Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 18:28   #1
Last Achievements

Chest rigs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proverbs 17:15 Acquitting the guilty and condemning the innocent--the LORD detests them both.

Last edited by star; 08-06-2012 at 14:06.
star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 19:05   #2
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

I use a Condor QPC in Coyote tan with ABA IIIa soft ballistic panels in it.

I have an olive drab 6 magazine open top style pouch on there for my 6 30 rounders,
Two Olive drab utility pouches on either side that have two built in pistol mag pouches apiece for (4) 9mm mags total

An olive drab First aid pouch that rides next to the rifle mag pouch, that contains a CAT, a couple quik clots, assorted bandages, and a Pneumothorax kit

also have an Olive drab 70 ounce MOLLE carrier for a camelback attached to the back panel of the vest with a bladder in it. and of course the usual admin MOLLE panel with a velcro name tape and a low profile velcro backed american flag patch.

it's a bit bulky, but you get used to it pretty fast - and since the load is distributed over the entire torso - the weight is pretty good... also being able to take a .44 magnum bullet to the chest and live to talk about it could be useful, which is why I went with a Plate carrier style vest over a simple load bearing harness or tac vest, one less thing to have to strap on - armor and load bearing in one tight package.

with my set up - everything is there, just put it on and roll.
donning it is very quick.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 20:29   #3
Points: 1,178, Level: 18 Points: 1,178, Level: 18 Points: 1,178, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I just use an MTV carrier (stops pistol and fragmentation), lvl 4 rifle plates (stops 7.62x54 API ammo) and 5 mag holders on it (open top with bungee cord). One 3 mag holder in the middle and two single mag holders on my weak side. You really don't want a double stack chest rig, it's a bitch in the prone with all those mags right there, which is why I don't run a 3 mag double stack (6mags). I also use a drop leg mag holder, but that's a different story.. It holds one M4 mag and two pistol mags.. I have a mag coupler and another mag on my buttstock too. I don't like running out of ammo.

When you pick the carrier up loaded out you think..'damn this is heavy, but when you put it on it's not bad at all.... Then again I carried heaver loads than that as a saw gunner, so I guess I'm use to it
jnv255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 17:06   #4
Points: 2,064, Level: 27 Points: 2,064, Level: 27 Points: 2,064, Level: 27
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

I tend to really appreciate simplicity, and because i have a well loaded ALICE harness i can afford to keep my chest carrier light. I'm using a $20 No-Name American copy of a 7-cell Chicom in Woodland Camo'd heavy polyester, even I was surprised with the firepower and support i can carry comfortably.The only modification I made was trying in a waist clip from an old fanny pack but there is a list of things you can do: slip-on shoulder pads, removing utility pouches and adding MOLLE webbing, sewing strapping over the mag pouches for small/pistol mag ALICE pouches, adding connecters and a Lifchik or other style bandoleer/utility belt, etc.

Mag Pouches:
2- 2x 40rd Mini-14 mags
1- Basic BOK (C.A.T, 6" Izzy Bandage, 12hr Chemlight & gloves)

Utility Pouches:
2- 40-50rd each boxed .223
1- Cleaning kit (.22 BoreSnake & Hoppe's) *Spare Parts will be added*
1- QuickClot Combat Gauze

I know there are far more advanced rigs that can carry a lot more without all the sewing but I really appreciate having a rig that can be customized to my exact needs and yet still be so cost effective.
KillerSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 17:54   #5
Points: 1,203, Level: 19 Points: 1,203, Level: 19 Points: 1,203, Level: 19
Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8%
Last Achievements

I bought a Condor MOPC running Lv4 plates all around. Fantastic rig for the money, and lots of real estate for molle accessories.
Emptyclips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 00:45   #6
Points: 2,064, Level: 27 Points: 2,064, Level: 27 Points: 2,064, Level: 27
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

I recently replaced my ALICE harness system with a surplus US Army "IIFS" Tactical Load Bearing Vest (Enhanced.) Luckily I can still use the chest carrier, just had to move the contents of the utility pouches to the vest grenade pouches.

I very much prefer it to my old belt and suspenders setup that i thought was the bee's knees (i like older gear.) It's more comfortable to wear, can carry a good deal more and is much more ergonomic. I especially like the feel/carry capacity after i switched from the buttpack to the patrol pack that came with/attaches to my CFP-90 Rucksack (which also blows its ALICE predecessor out of the water, though i often fear breaking the slide assembly.)

*REALLY glad MOLLE was issued, makes these vests and packs comparatively cheap and easy to find.* Hehehe

Last edited by KillerSalmon; 12-03-2012 at 14:34.
KillerSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 17:34   #7
Points: 5,692, Level: 48 Points: 5,692, Level: 48 Points: 5,692, Level: 48
Last Achievements

SADF Pattern 83 Chest Rig, accept no substitutes.

