Perfect Union banner

funnest gun you have shot

20K views 121 replies 99 participants last post by  Tommygunner 
#1 ·
title says it all. What is the funnest gun you have ever shot?
mine would be 10/22 ....

#31 · (Edited)
Good post!

A tie:

A BAR at a range that was an old quarry. Seeing the debris falling from the rock face was quite an adrenaline rush.

An M249 SAW at the Little Creek NAB. I was a guest and thought they recommended we do only bursts because they were worried we couldn't handle the recoil. (Didn't know much about FA's at the time).

I just pressed the trigger and didn't let up . . . UNTIL . . . the rangemaster started screaming at me to cease fire, and of course it took a while before I heard him.:eek: I felt terrible for getting him mad (I'm very respectful of any range, and didn't know I was doing something wrong), but afterward the Marine next to me gave me a wink and a smile, and said just do the bursts from now on. I think about that episode every time I see the Gunny ask for "trigger time" on his TV shows. That lead and tracer spitting downrange at that rate was quite an experience.

My least fun:

A full-auto Glock. It seems more of a novelty than anything practical. It was a nightmare to control.

My most cherished:

My late Grandfather's 1911, with my Father, on my first ever range trip. One of those rites of passage that every red-blooded American should have.

#32 ·
It is a hard choice as a former aromoer in the 101st I have shot a lot of guns, but putting the 3.5 Rocket Launcher, 106 mm Recoilless, M-2 and M-60 aside I would say the most fun gun was the real blooper, the old M-79. It was just a damned fun gun to poop the bad guys with and with a bit of practice you had a mortar in your hands and a bad "rifle" on your shoulder.:) My favorite carry gun was the M-78 (the old designation for the 203). I told my son about the setup ever since he was a little knocker.

Today he is a PJ or para rescue troop with about two dozen tours in A and I and he carries... guess what? Yep, a 203 is his gun of choice. So the 40 mike mike keeps coming up in our family.
Ed

#33 · (Edited)
..............I would say the most fun gun was the real blooper, the old M-79. It was just a damned fun gun to poop the bad guys with and with a bit of practice you had a mortar in your hands and a bad "rifle" on your shoulder.:) Ed
When I was in Vietnam we set up a bunch of 55-gallon barrels out on the perimeter, filled them with water and then shot them with M-79 HE rounds. That was a real hoot and a real blast. What a great weapon! :)

ETA: It's a wonder we never got hurt doing all the crazy things we used to do!

#34 ·
I watched a guy in training put an M-79 HE round into the grass about 20 feet in front of me. :eek:
Luckily it hadn't spun to the end of the inertial fuse yet.
After that, I moved about 50 feet back to watch the rest of the show.

Today he is a PJ or para rescue troop with about two dozen tours in A and I
Much respect to him. It takes a real stud to go down, find, and rescue some guy they don't even know, all by himself. PJs are pure hard core heroes, in my book.

God bless and protect him.

#37 ·
Have you priced marbles recently???

An M2 at anywhere around a K out. Loved to reach OUT and touch!
The M60 in the door of a Huey. Especially if I was in the port door and the chopper was turning a-port. I was a machinegunner for a while in Uncle Sam's School for Boys.
An M3 with lots of magazines so you could hose down the area and keep the other guys' heads down.
An AK with tracers. It was eerie watching the Halloween green hornets going downrange. Dang scary seeing them coming toward you, too!

It's all fun when you don't have to buy the boolits!

Nowadays, the Mini-14 is my fun (long) gun.
Welcome to the board. The heck of it is 5.56 isn't much cheaper than 7.62.

#36 · (Edited)
An M2 at anywhere around a K out. Loved to reach OUT and touch!
The M60 in the door of a Huey. Especially if I was in the port door and the chopper was turning a-port. I was a machinegunner for a while in Uncle Sam's School for Boys.
An M3 with lots of magazines so you could hose down the area and keep the other guys' heads down.
An AK with tracers. It was eerie watching the Halloween green hornets going downrange. Dang scary seeing them coming toward you, too!

