very gritty. My TNZ has a beautiful trigger from the factory. Trigger work is no problem though, so don't sweat it. However, I would say I got a particularly unusually gritty trigger from the factory. I just haven't done anything with it yet...too many projects!

The stock is very comfortable, with the exception of the forend...very wide and flat. Great for resting on something, but not good for off hand shooting, or being supported by hand. Then again...it is a target rifle normally being rested on something.

Overall..I think you will be very happy with it...but I think anybody would be happy with any model 10-22. I would say go for it, the USA shooting Team Rifle is a beautiful piece. I would like to have one myself...but I just don't have the room.

These are my experiences and opinoins, and I am sure someone else has there own. Good luck, and welcome. Mark
NRA Life Member
Collecter/shooter/Hunter
Favorites: 10-22/Mini-14/1911
Current Location: Taji, Iraq
marksz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:24   #3
Banned
Last Achievements

Welcome, reload!
The basic gun is most likely a factory target 1022. If it's a collector candidate fine. If it's a shooter you seek then I'm sure it's very good however you most likely can get more bang for your buck via the build your own route.
That's based on the "w.a.g." method of pricing your pictured gun.

Either way........ it's all good!

SD
Song Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 15:18   #4
Registered Member
Points: 3,287, Level: 35 Points: 3,287, Level: 35 Points: 3,287, Level: 35
Last Achievements

your best bet would to be build your own if you want a shooter, that is going to be higher priced because of the edition, if you need parts I have Kimber Barrels for sale in the for sale section. Good luck
tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:27   #5
Points: 7,904, Level: 59 Points: 7,904, Level: 59 Points: 7,904, Level: 59
Last Achievements

I do not have the "team talo" -22, but I do have a factory 10-22T. Laminate stock, heavy steel barrel, "target trigger". I have repeatedly shot 5 shot one .23 cal holes at 50 yards with it. Accuracy of mine is excellent. The stock is different from the one above, but fit and finish are great and I would assume yours would be too.

As for that "target trigger"....well, I would never have put the word target in front of it. It is an improvement over the regular -22 trigger group, but there is still a little creap, and the pull weight is too high to be a target trigger. I would assume that the target talo would require trigger modifications as well.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:01   #6
Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Aside from the stock it's a regular "T" model. TALO contract manufacturers to produce non-cataloged models and in the case of the USST models (this is the snd) a collaboration with the UST is done as well.
If it suits you, go with it. if you have plans to change it all around later, start with a reg 10/22 and build it up as you like. There's just WAY too many choices with 10/22 accessories.
In regards to the stock being for benched shooting rather than offhnad...not so. This style is designed for offhand shooting but it does incorpaorte a different hold/hand position than tradionaly used. the hel of the hand supports from beneath in the forends upwards curve rather than holding it in a tradional manner. Yes it is a target rifle but for a particular disciplne of target shooting. This style came for this discipline. Stocks designed more for bench work are usually of a heavier profile and without weight reducing voids like this one. These ARE very comfortable stocks!
BlkHawk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 17:42   #7
Points: 104,468, Level: 100 Points: 104,468, Level: 100 Points: 104,468, Level: 100
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Welcome aboard reload. The guys have given good advice. I prefer a full fore stock as this allows me to install a barrel tuner to fine tune the harmonics for a particular ammo. Course this would be after free floating the barrel, and bedding the stock. For target the best is the Kidd trigger. I did my own as outlined in the Tips & Tricks section. Trigger pull is 8oz.
cajungeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 21:34   #8
Federal Firearms Licensed
Points: 13,464, Level: 75 Points: 13,464, Level: 75 Points: 13,464, Level: 75
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by BlkHawk73 View Post
Aside from the stock it's a regular "T" model. TALO contract manufacturers to produce non-cataloged models and in the case of the USST models (this is the snd) a collaboration with the UST is done as well.
If it suits you, go with it. if you have plans to change it all around later, start with a reg 10/22 and build it up as you like. There's just WAY too many choices with 10/22 accessories.
In regards to the stock being for benched shooting rather than offhnad...not so. This style is designed for offhand shooting but it does incorpaorte a different hold/hand position than tradionaly used. the hel of the hand supports from beneath in the forends upwards curve rather than holding it in a tradional manner. Yes it is a target rifle but for a particular disciplne of target shooting. This style came for this discipline. Stocks designed more for bench work are usually of a heavier profile and without weight reducing voids like this one. These ARE very comfortable stocks!
Awwwww...that makes a lot of sense! I can definately see that...thanks.
NRA Life Member
Collecter/shooter/Hunter
Favorites: 10-22/Mini-14/1911
Current Location: Taji, Iraq
marksz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:33   #9
Points: 3,673, Level: 38 Points: 3,673, Level: 38 Points: 3,673, Level: 38
Last Achievements

Ruger 10/22 USA Shooting Team SS USST II Talo

Thanks Guys!! Thanks too for the "welcome's"..........

I think I may go with the Ruger 10/22 Target Adj Synthetic Stock Talo 1175. I like the stock better than the USA shooting team rifle, and I can build a real shooter, with a little time, and help from You.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger 10/22 USA Shooting Team SS USST II Talo-pix1398143203.jpg  
reload9mm86@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote