rate of fire on old, uncleaned 10/22 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger 10/22 Anything about the Ruger 10/22 family of rifles.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 17:11   #1

rate of fire on old, uncleaned 10/22

OK, so, I'm really lazy, don't want to take my 10/22 apart, but I've never cleaned it once since my grandma gave it to me. I've fired probably at least several thousand rounds since. I used the wax coated bullets that I thought were cleaning it for me. I put one of those plastic buffers in it and used only subsonic match grade ammo, so it would make less noise. Doesn't scare off the critters so fast, and easier on my ears. So I guess I should clean it, right?

OK here is my real question: will cleaning it (or do I need other mods) help it fire faster? Currently, I can only plink so fast, certainly no faster than once per second, or it jams, stovepipe I think. Been a while. Fine for killing squirrels. I thought it was just a limitation of the design. Then the other day I saw a video on youtube of someone that had a fully auto 10/22.... sheesh. Obviously not a design limitation. What am I doing wrong? Will simply cleaning the damn thing enable it to fire as fast as my finger can go?
octhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 18:25   #2
RJF

Short answer, yes. A very thorough cleaning. May even consider just taking to a 'smith and pay the man to do it: he'll have the right solvents and equipment (and isn't quite as lazy!). Otherwise, invest in at least a can of pressurized brake cleaner, some wire brushes, solvent, and CLP. Cleaning should include the rotary mags, too.

After that many rounds, you may also want to invest in a new recoil spring.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:52   #3
Born 100 years late.

if you're stovepiping, check your extractor to make sure the claw is still good.
and
are you using a factory mag or an aftermarket?
there's a reason i'm asking
Marlin 45 carbine and octhed like this.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:17   #4

the steel lip hi-cap mags seem to be more reliable.
octhed likes this.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:12   #5
RJF

Originally Posted by Rockys Pop View Post
if you're stovepiping, check your extractor to make sure the claw is still good.
and
At the round-count between cleaning he describes, it is very likely the claw is chock-full of carbon/junk. Good point. Needs some very serious cleaning/soaking/de-gunking.
Marlin 45 carbine and octhed like this.
Old 03-10-2017, 15:13   #6

bolt/breech face gets gunked up.
octhed likes this.
Old 03-10-2017, 15:40   #7

cleaning a 10/22 is not rocket science..cleaning a gun is part of owning one. download a manual or ruger will send you one. is this a real post ? ain't no jiffy lube for gun cleaning. I'd hang my head in shame to walk into a gunsmith and ask him to do routine fieldstrip and clean my firearm. this has got to be a fake post..
BWM likes this.
Old 03-10-2017, 15:48   #8
Operation:Mindcrime

Pretty easy to pull the barrel, remove the bolt, and clean away! Factory mags come apart for cleaning too!
BWM, howard2374 and octhed like this.

Theres a revolution calling you!
Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 16:33   #9
RJF

Space, might be, but at some stage, folks are just too old to do the things we do for our sacred firearms. Easy for us may not be easy for others. But yes, I would hang my head in shame to take my firearms to a 'smith for cleaning. But then again, many 'smiths have a price list for cleaning, which would indicate there is a market for laziness.

Should I live long enough to enjoy shooting but not cleaning (and afford it), the local 'smith will get rich. There is a Jiffy Lube - its called a gunsmith.

Don't know the OP's condition, so wouldn't slam him, but would recommend getting it cleaned well. The 10/22 is a fine rifle, but it can only go so far without cleaning.
Old 03-10-2017, 17:01   #10

well yeah, 9 posts -Hmm?
Old 03-10-2017, 17:10   #11

.22lr ammo is inherently dirty while the round provides less blowback. If you don't want to clean the gun pay a pro to do it. You will not enjoy shooting it if it malfunctions.
RJF likes this.
nickndfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:00   #12

Originally Posted by Rockys Pop View Post
and
Thanks for the info! Factory 10 round mag.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:06   #13

Originally Posted by RJF View Post
At the round-count between cleaning he describes, it is very likely the claw is chock-full of carbon/junk. Good point. Needs some very serious cleaning/soaking/de-gunking.
OK I'll try it. I just never had any accuracy issues, so saw no reason to clean it. I guess I'll get out my rubber gloves and hazmat outfit. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:59   #14
Operation:Mindcrime

I shot 2000rds out of my 10/22 in a few hours. Got a little grumpy at about 1500 - all caked and crunchy. Spit in the ejection port, and racked the slide back and forth really quick, and 500 more rds no probs. Got a good disassemble and cleaning that night. Awesome gun.

Theres a revolution calling you!
Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:30   #15

I've had 10/22 rotary mags so gunked up that the thing was literally stuck in place, wouldn't feed cartridges at all. If I was having jamming issues, I would inspect/clean the mags too.

Grumpy
howard2374 and octhed like this.
grumpy_old_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:48   #16

Teach The Grandkids To Clean Your Guns? ...

