Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 13:23   #1
Points: 178, Level: 3 Points: 178, Level: 3 Points: 178, Level: 3
Activity: 46.7% Activity: 46.7% Activity: 46.7%
Last Achievements

Ruger's new 10/22 Take Down Rifle

Interesting article on Ruger's 10/22 Take Down Rifle...

Real Guns - Ruger's 10/22 Take Down Rifle

Mark
MarkBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 13:30   #2
I have no use for sarcasm
Points: 16,782, Level: 82 Points: 16,782, Level: 82 Points: 16,782, Level: 82
Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3%
Last Achievements

finally... ive been waiting for this thread since i woke up.. think it will give the papoose a run for its money?
Old 03-30-2012, 19:43   #3
Points: 4,159, Level: 41 Points: 4,159, Level: 41 Points: 4,159, Level: 41
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

awesome, looks like a superior takedown system than the marlin except the weight. It's still pretty light, but the papoose is lighter and smaller. i've been considering a papoose, now i want this instead.
shipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46   #4
Points: 6,550, Level: 52 Points: 6,550, Level: 52 Points: 6,550, Level: 52
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by MarkBlanchard View Post
Interesting article on Ruger's 10/22 Take Down Rifle...

Real Guns - Ruger's 10/22 Take Down Rifle

Mark
You know there's a 10/22 section here, right?
Crowcifier666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 22:31   #5
Erin go Braugh
Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29
Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7%
Last Achievements

Nice rifle I wanna get one!
theboonedockssaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:42   #6
Registered Member
Points: 514, Level: 10 Points: 514, Level: 10 Points: 514, Level: 10
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements

Hello. I read about the take down, and was on a mission to find one.
Most all the places I went to said they won't be out for at least a month, then at a small gun shop... there it was. In fact he had three of them. I have quite a few Ruger products, but never purchased a 10/22. The owner handed me the one on display. I was impressed with the little rifle. It had a nice feel, the two pieces lock up tighter than a Browning takedown. The price... $349.95 The draw backs: The barrel and reciever are unique to this 10/22 only, so all the really cool mods I have seen on this site wouldn't apply. But it is what it is, a accurate compact rifle that stores in a neat backpack. You can take along in the truck, boat, or where ever.
On my quest, I also found a Walnut stocked International in Stainless new in the box for $299.00 I decided to purchase that instead.
Normaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 21:41   #7
Registered Member
Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I think there will be some aftermarket parts for this rifle too. Just from the photos, the receiver is the same, the barrel has the same chamber and extractor cutout, and the barrel slides in.

The barrel has to be able to be completely removable from the breakdown connector, looks like it is screwed in.

@Normaman - since you have one, is the locking mechanism better than the V-block on the regular 10/22's?

I will have to find the manual online and look at the schematics, but it might take some time for bull barrels to come out, as the size of the barrel around the chamber is still fits a .920.

I'm gonna check my local store tomorrow for one.
GeoMcGinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 22:33   #8
Registered Member
Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2
Last Achievements

Schematics Available For New Ruger 10-22 Takedown Rifle

Based on the schematics in the documentation at Schematics for the new Ruger 10/22 Takedown Rifle, the barrel is the same as the regular 10/22.

The V-Block that connects the barrel is now replaced by a spacer system and a receiver takedown system, which looks complicated, is all connected to the front of the receiver. The V-block is replaced by a piece called a "clamp," but does the same thing - it attaches the barrel to the receiver, but not in the same way that the original gun did. It is part of the new takedown mechanism.

The receiver is the same - identical to the original 10/22, but the schematics does not show the trigger assembly.

Based on the redesign, any new stock will have to be a takedown too, unless someone is clever enough to allow the hardware to be assembled outside of the stock (in other words, reassemble the new rifle without using the stock, and have the new stocks with cutouts to allow the assembled rifle to be dropped in, and have the new holes for the new takedown screws attaching the barrel to the stock (There is the original takedown screw attaching the receiver to the stock, and another one forward of where the gun breaks apart on the forearm stock).

That is a quick look at the schematics Ruger supplied, so I know I missed something. As all gunsmiths say, we need the gun before we can tell you for sure how to jazz up the new rifle. We also have to make sure that the new takedown system does not effect accuracy, as did the aluminum .22 LR where all the parts were placed in its plastic stock (given to airforce pilots as part of their survival gear).

So I took a stab with a quick look, but I believe it may be doable. However, it your custom stocks will not be designed to takedown like some of the top match rifles (some are all metal/aluminum and can be broken down), why bother?

Last edited by GeoMcGinn; 04-08-2012 at 22:44. Reason: mistake in the number of takedown screws and changing link to text
GeoMcGinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 15:10   #9
Points: 13,808, Level: 76 Points: 13,808, Level: 76 Points: 13,808, Level: 76
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Well, I've had one for two days now. The first day, I did the initial assembly (which differs slightly from assemblies and takedowns thereafter) which took less than five minutes (four minutes for reading instructions...one minute for doing the job). After that, assembly takes about one second, while takedown just a tad more, since the bolt must be pulled back just slightly in order to disengage from the barrel.

Takedown and reassembly can be done with the mag, loaded or not, in the gun. And, in pulling the bolt back just slightly for takedown, an accidental longer pull may strip a round from the loaded magazine, and cast it unceremoniously upon the floor/ground, since the chamber is integral with the removed barrel.

Yesterday, I made a 150 mile drive to Nashville to Bass Pro Shops, and picked up a pair of 32 round ProMag single stack magazines. With several hundred rounds through it, of a large variety of brands and loads, the gun and magazines have been stone cold reliable, no misfeeds, failures to eject...etc.

And while I'm very happy and impressed with the gun, I'm even more so with the gun case/bag/pouch/whatever you choose to call it.

The case is a bifold, and lays out in two halves. In the lower (closest to you) portion, are two longer sections, one for holding the barrel, the other of course, for the receiver and stock. I find laying down the rear sight helps in sliding the barrel into its slip, and did find just a bit of reluctance on the part of the bolt handle in sliding into its proper place.

On the farther side of the opened case, is another, extra, larger, singular pouch (pouches inside close with Velcro, outside pockets are zippered). It is large enough for me to...

1) Put a 15 inch T/C Encore pistol, in addition to the Ruger, inside with ease, and that's with scope mounted.

or to...

2) Put the 10/22's receiver/stock portion into it, with red dot or scope attached. That of course, leaves the original sleeve for the stock for other things...such as 8 or 10 (haven't counted as of yet) 50 round boxes of .22 ammo, etc.

The two outside pouches, upper and lower, are zippered, and big enough to actually be of use. On mine, the lower pouch holds the two 32 round mags with ease, and leaves room for more ammo.

The upper pocket, emblazoned with a brilliant red RUGER logo is also capacious. I've added to mine, a fairly comprehensive survival kit.

Since the gun will ride along with me most everywhere I go (in addition to whatever concealed handgun I have with me), the survival kit will almost always be available.

Five plastic D'ring clips, suitable for attaching gun slings and so forth to the case, are also onboard. I've added a pair of black 2 point gun slings crosswise (or 'cattycornered' for you red necks) of the four corners, so I can use the pack as a backpack. It ends up being about the size of a Camelback water system.

I've also added a single sling paracorded attachment point to the stock, just aft of the pistol-like grip. It allows me to interchange between my T/C Encores and the Ruger, with a single two point sling onboard, thus saving that room as well.

And while the gun came with a long scope ring adapter 'rail', I've set it aside, and opted for just the back half of the Wal-Mart 2 piece 10/22 scope ring setup. And onto that, I've installed a KONUS Atomic Red Dot scope. I love the fact that the receiver, with the scope attached, will fit into the 'extra' interior pouch. Of course, that means no T/C guns, but I'll learn to adapt, I always do....I guess.

