Ruger 10/22 Anything about the Ruger 10/22 family of rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 14:25   #1
Points: 29,729, Level: 99 Points: 29,729, Level: 99 Points: 29,729, Level: 99
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Report on new target sights custom-designed for 10/22's

I just received the Williams Gunsight 2007 catalog, and I found they have an EXTREMELY cool new set of custom-designed target sights for the 10/22. I'd love to give you a picture, but their website is not yet caught up with their catalog, and the sights aren't available yet anyway.

Recently, I went through a real search trying to find some quality target sights to mount on a 10/22. You can find them galore for guns like Anschutz, but since the 10/22 (until recently) has been regarded by the snobby highbrow crowd as a "lowly plinker" rifle ONLY, it's been hard to find good target-quality sights that fit the rifle without a lot of expensive customization. Recently I customized my own 10/22, and got some Williams FP sights mounted, and it was indeed a hassle: I had to get my new bull barrel drilled, Williams had to calculate front-rear sight heights so I knew what to get, they had to mount a shotgun ramp on the front (because nothing else they had would fit the bull 10/22 barrel), and the receiver had to be drilled/tapped for the rear sight, plus I had to mortice the stock to get it to fit. A lot of work, but it was worth it! Here are pics:

My accurate "stalker" 10-22

But now I guess Williams has been getting enough demand that they developed true target sights for the 10/22. This is a GREAT development: presumably they wouldn't bother doing this if they weren't getting a lot of requests, and this in turn suggests the 10/22, with all the accurizations and mods people are doing to it, is coming into its own as a true, competitive target rifle. The highbrow crowd doesn't like it, but when I look at the results I can get out of my 10/22 now, and when I hear what many of you can get, the fact is, many of our 10/22's CAN in fact compete in a target competition with all but the super-expensive, super-specialized .22's that cost thousands of dollars. A 10/22 can now be a highly accurate target rifle, competitive with bolt actions such as Coopers that cost 6 or 7 times as much!!!

Anyway, the rear sight is similar to Williams existing FP series, like the one mounted on my gun above, but they designed it carefully so you'll no longer have to mortice your stock to make it fit. You will have to drill the receiver, but that's quick and easy work for any smith. The rear sight sits up pleasantly high enough that you don't have to twist your head sideways to see through it, even with the low line-of-sights 10/22 stock, and it has a beautiful, wide target ring with a tiny aperture hole, just like the Anschutz. And like all FP-series rear sights, it has micrometer-level windage and elevation adjustments, with target knobs, so you can easily make really fine grained setting changes.

The front sight is even cooler. It's one of those globe-style sights, with an interchangeable set of inserts to give you all kinds of different sight pictures: wide crosshairs, fine crosshairs, dots, etc. Compare it to a Lyman or Anschutz front globe sight. For instance, scroll down on this page a bit to see the different inserts offered with the Lyman globe sights. The Williams offerings will be comparable:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/sights.htm

If there's a downside to this set, it is cost: $133 from Williams, plus you have to have holes drilled in your barrel to mount the front globe sight, and in your receiver to mount the rear sight. Time all is said and done, you'll probably spend darn near the cost of a new 10/22 to get these sights mounted. But hey, if you're serious about target shooting, this will be an extremely nice option!
timlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 14:50   #2
Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Green Mountain bbls has offered a firesight bbl for a while now. Not really target grade sights but nice none the less. I like 'em on mine.
BlkHawk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 15:02   #3
Points: 29,729, Level: 99 Points: 29,729, Level: 99 Points: 29,729, Level: 99
Last Achievements

Agreed, I like the firesight that you can see in the pics that's mounted on mine as well. But a firesight front bead doesn't have the precision needed for serious target work, such as in Olympic 25-yard and 50-yard competitions, so I think this new front globe sight will be a welcome add-on for the 10/22. I don't think there will be a HUGE market for it, because of cost, but I think that a few serious targeters may start taking the 10/22 seriously as a target platform, and this will be the sight of choice for them.
timlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 16:00   #4
Points: 104,468, Level: 100 Points: 104,468, Level: 100 Points: 104,468, Level: 100
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanks for the excellent product report timlt. I would probably have to wear the little peep on my glasses like those on lymans page.
cajungeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 18:13   #5
Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by timlt View Post
I don't think there will be a HUGE market for it, because of cost, but I think that a few serious targeters may start taking the 10/22 seriously as a target platform, and this will be the sight of choice for them.
I'll definately be taking a close look at them.
BlkHawk73 is offline   Reply With Quote