Perfect Union banner

Bentz Chamber

16K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  New Guy 
#1 ·
I have found this link for the dimensions for the Bentz chamber. It seems that the Bentz chamber is the match chamber for semi autos, as a full match requires the strength of a bolt guns extraction, as it is tighter for better accuracy. Check out this link on the Bentz:http://www.clymertool.com/cgi-bin/reamer.c...ID=2&reamerID=6

#3 ·
Thanks BigMike, That Win 52d is a very small chamber, it must be for very specific ammo.
We can also see from the length dimension, the Bentz puts the bullet .1851" closser to the lands, making it a more accurate chamber. I haven't found a barrel manuf, yet that offers the match, chamber (there probably is one) for the semi auto 10/22, due to the fact, it takes a stronger extraction system of the bolt gun to pull out the case in a reliable mannor.

#4 ·
That makes sense, too short of chamber causing a ramfire. I have heard about the stingers are not compatible with the Bentz. The Adams & Bennett barrel I have, and the Green Mountain barrel I'm ordering (on back order) both have a bentz chamber, I will use my stock extractor, unless I have problems then I will install a Volquartsen extractor. Polishing the chamber may help also.

#5 ·
I have been shooting Stingers from Bentz chambered 10/22`s for ten years and never had any problems. Estimate well over 10,000 rounds between 4 rifles. The warning refers to ejection, at least from Butler Creek barrels. I did experience this with live rounds...when trying to clear the rifle of a live round. But not a fired one. The factory extractor will not consistently grasp the Stinger and eject it (live round) because of it`s tight fit, but a tuned sharp claw extrator solved that. LTS

#6 ·
My 10/22 manual says: "Stinger cartridges have a longer case than .22 LR cartridges loaded to U.S. Industry specifications. They .can stick in the tighter chambers of target rifles, including the Ruger 10/22 Target Rifle, which can result in a hazardous ruptured case and release of hot powder gasses and brass when fired." "DO NOT USE STINGER AMMUNITION IN 10/22 TARGET RIFLES"
LTS i think the key word in the warning is the CAN stick in the tighter chambers. They probably say this to cover their donkey, as you have been firing them ok. BTW what brand of barrels do you use to fire the stingers? I think the stingers are awsome if I could fire them safely!

#7 ·
I can`t speak to the factory 10/22 target rifle, because, to me, it defeats the purpose of building one. I have several barrels that Stingers are used in.

Titan
Butler Creek

Both steel and carbon fiber.

As stated before, nothing goes on our guns until reworked. The chambers are brought to a mirror finish......no matter what the maker may claim, so is the bore (in house method) this removes the least amount of metal and doubt you could even mic it. The breechface is done the same way. This allows for positive feeding and ejection.

Understand, I have used most barrels available......but have had excellent success with BC, and for the money....a bad one (if found) is simply returned for replacement. They are marked (sneaky like) so we do not get the same one back.

LTS

#8 ·
I know what ya mean LTS, I'd much druther build one than buy one, but some people just have a hard time pumping gas, for them its better they buy. (now I'm not saying anyone that buys a custom gun can't pump gas, sometimes you get a good buy, or just don't have the time. Not everyone is mech inclined). Like my neighbor, he brought me his new lawn mower, he had added a quart too much oil in it, so I drained it for him to the proper level, I tell him to clean the spark plug, and make shure no oil is left in the cylinder, he brings me the lawn mower, and said he can't get it started, so I start to pull the plug only to find he had cross threaded, the plug and striped all the threads in the aluminium head, I pull the plug out, and look at the electrode, and it is smashed flat where he had droped it on the concrete. :rolleyes
This may be my first attempt at building a custom gun, but I do my home work.

#9 ·
I had a good conversation with Dan Lilja a couple of weeks ago and he said a 10/22 with Bentz chamber and good barrel (like one of his) could get a good shooter in the 2s and 3s @ 50 yards and .5" at 100 yards. So far I haven't had a anyone dispute it.

He also said the Bentz chamber was the best for the 10/22 and would feed practically anything without unfired shells getting stuck in the chamber. All match grade ammo would work best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.