Overall, I give it two thumbs up, and an excited endorsement. Accuracy is good, maybe actually excellent, reassembly returns everything to zero very well (haven't tried it with a magnified scope), and reliability is as good or better, than any .22 auto-loader I've ever owned.

My last take-down rifle was an AR7. And it isn't even in the same league as this gun. I don't know about other brands or models, but if they can beat this set-up, I'd like to know. For if there is, well, I'll be of buying one, real soon.
Shotgunbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 19:50   #10
Points: 3,562, Level: 37 Points: 3,562, Level: 37 Points: 3,562, Level: 37
Last Achievements

They look awesome, me wanty
It would update my takedown rifles from the 1907 Winchester .22 pump to something with rifling still in it
kiwihunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:16   #11
Erin go Braugh
Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29
Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7%
Last Achievements

Kiwi you look familiar.

Originally Posted by kiwihunter View Post
They look awesome, me wanty
It would update my takedown rifles from the 1907 Winchester .22 pump to something with rifling still in it
Yeah I am still waiting to see it. I wanty too!
theboonedockssaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:01   #12
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
finally... ive been waiting for this thread since i woke up.. think it will give the papoose a run for its money?
I think they're both good rifles in their own respect. If availability of aftermarket components is important, the Ruger will have an edge in that category.

Generally speaking they did a nice job with the 10/22's take down mechanism, it shot very accurately out of the box, and it's going to be a solid firearm that should hold up well over time.

Mark
RealGuns.Com
Old 05-07-2012, 09:11   #13
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by shipwright View Post
awesome, looks like a superior takedown system than the marlin except the weight. It's still pretty light, but the papoose is lighter and smaller. i've been considering a papoose, now i want this instead.
It may be one of those subjective things, but I'd agree that Ruger did a nicer job with their take down setup. There is a weight difference like you mentioned (the Ruger is almost 1.5 lbs heavier) but the Ruger feels a little more solid/substantial in your hands.

Only time & usage will tell, but I'd have to think the Ruger will hold up well over the long haul.

Mark
RealGuns.Com
Old 05-07-2012, 09:13   #14
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Crowcifier666 View Post
You know there's a 10/22 section here, right?
I do now I'm still getting acclimated to the discussion boards... apologize for the oversight, and appreciate the heads-up!

Mark
RealGuns.Com
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21   #15
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Shotgunbill View Post
And while I'm very happy and impressed with the gun, I'm even more so with the gun case/bag/pouch/whatever you choose to call it.
Great info, and thanks for taking the time to post the additional details. I think folks will travel, hike, camp, etc. with the 10/22, so the case becomes an important part of the overall package, and I was left with an impression similar to yours.

Mark
RealGuns.Com
Old 05-07-2012, 16:15   #16
M14 guy
Points: 31,333, Level: 100 Points: 31,333, Level: 100 Points: 31,333, Level: 100
Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6%
Last Achievements

Sweet, I guess I've now waited long enough to own a 10/22
Old 06-10-2012, 06:43   #17
Points: 13,808, Level: 76 Points: 13,808, Level: 76 Points: 13,808, Level: 76
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

I'm still mightily impressed with mine...I've tried to add a scope (using the Weaver 2 piece 10/22 mounting set), but the Leupold I had on hand, has too little adjustment range. So I'm back to iron sights. I'll pick up a scope, maybe a single power 4x, such as I have on a Kel-Tec SU16-E.

On the other hand, it seems the take down gun hasn't exactly set the shooting world on fire. I did think it would generate more press, and more excitement.

Perhaps the fault lies in the fact it doesn't look 'tactical' enough to pique the interest of today's pop culture oriented gun buyer.
Shotgunbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 19:15   #18
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Its a nice looking gun but I wish they would make a .30 carbine. Why did they stop making the pc carbines ?
Drache Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 17:23   #19
Points: 339, Level: 6 Points: 339, Level: 6 Points: 339, Level: 6
Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6%
Last Achievements

I finally bought one of these cool rifles! Like any Ruger, it is built like a tank!
The takedown feature is way cool! Ruger has done it again!
arjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote