Perfect Union banner

Rossi 357 Mag Single Shot?

12K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ratshooter 
#1 ·
I was looking on the Rossi site and they show that they use to make a single shot 357 mag rifle. One blued and one in stainless steel. Has anyone seen one? They show they are dicontinued.

The retail price was about $210 for the SS and $190 for the blued gun. Plus they have a weight of a little over 5 pounds.

I have a call in to Taurus to see if they know of a distibutor that might have any left. As usuall they haven't returned my call and will not answer the phone.

This would make a perfect Rook & Rabbit type rifle, a style that really blows my hair back.

I think this would make a great truck, house, ranch type of gun. So what do you folks think?

#2 ·
Dunno what to suggest, other than to keep hitting gunbroker or gunsamerica, and have your FFL check his distributors.
You need one, though: it is damn near a perfect rook rifle as-is, but it will quickly become a project rifle because it can easily become the perfect rook rifle if you are even mildly adept with tools.
Ditch the rear open sight for the Williams Guide receiver sight made for the T/C Contender (perfect fit), chop the barrel to about 17" and recrown, install a barrel band type front sight of correct height, recontour and slim the stock and forend, replace the forend screw/sling swivel with a simple flush-head screw, put a barrel-band sling swivel on it, and replace the thick vented recoil pad with a 1/2" solid Pachmayr pad, and you have a perfect English-style rook rifle for "walkin' around" that will take anything from squirrels to whitetail deer.
The wood is a bit cross-grained and simply will not stain up as anything other than boring (no figure at all), but it's a small price to pay. Eventually I may try to find a nice aftermarket stock and forend for mine, but I haven't even finished its transformation yet.
The Rossi action is significantly smaller than the similar NEF, and the hammer has a much better contour. If you're wanting a rook rifle, I'd hold out for the Rossi, rather than getting the NEF.

Cogswell

#3 ·
Thanks, I had just about given up on anyone replying back.

So you have one? thats great. I never even heard of them until a few days ago. I finally got someone at Taurus to answer the phone and he said they haven't been made in 3 years. I told them they need to advertise more.

I have checked the auction sites and have had my dealer calling around. No luck so far.

The NEF is the only other game in town. I want the open sights and the only way to get them is to buy another caliber and send the gun in for a new barrel. The 357 from the factory only has a scope base.

What I really want is a single shot in 32 mag. I have a Marlin 32 mag and its a hoot. With 2.5grs of tightgroup and a 76gr bullet its as silent as CB 22s are.

Most people don't even know what a R&R rifle is. I have been reading about them for the last 30 years and have wanted one ever since.

Oh well, pursuit may be better than possession.

#4 ·
Got one about 4 years ago. Stainless, old model before they started fiting safety catches. Unfortunatly haven't got round to playing with it properly yet.

Have an original .300 Rook on a Martini action but figured that .357 would be caser to reload. Shot the Martini with Black Powder, cases swaged from 30 M1 carbine & lead bullets resized to proper diameter. Haven't used it past 150 yards but worked well on both paper & goats.

Google "Greybeard" & check out both the "Handirifle" & Rossi" forums. Aparently the NEF in 357 mag has an overlong long chamber & a current fad is to convert them to 357 max.

Rook & Rabbit are great guns.

#6 ·
I was looking on the Rossi site and they show that they use to make a single shot 357 mag rifle. One blued and one in stainless steel. Has anyone seen one? They show they are dicontinued.

The retail price was about $210 for the SS and $190 for the blued gun. Plus they have a weight of a little over 5 pounds.

I have a call in to Taurus to see if they know of a distibutor that might have any left. As usuall they haven't returned my call and will not answer the phone.

This would make a perfect Rook & Rabbit type rifle, a style that really blows my hair back.

I think this would make a great truck, house, ranch type of gun. So what do you folks think?
Not sure if your still on your quest for one of these .357s, 4 years is a long time LOL But I have a blue one that's only been shot to make sure it wasn't defective. :D

#8 ·
;)Another possibility is that ruger made a 357 cal #3 carbine years back called the california highway patrol/commemoritive or something like that!Probably pay collector prices for them nowadays tho!I've been wanting to send a NEF back and get a 357 barrel put on for years-just always seems something else needs attention,but I do have a marlin levergun in that caliber.

#9 ·
Not sure if your still on your quest for one of these .357s, 4 years is a long time LOL But I have a blue one that's only been shot to make sure it wasn't defective
Yanish thanks for raising my dead thread. I haven't been here in a long time. I never did find a Rossi 357 and just sort of gave up. I did find my most wanted gun, a S&W 631 32 magnum J-Frame. I even got it at a decent price.

I did buy a Talo H&R 357 with open sights. It was fun to shoot and very accurate. It was heavy though. Or maybe chunky is a better description. My buddy saw it and wanted it in the worst way so I sold it to him.

And Whofarted (what a screen name) I love single shot guns. I like to be able to change ammo type and bullet design by just removing the load in the chamber. That may have been a real asset a long time ago when game limits were broader and seeing a deer, rabbit, squirrel or some other edible game made it possible to switch loads quickly and quietly and not blow a rabbit to pieces or have to pass on a deer you spotted because you are loaded with the wrong loads in your rifle. A 357 round is plenty for the deer where I hunt. And I can use round ball loads for small game. A round ball load would work just fine for those Sage Hens or whatever they are I see in Colorado that are supposed to be good to eat. So a SS 357 has a place in the hunting field.

Also Ross Seyfied wrote about medium sized BP single shots and took a 36 cal elk hunting. He killed a Cow Elk with one shot at about 75 yards IIRC. The load was a 160gr lead bullet going 1600fps. Just about exactly what you get with a 357 rifle. I would have no problem hunting an Elk with my Marlin 357. But it would never be my first pick. Or even my second pick. But if it was all I had I would make it work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.