Mini mag's at 100 yards - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By hottarod
  • 1 Post By Marlin 45 carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2017, 17:52   #1

Mini mag's at 100 yards

Obviously this is .22.

I had wind gusting in 3 directions and it was hard to wait until it would calm down to take a shot but here it is. I was using my range bag for a rest and it is inherently a bit unstable but it is what it is and more realistic than sledding up the gun.

The smaller circle inside the central group is a double hit. I got 6 rounds in the group. This is a smallish target. The 7 ring is 1 inch so that gives an idea of how small the others are.

The 6 shot group is about 1 1/2 inches. The one high and right may have been me, not sure. The other 3 were random custs of wind all over the place. Still, I'm good. Everything was in the 8 ring or better except for 1 wacky shot way over to the left.

This was with my Marlin 60, 22 inch barrel stainless. I have tried all sorts of ammo now and it will shoot anything which it has never done before. Replacing the feed throat, re-clocking the ejector and installing a new recoil spring got me going again.

I'm going to take the 10/22 out and shoot it also at 100 and I will be able to compare the guns but some of it is also how well the gun likes the ammo. So far, looks like the mini-mags is all I will be shooting at 100 and over yards.
Marlin 45 carbine and Beck like this.
hottarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 18:30   #2

Marlin has a reputation for accurate guns, this is proof. have glass mounted?
Old 05-01-2017, 18:19   #3

I would not even be able to see the target with open sights. I have a cheap Bushnell on it right now and was shooting at 6 power. I will set the least power where I can still actually see the 10 ring well enough to try and aim at the bulls eye. I have eye damage and corneal scarring which has driven me to optics.

Old 05-01-2017, 18:37   #4
RJF

Yup. Being able to see the target is a challenge with us older folks (COSteve excepted).

Scopes start to be a more special "accessory".

The older one gets, the higher the magnification, me thinks. Or, we just shoot shorter ranges...
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 19:24   #5

and shotguns
RJF likes this.
Old 05-10-2017, 21:39   #6

My first test of my 10/22 with the green mountain bentz/bull barrel showed that it will shoot mini-mag's all day and they are all over the target. This was a no wind day too. It seems that the barrel I have is fairly customized for standard velocity ammo which it will shoot very well. In hind sight now, maybe I should have bought one of the sporter barrels instead but I can live with it. I have one gun that will shoot the high velocity rounds fairly well and another that will shoot standard velocity rounds extremely well. With a 50 yard 0, standard velocity stuff will drop around 6.5 to 7 inches so if I want to try and get back on the bulls eye that will take 26 to 28 up clicks on the scope. I am going to do that test next with the 10/22. So far, it seems to like all the standard velocity ammo I have tried including the RWS, CCI std velocity, Aquila rifle match and Federal gold medal match.

Understanding all this now, if I worked for Ruger in the 10/22 area I would campaign for an easier changeable barrel system in the receiver. This way you can have the best of all possibilities. I seem to remember some old .22 rifles that had both a .22 barrel and a 22 magnum interchangeable barrel. Considering the difference in the rounds, maybe it was a single shot bolt action or something.

Last edited by hottarod; 05-10-2017 at 21:58.