Perfect Union banner

Survival Rifle review Springfield M6 Scout .22/.410

44K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  W.R.Buchanan 
#1 ·
Enclosed is a walk thru development of the Springfield M6 Scout rifle. The intent of the modifications is to create a survival rifle which can be carried discretely in my pannier box on the KLR650. The rifle shoots both 22LR and .410 shotgun shells. It breaks down into 2 halves quickly and contains ample storage space for a few survival items. The gun barrels are 18.5 inches in length and if scope mounted is a known a "tack driver". These combo guns are out of production and hence, no longer available. I have seen them in used condition for sale for $200 to $800.

Rifle ready for modifications

Aimpoint scope at 1x power with 2x adapter if required. Off of E-bay for ~$55.

scope mount

.410 iron sight

transition to .22 sight

.22 bead sight

markings on reciever

trigger guard....Need to remove this item. Notice hammer is release by squeezing the trigger

See less See more
#3 ·

apply self adhesive backing camo decal

nice and tight finish

repeat for the .410 barrel

like so....

articulated into storage position

add some of thet bed liner to the bottom of the .410 barrel so, it will not scuff when resting on ground

remove the shell holder

remove stock top lid

#9 ·

hammer + hammer safety

pin joint

top latch release button

included survival stuff

when stowed

in sil-net waterproof bag

Now I can take this plinker on backwoods excursions and hide in locked panniers without worry. Easy to shoot and meets my expectations.
Keith

#11 ·
Video of M6 Scout in action:

I've decided to swap out the aim point type optical scope for a real scope. The aim point was ok, but now I can use both the 2.5x power real scope for the .22lr barrel and the stock iron sights for the .410. This makes for a more versatile and accurate gun.

new scope and 'see thru' rings installed. Scope is a 2.5x30 size with 6 inch eye relief.

after some camo decal applied. The material did not stick very well to the scope. Scope was ~$50 on e-bay.

see thru rings for .410 shot gun (lower barrel)

6 inch eye relief (this is where your eye can focus thru the scope)

windage and elevation adjustments

still fits in the happy trails panniers

can fully close lid

#12 ·

and secure with this 4x keyless lock system

in use mode

lift latch...clears the scope

fold mode

drop shells in back of barrel

see thru rings

19.5 inches in length...from what I understand, no shot gun barrel can be less than 18 inches

storage mode. One pin separates the barrels from the reciever

#14 ·
You mis labeled this thread it is not a review. This is a well documented mod and will be lost forever if you don't get it stickied or somethin. I love the bike the gun and the concept. I would trash the scope though. That scope will likely fail on you when you really need it most. I know the open sights really suck on the scout but with all the work you already put into it maybe a little mod for better irons or in order. The whole point of that thing is its small compact and stores extremely well. Should absolutly be functional when u need it. That scope is the weakest link.

#18 ·
The scope is a long eye relief, 2.5x magnification style. No issues so far. E-bay buy. I have not shot the .410 with the scope mount yet, however I do believe the scope was developed for pistol shooting, so should take take the impulse shock of the .410. I like the .22 storage within the .410 barrel though (while in transport). That's a great tip! It's a neat little gun.
Keithm

#19 ·
I know that this is a pretty old thread but being a newb here 'bouts I just had to comment on such a well documented build. I sure wish that the M6 was still being produced. I imagine that it didn't sell enough units to satisfy the bean counters. I'm sort of afraid of the same thing happening to Marlin since Remington bought them. Marlin wasn't afraid to build some of the more exotic calibers for the big game hunter but probably not very many of the
480's and the like being sold each year to suit the suits. I hope that I'm wrong.

#21 ·
Kieth: I have had an M6 for 20+ years and shot the hell out of it.

I really enjoyed your build out. You covered alot of bases!

I would suggest getting a 1/4" bolt and nut and put it on the gun someplace in case the takedown pin gets lost.

This is great thread and shows some serious creativity.

Good Job.

Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.