Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 14:45   #1
Points: 6,350, Level: 51 Points: 6,350, Level: 51 Points: 6,350, Level: 51
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Hi-Point Carbine Cleaning?

Howdy,

I finally picked up a Hi-Point 9mm carbine last week. I always walked past them at the gunshop but I have been wanting a pistol caliber carbine and I kept hearing lots of good things about these carbines and the company that builds them.

Anyhow, I'm wondering what cleaning and/or maintenance folks are doing on this weapon. I've heard of guys going a thousand rounds with little or no cleaning, some who only clean the bore and others who take the time to tear it down and do a "real" cleaning.

Like many non-military arms, this thing was not made to be taken apart without tools- not too complicated in my opinion but you have to unscrew a lot of bolts and screws and it doesn't seem like a good idea to do that too often.

Are 9mm Boresnakes long enough to use in a carbine?

Any advice and first-hand knowledge appreciated!

Good shooting.
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 16:38   #2
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
Howdy,

I finally picked up a Hi-Point 9mm carbine last week. I always walked past them at the gunshop but I have been wanting a pistol caliber carbine and I kept hearing lots of good things about these carbines and the company that builds them.

Anyhow, I'm wondering what cleaning and/or maintenance folks are doing on this weapon. I've heard of guys going a thousand rounds with little or no cleaning, some who only clean the bore and others who take the time to tear it down and do a "real" cleaning.

Like many non-military arms, this thing was not made to be taken apart without tools- not too complicated in my opinion but you have to unscrew a lot of bolts and screws and it doesn't seem like a good idea to do that too often.

Are 9mm Boresnakes long enough to use in a carbine?

Any advice and first-hand knowledge appreciated!

Good shooting.
Boresnake works. I never broke down my old 9mm to clean, neither did the previous owners. Would give a good spraydown with carb cleaner after a couple of thousand rounds, then some lightweight lube. When it quits working, take it apart and clean it though it is a pain. After years of abuse, send it back when it dies and you will get a new one.
Old 11-26-2008, 20:57   #3
Points: 6,350, Level: 51 Points: 6,350, Level: 51 Points: 6,350, Level: 51
Last Achievements

Fired my carbine for the first time today...

Wow! I couldn't be more pleased with the accuracy and reliability, especially considering the low price and great warranty!

I started shooting at pistol ranges and worked my way out. I was OK out of the box but after a few clicks of the fully adjustable peep I was right on.

At 50 yards, I was putting my rounds in a group the size of an apple.

At 100 yards, I was able to hit 12x6 metal plates pretty often. And this is with Remington UMC and CCI 115g and 124g ammo.

Maybe it was just my gun but my old Marlin 9mm carbine couldn't hit anything beyond 25 yards.

I'm very glad I grabbed this carbine while they still had some at my local gunshop. When and if they release the .45 version, I will buy it in a minute.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 00:58   #4
Points: 2,742, Level: 31 Points: 2,742, Level: 31 Points: 2,742, Level: 31
Last Achievements

I want one of those so bad, I hate Kalifornia. It is nice to hear that they work well too, my brother has a Hipoint 9mm pistol and it is great for the price. Ugliest goodlooking rifle ever, and a great price, factory camo for only 20 bucks more!

Dick
Big Dick Dubloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 17:18   #5
Points: 24,731, Level: 95 Points: 24,731, Level: 95 Points: 24,731, Level: 95
Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5%
Last Achievements

ya gotta go with the ATI stock... makes it much less HIDEOUS!! LOL

Indyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 20:59   #6
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Indyarms View Post
ya gotta go with the ATI stock... makes it much less HIDEOUS!! LOL

Sadly they only make one for the 9mm, not the .40 or I would have one
Old 12-07-2008, 07:36   #7
Points: 24,731, Level: 95 Points: 24,731, Level: 95 Points: 24,731, Level: 95
Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5%
Last Achievements

AH... gotcha... Yeah, thats a bummer...

HOW DIFFERENT is the .40 from the 9??? I have never handled the 40... so I dunno how it is any different... I just wonder why you couldnt "tweak" a stock for the 9 to FIT the .40...

If anyone has THIS info I would love to learn the differences in the carbine design between the two models.

Indyarms is offline   Reply With Quote