Perfect Union banner

Problems with red dot sight

19K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  3GUNNAH 
#1 ·
I got a used gun yesterday that came with a red dot sight on it. I've never owned or used one of these before and I get the basic idea. But, as I move my eye in relation to the sight the dot moves slightly on the target. How do I know when my eye is in the right spot? Or is this sight broken? It isn't moving much within a reasonable change of position, but it seems like I need to try and keep the dot in the center of the lens? Is my perception of the center good enough?

Thanks, I tried to find this info online but couldn't even find a manual to download.

#5 ·
...but it seems like I need to try and keep the dot in the center of the lens...
Not so. Red dots are designed so that what you see is what you hit assuming a proper zero. Zero the dot much as you would a scope, with a proper grip, cheek weld, etc. After that, when you are looking through the optic at the target you will see a red dot on the point where your round will strike. Make sure you know your hold over/under though. For example, on an AR-15 zeroed at 50 yards (with a red dot that is co-witnessed with your irons) your rounds will impact approximately 2-3" high at 100 yards and 2-3 inches low at 10 yards. Also keep in mind that most red dots are designed to be shot with both eyes open.

#6 ·
whoa you guys are assuming that he is using a high quality red dot that has little or no parallax error. If it is a cheep dot you had better use a consitent cheakweld. This error tends to decrease at 50+ yards. Even my eotech as some error at very close ranges. Not enough to matter for self defence but would screw up a shot on a squirl.

#7 ·
Thanks for your help, the red dot is a Barska 30mm, a cheap but cheerful unit, and I had problems with it when looking through it with it about 10 inches away from my eye. When I started looking through it an inch or two away it started working compensating for the position of my eye. As the mounting on this rifle works at these small distances there is no problem. Yet, I'm wondering if it is my eyes, or interaction with my progressive bifocals, or the fact that my left eye is dominant that is creating these problems at distance, but I couldn't use this sight on a handgun and the 5 others I've tried at stores all do the same thing for me. For me it seems to work best when the distance from the diode to the front lens is about the distance from behind the diode to my eye. Why this is I have no idea.

#8 ·
I am not one of those guys that turns his nose up to something just because its inexpensive. If a Barska is a good dot I would use it. However its not. I tried one and it was lousy. I stronlgy suggest buying one that is advertised as parralax free. I have seen em around for about $80

#9 ·
Just my two cents.

I have never used a red dot before. I did buy one last week and am going to try it out Friday. I bought the cheapest one I could (trueglow?) just to see if this type of scope is something I might use or if I prefer traditional scope.

In setting it up I noticed the dot moving all over the place when I moved my head in relation to the bore. since it is an "el cheapo" model I'm going to have to give my non professional opinion and say that zeroing the sight with a good check weld and holding that same "configuration" when firing is important. Having read that some higher end red dots allow you to move your head around but still have the dot on target makes me think I might want to upgrade soon.

Also shooting with both eyes open so you can see everything else instead of having tunnel vision focusing on a set of cross hairs seems more along the lines of fast moving and shooting. I noticed by keeping both eyes open you see double sights, but only one dot of you maintain the cheek position. Keep your target in focus ignore the double vision of two scopes and the dot will be on the target.

If I'm way off base let me know. I'll have more answers Friday afternoon. I'm taking the 10/22 and a bunch of targets out for some up close, fast target to target practice.

AK

#11 ·
Okay, I lied. I had to wait till Sunday to get out and try the red dot. The wife insisted I finish putting int he bamboo floor first...... Ugh.

Well I only got out near dusk and it was -15F at the range but I did get it sighted in more or less and within 20 shots was hitting one 4" target after another at 50 feet. Finding the next target was much quicker since both eyes are open. I can see why people like these things, you are able to be two steps ahead in picking the next target while still hitting the last one you found.

I had over looked the idea that the dot may not be centered in the scope picture... The scope is mounted solid, the bullets were hitting a little low and too the right so I adjusted the dot to match the impact point. The dot position isn't dead center in the sight. But the sight body isn't important, having the dot over the target is. I took the approach I would with a regular scope and wanted the impact point dead center in the sight picture. With the red dot there isn't a sight picture, just get the dot over the target and shoot.

Maybe when it warms up (April) and the days get longer than 6 hours again (April) I'll be able to get out and really take some time getting used to the unit.

#12 ·
If the rains abate this afternnoon I'll be able to try the red dot out at a range. I've shot this gun a few times but only using the irons.

But here is my question, since the red dot seems to work via a subjective process, if I hand this weapon to someone else with the dot adjusted to work for me, will they be able to use it with any accuracy at all?

#13 ·
Sights are adjustable for a reason and people do somtimes require different settings. However this is easily overcome with a little mental error corection. I have two kids and a wife that have begun shooting the .22's. We all use sights adjusted for myself and they are very accurate with them.

#15 ·
I tried out this SKS with the red dot and though I could keep it on a large target at 50 yards, it was far inferior to the metal sights. Maybe it's this red dot or maybe it's me, but they don't seem to work for me. I've put a small regular scope on the rifle and hope to do some shooting tomorrow while the bird is in the oven.

I'll have to check out an expensive one to see if that will work for me but having the magnification helps too, since I going for 100 yard targets.

#16 ·
I was taught to zero my iron sights first and then install the red dot sight (an Aimpoint Comp M in my case) and while in a stable shooting position, have a buddy turn the adjustment knobs until the red dot is perched even with the top of the front sight post. Fire a confirmation zero using the red dot sight and you're good to go. You may have to tweek the adjustment but, for me, I've always found that it puts me extremely close. I did find that using the aimpoint, it's better to use a low power setting as at max brightness, the dot is "fuzzy" around the edges (could be my eyes) and it's harder, for me anyway, to get it centered.

When I shoot weak hand with the rifle (an AR), the dot appears to float out in front of the rifle and unless I close my dominant eye, I don't really have a classic sight picture, but since I know that the dot is zeroed to the front sight, when it (the dot) is on the target, I know that the sights are lined up too. Granted, I only use this at CQB distances with the longest shot I've taken in training being about 30 yards but it works.

As always, YMMV

#17 ·
I did something like this fixing the rifle in a vice pointing at target with the irons and then adjusted the dot to same position. As I moved up to the dot I could move it a few inches on the target at 50 yards by moving my eye position. When I shot it using the dot I got 4 inch groups, but the dot covered about a 4 inch radius on the target when bright enough to see. In short I'm going for magnification and a less subjective sighting system.

#19 ·
Precision Red Dot??????
The only one that works is an Eotech with its Circle dot reticle. The center dot is 1MOA and the circle is 65 MOA. the small dot for precise shooting and the circle for quick shooting. Eotechs will also co-witness with AR-15 sights if mounted on flat tops.I like to set-up mine with the center dot sitting on top of the front sight post of an AR when viewed thru the rear sight.
The addition of a Flip 3x magnifier will increase its effectiveness and will allow you to reach out to 400 meters, sometimes further.

#20 ·
Actually most people tend to be more accurate with a quality RDS than irons. The eotech is not the only one that has a 1 moa dot. The ATN has 1 moa. The bushnell does aswell and so do many others. You can not use an RDS for precise work until you get one that is corrected for paralax. That is something people overlook until they try 2 of them side by side. A quality RDS is not subjective in its use. Also I find the 1 moa dots to be over rated as they are more of a 1moa splotch. The aimpoint may have a larger dot but the edges are crisp. They also make low power magnified dots that may work very well for older eyes hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.