It's all fun when you don't have to buy the boolits!

Nowadays, the Mini-14 is my fun (long) gun.

#40 ·
FA is pretty hard to beat for a "normal" person

although, this rig puts a smile on my face every time I shoot it.
quiet. reliable. super cheap to shoot. accurate. fun.

(I have a buckmark the suppressor goes on too...its almost as fun)

-

this one is a VERY close second:

-

#41 ·
M256 120mm Smoothbore cannon :) (Tankers!) The M240 7.62 NATO coax is fun too (with the M1s Fire Control System that thing is surgical).

My dream machine is still the MK19. Never got to touch one, let alone fire it.

On the civilian side, I absolutely love the .17 HMR from my Savage 93R17 BTVS (surgical as well).

#42 ·
No it's been a while on bying marbles. Went hog wild yrs. Ago buying all that i found. Got out of sling shooting do to job and piroties. Didn't relize what i was missing. Great past time with the grandsons. Back into it now. Found out barnett makes slingshots now, better then the oldones. Bought 3 for the 2 kids an the big kid. Still had 20 plus bags of marbles so setting ok a ammo for now.

#43 ·
M2; M16A1 (no burst mode, "nice" trigger); M-N 30-59, accurate, great trigger, very impressive when shooting, the best $60 gun I ever bought, would be worth every penny even at 10x s the cost; Remington 10x, a .22 single-shot tack driver.

Don't know if this counts - a 5"38 deck gun from a Coast Guard cutter

#44 ·
As unexciting as it sounds, my uncles old Ruger .44mag Deerfield carbine.

My second choice would be my HKG3. The range I used to go to, had a metal roof. The muzzle blast from the MB on that thing, made you think you were hearing the thunder of God. People hated it. It was bitchin!

Least favorite, was my uncles Ruger No. 1 in .338mag. Spent all day shooting the HK, my 10FP (.308), and his old 1913 Springfield. Shoulder is sore as hell at this point. Hands me the No. 1, felt like someone ran a chefs knife through my shoulder. Shot it 2 more times. Each shot was worse. Should have seen the mark after that.

#46 ·
My fav is the one that has a barrel and trigger and goes boom when the trigger is pulled. Owned/shot many different ones from being in the military and my own personal stash now. But i'm just a gun nut haha.

The only one I DIDNT like was the mossberg plinkster, damn thing would jam every 3-5 rounds. Sold it for $50 to put on a 10/22 after the 3rd time shooting.

#48 ·
Wasr

Fellow next to me at the range was shooting a semiauto AK and I asked him what kind it was. He offered to let me fire a mag through it and he hadn't ever fired a Mini before so we both got to try new types of rifles. He really liked the BC folding stock and Millet red dot (so do I). That WASR was naturally easy for me to shoot well and I was sold then and there.

#50 ·
When I was 19 I traded for a Colt AR in 9mm...... that gun would shoot faster than any other semi auto I have ever shot.
Unfortunately I traded it off not knowing what I had. The good news is I traded it for a Mini-14 in 222 that I still own.
Now that I think about it that 9mm was a very fun gun to shoot

#52 ·
The MK-19 is a good one, put quite a few rounds through that. The M-2 with rufus rounds is hard to beat also. Very few things beat a fully automatic MG with explosive rounds, but my number one would have to be an M24. Laying down shooting targets at 1200m with 7.62 is a great feeling.

#54 ·
THE BEAST
Over 2000 rounds through it. It's had 650gr's, shotshells, all sorts of home-load 200gr "500spl" lead ball, the only gun I trust in any sort of bear country.
Even killed a VW Bug with it last year.
Yea, He's gotten uglier the all hell with all the dirt and gravel and grime, he's due for a duracoat soon.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.