Old 11-27-2012, 21:22   #8
Points: 3,185, Level: 34 Points: 3,185, Level: 34 Points: 3,185, Level: 34
Last Achievements

That's an awesome rig OrenG, where did you pick that up at?
Soren FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 21:24   #9
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Soren FAL View Post
That's an awesome rig OrenG, where did you pick that up at?
CamoCorp - International Camo Clothing | Army Surplus | Camoflarge clothes | Medals | Uniforms

Be forewarned though, when I got mine in from South Africa, it smelled absolutely horrible. Not a military surplus smell, more like a gym shorts that haven't been washed for a year smell.

Haven't been able to get rid of the stink yet through conventional washing methods, but I ordered some Hunter's Specialties Scent-A-Way spray which should hopefully rid it of it's foul stench.
Old 11-28-2012, 14:43   #10
Points: 1,314, Level: 20 Points: 1,314, Level: 20 Points: 1,314, Level: 20
Activity: 25.5% Activity: 25.5% Activity: 25.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by OrenG View Post
CamoCorp - International Camo Clothing | Army Surplus | Camoflarge clothes | Medals | Uniforms

Be forewarned though, when I got mine in from South Africa, it smelled absolutely horrible. Not a military surplus smell, more like a gym shorts that haven't been washed for a year smell.

Haven't been able to get rid of the stink yet through conventional washing methods, but I ordered some Hunter's Specialties Scent-A-Way spray which should hopefully rid it of it's foul stench.
Put them in a bag and dump in a whole box of baking soda, make sure it coats everything. Let it sit for a few days then you wash it using more baking soda or white vinegar and let air dry outside. Preferably out of direct sunlight, sunlight fades fabric badly and a mistake I won't repeat.
old grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 14:45   #11
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by old grump View Post
Put them in a bag and dump in a whole box of baking soda, make sure it coats everything. Let it sit for a few days then you wash it using more baking soda or white vinegar and let air dry outside. Preferably out of direct sunlight, sunlight fades fabric badly and a mistake I won't repeat.
Thanks for the tip,

I have tried washing it with baking soda amongst other soaps but I have not yet tried using baking soda alone.

The spray is supposed to be delivered today, if it doesn't work I'll try that.
Old 11-28-2012, 15:20   #12
Last Achievements

Things packed up tightly and shipped by sea often pick up odors that are hard to get rid of. Clothing from a house with heavy smokers is just as bad but instead of mildew, oil and metallic odors you have tobacco. This worked for both. Had uniforms packed in the ships hold that we weren't wearing because of where we were and when we pulled them out they smelled like lube oil, diesel and old paint. If we could make them smell good you can make anything smell good.
Old 11-29-2012, 20:03   #13
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by old grump View Post
Things packed up tightly and shipped by sea often pick up odors that are hard to get rid of. Clothing from a house with heavy smokers is just as bad but instead of mildew, oil and metallic odors you have tobacco. This worked for both. Had uniforms packed in the ships hold that we weren't wearing because of where we were and when we pulled them out they smelled like lube oil, diesel and old paint. If we could make them smell good you can make anything smell good.
Well I'm doing the dry baking soda treatment right now. Spray did absolutely nothing. Not sure how it is that deer cannot smell laundry soap and sweat but we can. False advertising if you ask me.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:19   #14
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by OrenG View Post
Well I'm doing the dry baking soda treatment right now. Spray did absolutely nothing. Not sure how it is that deer cannot smell laundry soap and sweat but we can. False advertising if you ask me.
Deer can smell but what they are sniffing for is food, other deer and predators. The man stink of foot odor, bad breath, sweat and tobacco is highly over blown because deer are also curious critters. I have had them come up to me when I was using a chainsaw, (oil and gas plus noise) I have seen them walk up to my snoring brother and sniff him. (pipe smoke) I know of one buck who lost the lottery when he came up to investigate a youngster in our party getting rid of last nights beer and this mornings pancake and sausages. The kid got his deer but came home with his pants in the trunk and an old feedbag sack wrapped around his waist. I don't smoke when I hunt but I know a lot do and it doesn't stop them from getting their deer. Biggest thing about getting rid of old mildew, smoke and chemical related fumes from clothing is for my nose's benefit.
Old 12-23-2012, 16:56   #15
Points: 9,062, Level: 64 Points: 9,062, Level: 64 Points: 9,062, Level: 64
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

5.11 Tactical TACTEC Chest Rig - Black - Free Shipping & Return Shipping - Shoebuy.com

I like the look of this one. Sturdy well made, not over kill with pistol holster and pistol mags, radio, and other BS.

And with the molly you can add whatever you want.

This and a rush pack you are good to go.
Magog is offline   Reply With Quote