Might work. Depends today upon the kids. My grandkids LOVE to take down completely, (I do watch them) clean, lube and reassemble PROPERLY the firearms shot off at the private range. But we haven't shot for months. Wintertime in SW OR USA.

PS: I was told politely but firmly that the Ruger 22-45 would not work in outer space under micro gee because there would be no gravity to help put the thing back together correctly after proper cleaning. Just passing needful knowledge forward. Yikes!
HB of CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 13:25   #17
RJF

PS: I was told politely but firmly that the Ruger 22-45 would not work in outer space under micro gee because there would be no gravity to help put the thing back together correctly after proper cleaning. Just passing needful knowledge forward. Yikes
Same holds true to the Mk II and Mk III, and probably the MK-I. Not to mention that I would probably be barfing my guts out while cleaning/reassembling...My brief experience of zero G (falling 20' from a rope drop convinced me that Airborne and the astronaut program wasn't for me).

Probably something U.S. Space Forces should consider, aside from the return orbital round should one miss. That could hurt! Ricochets wouldn't matter as much as a miss that comes back to hit ya after a complete orbit.
Old 03-12-2017, 15:04   #18

Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Same holds true to the Mk II and Mk III, and probably the MK-I. Not to mention that I would probably be barfing my guts out while cleaning/reassembling...My brief experience of zero G (falling 20' from a rope drop convinced me that Airborne and the astronaut program wasn't for me).

Probably something U.S. Space Forces should consider, aside from the return orbital round should one miss. That could hurt! Ricochets wouldn't matter as much as a miss that comes back to hit ya after a complete orbit.
I remember that as the plot to a sci-fi story maybe 40 or 50 years back. Idea was that the Earth was about to go full nuclear-retard and only on the moon were the US and Soviet forces not fighting so the UN went there to find out how they achieved peace. Turned out in their first battle all the slugs went into low lunar orbit and everyone on both sides was too busy trying to keep track of what they'd already put up to do any more fighting.

Wish I could remember the title of the thing, read so much sci-fi over the years I can't even remember which author it was.

Grumpy
Jeff F and howard2374 like this.
grumpy_old_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:45   #19
BWM

A clean gun will work and will be there when needed!! A dirty gun will let you down and make you mad so why not clean it and stay happy when you go shooting. I would be ashamed of my self if if dod NOT clean my guns!!!
Old 03-14-2017, 13:29   #20
jyo

I've got a real nice old Pre-warning Ruger 10-22 "Deluxe Sporter"---fired it thousands of times without taking it apart---just a little lube here and there (BreakFree CLP) and a bit of scraping under the extractor with a tiny flat-blade screwdriver when it becomes too caked with gunk---the rifle just keeps on perking along with most any high-velocity bulk 22 ammo I have on hand…
My other 22 rifle is my "teaching" rifle---a 50 year old or so Remington Nylon 66---again, not taken apart (very difficult with this design)---no lube because that's how they run---and again, just a little scraping under the extractor hook when needed...
jyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 16:19   #21

After about 25 years mine started having extraction and jamming issues. I took my 10/22 bolt out and cleaned it completely. It functions much better. Before that I
just cleaned the barrel after shooting.
D2wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 17:28   #22
Howard2374

@Grumpy-old-man: Love that story. :-)
@Octhed: Do a search on YouTube on how to clean your 10/22. The first time I saw this guy take his trigger assembly completely apart and just dump the components in a pile, I thought 'You got to be kidding me. He will never get it back together." Now I do that. I got the different grits of sandpaper (200-400-800) and smoothed the bolt et al. I smoothed (as in polish, not take material off) the trigger assembly and now have a nice, light, smooth trigger. [Polish, not remove material.] I find it fun and rewarding. You need a small work area, proper screwdrivers (not the cheap 99cent variety), and a good cleaning kit. Done! And it will make your shooting experience more enjoyable and build your confidence. BUT: Clean your gun. Also YouTube on how to disassemble your clip and reassemble it.
howard2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 18:32   #23
RJF

I clean every firearm the day I shoot them. Army mind-set, I guess...

Can't imagine not doing so.

It is just a part of shooting - the cleaning afterwards is a relaxing experience, kind of a cool-down from the joy of shooting. Happy Hour!
spacewolf223 likes this.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:01   #24

10-22's were not designed to shoot subsonic ammo, full house hi velocity is what is most reliable . I shoot the subsonic stuff from time to time and have some jams with a clean rifle and CB longs turn it into a single shot. Never had a jamb with good standard velocity or any hi velocity ammo.
Old 03-15-2017, 14:00   #25

Make sure to use the brake cleaner "good for plastics" if you use that.
And in a well ventilated area--like outdoors.
Or stock off and dunk in a can/bucket of diesel/other petroleum solvent.
With the age and number of rounds you describe, don't know if I would
try a trigger job. New spring? Maybe. Maybe not.
coastie
coasrie is offline   Reply With Quote